The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Lenses for the D800?

Aaron

What's funny Bob is they don't have that on the list and that lens is one sharp puppy. Frankly I think the list is a little bias to the most expensive it's class
It's on the list alright, last one..... and yes, it's comparatively a bargain!

MMPhoto

I am waiting for the first body to arrive. I just hope that my prime fix focal AF-D lenses will deliver at their ultimate f-stop setting.

20 mm, 24 mm, 35 mm 50 mm, 85 mm.

I will just wait and see when I have it.

NicholasRab

A very nice alternative to the 180/2.8 is the Sigma 150/2.8 macro. It's around the same size/weight and price, focuses faster, is weather sealed, has OS and obviously close focusing too. Yes, I know, it's a Sigma, but it's a good one.
Just trolling this thread as I have an 800E on order :D

I don't know if the optics have changed between the OS and pre-OS versions of the 150/2.8 sigma macro, but I have this in a HSM Canon mount and am very unimpressed. Yes, everyone said it was sharp when I purchased it. Stopped down it's decent, wide open I find it soft. I mean quite soft, using it for portraits at 2.8 it was too soft for my tastes, and I don't need pin-sharp for that kind of work, personally.

So, if anyone else actually owns the lens, and can call it sharp, consider it, but if all you are hearing are rumors of sharpness, well, caveat emptor.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, it's changed. There are more elements (19 vs 16) and it's heavier and longer. It's supposed to be sharper, but the old one had a good reputation too, except the sample variation that is a danger with all Sigma lenses. I haven't actually tried the new one though.

D&A

Just trolling this thread as I have an 800E on order :D

I don't know if the optics have changed between the OS and pre-OS versions of the 150/2.8 sigma macro, but I have this in a HSM Canon mount and am very unimpressed. Yes, everyone said it was sharp when I purchased it. Stopped down it's decent, wide open I find it soft. I mean quite soft, using it for portraits at 2.8 it was too soft for my tastes, and I don't need pin-sharp for that kind of work, personally.

So, if anyone else actually owns the lens, and can call it sharp, consider it, but if all you are hearing are rumors of sharpness, well, caveat emptor.
I've shot and tested more than one sample of both the original non OS version as well as the newer OS one. Optically they are very close and as most have found, exceptionally sharp wide open, whether at infinity or min distance. Again thats what most have also confirmed. I think as was mentioned here in this thread, with Sigma, it's often predicated on finding a good sample and although Sigma has improved its sample to sample variation, sub par lens samples are quite often found. It sounds like yours may have fallen into this group.

As I wrote in a post above, the Sigma easily beat the Nikon 180 f2.8 at all f-stops thoughout normal focusing range.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

aboudd

I have the 645D. I also ordered the D800E. Why? Because I have Nikon PC and PC-E lenses for the Nikon D3s for my architectural work and Pentax doesn't make one for the 645/D. The Hartblei alternative I tried was inferior. As to which lenses will work best on the D800, there is only one way to find out - use them. To judge anything from photos on line makes little sense. Nikon knows that we all have a significant investment in their glass. For them to produce a camera that makes their glass look inferior would be a major mistake. My guess is the current versions of their pro-oriented glass will perform just fine.

D&A

Just curious if anyone has any experience with the 16-35 F4 G
Many love this lens (especially with it having "VR"), yet I may be the exception....but due to it's incredibly excessively "high" barrel distortion at 16mm (decreasing to approx 20-22mm), this lens was an instant "no-go" from the first time I was pressed into service using it for interior, close quarter group shots. Sure for landscapes it has decent-good sharpness (where often this distortion won't be an issue) and architectural straight lines in many cases can be fixed post processing...but as I wrote in a post a long time ago, attempt to use this lens in very close quarters with group shots, and you'll have the most interesting look of "aliens from outer space" than you can ever imagine. The distortion levels at the wide end exhibits some of the highest levels from any Nikon zoom! Yes, meticulous post processing did go a long way in bringing peoples head and bodies back to a degree of normalcy, but at the same time, the straight lines and objects in the room, then took on the appearance of a amusement funhouse (ie: the rest of the room appeared to be shot with a fisheye). If it was a matter of adjusting a few images at great length with a enormous amount of time in my particular situation, anything was possible, but not when the number of different but similar condition images amounted to well over 150 (and some of these individuals were national and internationally recognized people to make matters worse).

Besides the superb Nikon 14-24, some samples (careful selection is required) of the older but particularly good Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 does well, but on a D800, might only hold up at around f8, especially at 17mm, it's weakest focal length until at least f4.5-5.6. Both these latter two lenses show little distortion and although the 17-35mm f2.8 is not in the same league as the 14-24, it is a pro level performing zoom when used on 12MP cameras, especially given it's attractive focal length range. I can't say how well it will hold up on the D800 but I think it's shortcomings on higher resolving cameras might be an issue.

Putting aside for the moment the 16-35 VR lens's resolution performance level on the D800/D800e (and whether adaquate), the issue with this lens is it's intended use for partiuclar applications, and only the end user can answer if it's shortcomings will be an issue or not.

That's my own personal take.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Dave it would be a people event lens and this sounds like a no go. I did read about the distortion. I'm just trying to figure out a good least costly lineup to start. I figured the Sigma 150 could work well for headshots and such than turn it into DX mode for a 227mm Runway lens. i get plenty of light on that since i control the program booth. LOL

Than i was thinking the Sigma 85 1.4 for 3/4 length full length fashion stuff.

The tricky part is below that for event crap. I wanted to go 14- 24 for stuff and 35mm for the people stuff. I just don't need a 35 1.4 costing 1800 bucks. I could go with the 24-70 and that seems to be a good option than 85, 150. Not worried about landscape since i am sporting my Phase back and tech cam so that is plenty of horsepower. Its normal commercial shooting is my area of concern with the Nikons. I have been through several Nikon stages in life and they do produce nice lenses.

D&A

Guy, if for example you mentioned that the wide angle zoom you were contemplating purchasing for your specific uses was going to be used on a D700/D3, then I would have instantly recommended a "good" sample of the venerable Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 lens. Other than all "good" samples being weak (quite soft corners etc.) at 17mm when used at f2.8 and a bit at f4, it's a consistant, sharp well performing lens at all other focal length and aperture settings. No it's not in the same calss as the 14-24, but is about the best performing wide angle full frame low distortion 35mm zoom that extends out to the 35mm focal length (where the 14-24 wouldn't be aplicable). It is though showing its age somewhat and although still a superb choice for 12MP cameras, it's somewhat of an uncertainty how it will hold its own on the D800, even at f8? Still, without resorting to the 35mm f1.4, I cannot see any other alternative zoom in this focal length range. The 24-70 f2.8 is very good, but that's one where there is also some sample variation, both in optics as well as mechanically.

If the 24-70 f2.8 is chosen, then one would probably select both the 14-24 and 24-70, but for my particular application, unless I had each lens simultaniously on its own body, lens switching of both lenses using one body, along with the time constraints I had, made that impractical...therefore, a wide angle zoom was the only solution...fortunately or unfortunately. I had to be prepared to quickly have some focal length, usually varying quickly between 18-32mm, so a wide angle zoom had to be chosen as there wasn't adaquate room to move back (or forward) myself.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

I assume if using flash or if available light is sufficiently bright and you can keep the lens stopped down to at least f5.6/8, then for general applications when used on the D800e, it might be sufficient. Of course nothing substitutes for actually trying it out when the body is available. Again my recommendation is just be selective when choosing a given sample of the lens. Early on there were horendous sample to sample variation (saw this with my own testing) and some were simply close to the "canine" variety (and I do love dogs). It took a while for Nikon to sort this out (and there was more consistancy in production), but even on later runs, some seemed to be better than others.

**** ADDITION: I forgot to mention...many samples of the 17-35mm f2.8 lens have the infamous AF-S motor squeek when using in autofocus mode (some even develope this shortly after being new out of the box). Often this meant costly Af-S motor replacement, while other samples go on squeeking to varying degrees for years). This being due to being one of the earliest designs of the Nikon AF-S motor.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

My Pleasure Guy. I overlooked your mentioning of the Sigma 150mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.4 . As I and others have mentioned previously, a good sample (Sigma's lens samples have to be choosen carefully) the 150mm f2.8 is a fine lens, sharp and versitile. The non OS version (the one I use) is the smaller of the two but both have removeable tripod mount if needed. Keep in mind the AF-S type motor used in that lens is more of a slow methodical type, espcially when used at near macro range. It's no speed demon in that regard and may bother some, but is more like Nikon's currrent 50mm f1.4 AF-S lens which some complained was too slow. It's a lens though that I've shot with for years and have rarely been disappointed in.

I only shot with Sigma's new 85mm f1.4 for a very short time, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I felt it was very close to being on-par with Nikon's 85mm f1.4 AF-S in color, sharpnmess and bokeh and certainly an absolute best buy if both are compared. Slight differences existed but it was more a matter of taste than anything else. For a time, there was the ability to get more than $100.00 off this lens from some dealers, making it a steal (in that catagory of lens). I don't beleive that deal is available anymore. Nikon's lens resale if one ever sells them of course much higher, so that may be a factor.

As you know Guy, the new Nikon 85mm f1.8 AF-S lens has thrown a bit of a monkey wrench into that choice of lenses in that focal length, since it appears from most accounts to be very good in many aspects, especially compared to the not very attractive bokeh of its predecessor. Its compact in size when compared to the others if thats a consideration. I haven't shot with it though, but it's price/performance appears to be quite competitive.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes been looking at the Nikon 1.8 too and just not sure on it yet. Little new right now, like to hear on the D800 first on it. I think the Sigma is a safe bet right out of the gate ready to shoot though, reason I figured I can't go wrong. I still have my Sony to cover me until the D800 but it will be sell Sony get Nikon lenses as soon as the D800 is in hand.