The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fotodiox Filter for Nikkor 14-24mm

engel001

I have rarely used my 14-24mm lens outside my home because I am afraid of damaging the front element. Until recently, filter solutions were limited to the bulky Lee system. Now there is a somewhat more manageable system available from Fotodiox. The filter is 145mm and screws into an adapter. With the 800E on order, I think I may be using this lens much more. I also have the 21mm Zeiss ZF.2, so I already have a filter solution at the wide end, just not ultrawide and not a zoom.

Any thoughts in general or experience regarding this?
Quality degradation or experience with the type of filter. Although supposedly multi-coated, one would need to balance pros and cons.
How does one use a polarizer at the wide end of the lens, what can I expect.

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I don't know that filter combination, but I know the lens well (I had two copies over the years).

It's my understanding that, generally, people do not use polarisers on 14mm lenses if including the sky in frame, because the FOV is so wide, the polariser will darken one half of the sky (there will be a dark to light gradient across the sky that's not there in reality) depending on here you are shooting in relation to the sun. Others here may add their experiences, but the new filter system definitely could be used with a UV filter or similar to protect the front element. I used my copies in the field in rough conditions and did not have any problems though.

On the other hand, if the new filter allows mounting of these, grad filters and the like will be very helpful, and is an ingenious design, for sure. I do not know of any grads designed for a 145mm thread, but others may be able to help.

proenca

I have rarely used my 14-24mm lens outside my home because I am afraid of damaging the front element.
Im sorry, I'm not trolling... but say again ?

You bought a 2k lens that you dont use outside your house because you are afraid of damaging the front element ? Oh lord....

Honestly, and I'm not trolling here : what you use it for then ? endless wide angle pictures of your cat or dog ?

Im just curious.

Leica man here, with a Noctilux that costs 11k and use it without a filter. Everyday. Everyweather. They got coatings because of something...

And before you start with "money aint a issue for you" I had to save for 3 years to get that lens. Used.

engel001

After I have shot all 132 rooms of the palace I live in at 14-24mm, I have run out of subjects.
:poke:
No, I should have said that I have hardly used the 14-24mm until now. That is why I mentioned that I own and use the Zeiss 21mm. I have been on the verge of selling the Nikkor several times.

My personal use is really off topic though.

Jan and Kit, thank you for your comments.