The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Lenses for the D800?

Aaron

Once again, read the text in the brochure:

"Below are some of the lenses you can use for enhanced sharpness."

It might as well have said:

"We'd like to sell you some new lenses. The following lenses have high margins for us."

or:

"Here is a non-complete list of good lenses. Period."

I wouldn't read anything into that list WRT quality of lenses that are not listed.
I did read it ;) Thats just one way to interpret that sentence.

My concern is that the PC-E lenses will have more issues due to the fact that they wont have lens auto corrections (fringing etc..) applied in camera or automatically in conversion as would regular lenses.

Seems strange that nikon are not pushing the very lenses which would solve some of the diffraction issues caused by pushing for smaller apertures for dept of field.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A very nice alternative to the 180/2.8 is the Sigma 150/2.8 macro. It's around the same size/weight and price, focuses faster, is weather sealed, has OS and obviously close focusing too. Yes, I know, it's a Sigma, but it's a good one.

Lars

A very nice alternative to the 180/2.8 is the Sigma 150/2.8 macro. It's around the same size/weight and price, focuses faster, is weather sealed, has OS and obviously close focusing too. Yes, I know, it's a Sigma, but it's a good one.
Yep I've been eyeing the 150 for a while as I could use a macro lens. It has a collar too, doesn't it?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I did read it ;) Thats just one way to interpret that sentence.

My concern is that the PC-E lenses will have more issues due to the fact that they wont have lens auto corrections (fringing etc..) applied in camera or automatically in conversion as would regular lenses.

Seems strange that nikon are not pushing the very lenses which would solve some of the diffraction issues caused by pushing for smaller apertures for dept of field.
actually, looking at the mtf charts, I tend to agree with their list.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Bob. Well they picked all the new glass and 1.4 mostly . So what's the deal on the 24-70

• AF-S NIKKOR 14–24mm f/2.8G ED
• AF-S NIKKOR 24–70mm f/2.8G ED
• AF-S NIKKOR 70–200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
• AF-S NIKKOR 16–35mm f/4G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 24–120mm f/4G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 200–400mm f/4G ED VR II
• AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED
• AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G
• AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G
• AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II
• AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
• AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
• AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR
• AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED
• AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Guy Mancuso

I think that a pretty versatile lens for model work is the 105 micro
-bob
What's funny Bob is they don't have that on the list and that lens is one sharp puppy. Frankly I think the list is a little bias to the most expensive it's class

dmeckert

the 85/1.4G is brilliant...very sharp even wide open...and it has a gorgeous fall-off to the focus, and of course great bokeh. i really adore it. i'll have a tough time selling it off someday when nikon finally produces a 135/1.8 like the sony ZA. lol

if you don't mind manual focus, the zeiss 100/2 is kind of mind blowing. blindingly sharp wide open, and incredibly dimensional looking. i was testing it around the same time i was testing MFD, and often mistook the two...and that was on a DX sensor.

Guy Mancuso

For me the 85 is the ticket as the 110 on my DF was which is about a 90. Here I may have to break down for the G as this is the money lens. I still think the 180 though regardless of charts. The Sigma 150 is just to short for the runway stuff I do now 4 times a year. Plus it's good for podium stuff with execs.

Guy Mancuso

Works for me . Just read some reviews and it looks good. I remember when it first came out it got a lot of good press. My last Nikon I think was a D300 so not so long ago. Well I have some time to chew on it all. No big hurry, I'm just not a big zoom guy. Never was really.

pophoto

Personally, the 85mm f/1.4G and 24mm f1.4G are great lenses. The Nikon 24mm f1.4G may even be better than my Canon 24 f1.4L II lens, however, it is not far behind, the Canon 24mm TSE is way sharper but not a fast lens and no AF, I'm saying just for comparison. The 14-24 almost needs no comment, so I won't.

Most Macro lenses are high resolving lenses, although I think my Nikon 105mm Macro VR is better than my Canon 100mm f2.8L IS II at the edges (no proof), but I was using the Nikon on 12MP FF and the Canon on the 22MP 5D2.

I also feel Nikon's 70-200mm f2.8II is a very good lens, but again Canon's is better.

Ultimately the point is if you are going Nikon, most of their newer lenses are very good, and you're going to use Nikon glass despite it being a tad inferior to some of the competition. We all know we don't need the best and most major brands, for example the Nikon N lenses, Sony Zeiss and G, and Canon L lenses being newer is better.

I started out with the Nikon D700, and thought I'd save by using older lenses, but as soon as I made the jump, starting with the 24-70mmG, I replaced all my older glass. All the newer coating makes for a better overall look and control.

Lastly, I felt the Nikon 35mm f1.4G is very boring compared the to Canon 35mm f1.4 and being an older lens due for a refresh, but is there another AF choice?

Hope these quick comments help!

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Sounds good yea the 85 is the question . Sounds like the Sigma is also something to look at. I kind of need a good fashion lens in the 85. The 180 is a given. The 14-24 I would like to have as I know that is really good . I guess I can't escape the 35 1.4 than
Just got a 14-24, and yeah - it's very good.
I have an 85/1.8G on order with B&H.
Will probably get a 35/2D and AIS 105/2.5, just because they're nice and inexpensive used.
A 24-70/2.8 is in the cards once I sell off the Sony.
And a 70-200/2.8 VR II.
Probably a PC-E 45.
And a 16 Fisheye.

The Mamiya 645 APO 200/2.8 is a fine lens on the D7000 though a little long, and needs to be stopped down to f/5.6. It should really come into its own on the D800. The Macro 120/4 is very nice as well. Maybe I'll get a Mirex adapter for the 55/2.8 instead of a PC-E...

D&A

Yes, it has, a detachable one. And it has a real lens hood. The one on the Nikkor 180 is convenient but far too short. Unfortunately, the lens has grown a bit since the previous version. It's now 1,150 grams.

Here are some samples taken with the Sigma 150 and the SD1:

APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sample Image Gallery - SIGMA CORPORATION
Although 150mm may be a bit short, if sharpness across the frame is ultimately the objective, I found each sample of the Sigma I tested, superior for general shooting at all distances superior any sample of the Nikon 180mm f2.8 . The Sigma is this case is "that good" and has a rem,oveable tripod mount. To keep weight/size down, the non OS version would be an alternative to the current OS version. Used at macro range up to 1:1, it stands up to the best of them.

A good kit would be:

1. Nikon 14-24 f2.8
2. Nikon 35mm f1.4
3. Nikon 85mm f1.4 or Sigma 85mm f1.4 which is a good alternative but there is some sample variation. The new Nikon 85mm f1.8 looks promising from the files I've seen.
4. Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro or if size/money is not a factor, the Nikon 200 f2 which is simply in the class of the near equivalent Leica R lens.

Dave (D&A)

Aaron

I think that a pretty versatile lens for model work is the 105 micro
-bob
It's a good lens but i cant use it for portrait work- it's too slow to auto focus.
Even with the focus limiter set to .5m its still slow.....
Might be ok for static model work but if you are doing anything fast moving (a.k.a- a child) I would pass on it.

But its sharp sharp sharp and very solidly made.