The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Congrats Nikon - seems this is a winner - #1 DXO Mark score

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
??? "who I dare not mention (KR)"

Could you nevertheless enlighten me ? :)
I dare not mention our favourite imaging 'reviewer' & scribe Ken Rockwell, a man who can on the one hand share very useful advice for the beginner and then on the other he'll write complete and utter b*****ks. Damn, he'll now get another bunch of hits on his site and rise up the google SEO scores even further! :D

WRT 16-35 and the 14-24 I have a different opinion. Having worked with both, the 16-35 is very much on par with the 14-24, plus it is much more versatile and light and has VR!
I'm not saying it's a pebble (far from it in fact) but in my personal experience with both lenses the 14-24 was definitely superior. However, the 16-35VR is a much easier lens to travel with and also will take a filter. I was very happy with it actually. Anyway my point was that DPReview really ought to be testing the D800 only with the very very finest lenses and when it comes to super wides it's generally accepted that the 14-24/2.8 is about as good as you can get. Heck even the canon folks adapt it and use it!

Stefan Steib

KR - Thanks Graham !

So it´s a give and take, isn´t internet nice ? :)

about the 14-24 - indeed this is a superb lens and my next project.
I finally want to destroy(cut) one. I think I can even supply a new wider sunshade from our 40mm Superrotators to protect the front lens.

and I did a typo in my post should be:

....I think the question for the AA version is answered.......
Well- I can only interpolate from my experinces with MF and the last 2 years with my de AA´d 5DMK2. It seems to me that as the pixelsize gets smaller and smaller the amount of moiree goes down in realworld images.

there are some things I would consider taking the AA version:
shooting fashion, portrait and fabrics for catalogues.

Otherwise I think an experienced user can live easily with non AA.
Even for Architecture with a little experience you can get along with some control, tweaking (defokus a bit, stopping down and rotating slightly) plus post in C1 with moireemasks.

regards
Stefan

I am debating the 800 vs 800E right now, and pretty much assume that I won't be able to make my decision until people start posting results with the E version late in April. My work is urban / industrial, with things like brick walls, fences, bars, window screens, air conditioners, grates, wires ...

I just don't know how to predict the benefits or the pitfalls for the work I do.

So ... one of each is on order. Finger is on the trigger to cancel one or the other.

[also: it would be nice to be able to play with video, and I've been reading that aliasing can be a bigger bear in video than in photography. But I've no experience with this]