The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Congrats Nikon - seems this is a winner - #1 DXO Mark score

This is great news, and not entirely unexpected.

I'm most excited about the dynamic range rating of the camera. That said I have never completely understood the DXOmark numbers. I assume they are accurate as some kind of relative measure, but I don't think I've ever squeezed as many stops out of a raw file as they say I should be able to.

Does anyone understand their formula and its strength's / limitations? Do you think we'll really see better real world DR than in an IQ180?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What should I say ....

Far better than my old H3D39 but also better than the IQ180....

I for myself have already started thinking .....

Peter

Terry

Doesn't that score have to do with the overall and where MF backs will fall down is on the sports score?

What should I say ....

Far better than my old H3D39 but also better than the IQ180....

I for myself have already started thinking .....

Peter

routlaw

Doesn't that score have to do with the overall and where MF backs will fall down is on the sports score?
Terry I believe you are right about this, but they also gave it a 14.4 EVS DR mark which was previously unheard of and unmatched (at least with their testing method) by any other camera to date. Note too its portrait rating was also very high but don't recall the numbers.

My own anecdotal experiences don't necessarily agree with DxO's testing methods not that I own a MFD, but have used them. I am not convinced at this early stage my newly acquired D4 has the DR range of my D3 yet just last week they tested it has having far more. And then there is my Betterlight scan back (12 micron pixel sensor) using an 10-11 fstop curve in the field with this thing provides so much headroom its ridiculous which I don't think any of my DSLR's can match.

I spent a good part of the morning reading their white papers on how they test and arrive at such numbers. Effectively they claim smaller pixels will have a lower SNR as any engineer will verify, but the addition of the extra pixels more than makes up for this issue. Even after reading it I am having a hard time believing it. The papers get pretty technical, definitely not bedtime story material.

The images Nikon provided on their website to download left a lot to be desired. Poor detail and texture along with mediocre tonal range however the Imaging Resource images from this camera looked much more promising. It will be interesting to see how early users fare with this camera for sure.

Rob

Stefan Steib

Its averaged, the portrait score is 3rd ( first IQ180, 2nd P65+, 3rd d800 on par with P40+
Landscape first ahead of IQ180 !
Sports nearly as good as 3Ds and D4
overall a brilliant performance.

I guess this means welcome to the Top CMOS !

regards
Stefan

Paratom

I allready experienced in the past that my eyes are not synchronized to dxo-numbers so I am still waiting for more real world images.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>my impression: especially the Nikon wideangles do NOT keep on par with the sensor

Did you try the 14-24mm?

bensonga

But the sensor - really nice.
Calls for Zeiss Nikon mount - and - put Hasselblad V lenses with adapters on it and this thing will fly !
Stefan
Hasselblad V Zeiss on the D800....that's something I hadn't even considered.

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Pro Adapter, Hasselblad Lens to Nikon Camear Mount Adapter -- for Nikon D1, D2, D3, D3x,D3s, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D7000: Camera & Photo

I suppose not even the best of the AIS lenses will be up to the job.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For weeks now, I've been trying to think of ways to avoid this camera, but finally, I've concluded that there's no way around it. For most Nikon shooters serious about photography, not to speak about those of us who make money from our photos, the D800 offers so many advantages that it's not a question of if but of what I can sell and how fast to be able to buy it.

Although some lenses won't be up to it 100%, the end result will be more resolution than most or all other Nikon bodies. That's enough for me.

Stefan Steib

Uwe

I was just talking about the samples on DP Review. I know the 14-24 is a great lens, unfortunately they did not use it. I saw several zooms and a 16-35mm. The Macro stuff is also OK, but still - I would bet put our Hartblei 4/120mm Makro TS or the Hartblei 4/40 IF TS on it and this will break the roof !

Regards
Stefan

AlexLF

I've been thinking of buying MF DB... till now. Until prices are reasonable on MF gear I don't think it's bearable.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Uwe

I was just talking about the samples on DP Review. I know the 14-24 is a great lens, unfortunately they did not use it. I saw several zooms and a 16-35mm. The Macro stuff is also OK, but still - I would bet put our Hartblei 4/120mm Makro TS or the Hartblei 4/40 IF TS on it and this will break the roof !

Regards
Stefan
Not testing the D800 with the 14-24 kind of sums up dpreview for me. It's higher up the totem pole than he who I dare not mention (KR) but not by much IMHO.

Frankly you're only going to get acceptable results from the D800 I'd you use the very best Nikon glass. The 16-35VR is a very useful lens but not up to the PC-E, new wide G's & 14-24.

Stefan Steib

??? "who I dare not mention (KR)"

Could you nevertheless enlighten me ? :)

Janik posted a link for an article written by Roger Cicala of lensrentals in the other thread over in the MF section, which I find especially very enlightening.

LensRentals.com - “D” resolution tests

as it seems that the lenses do need about any bit of performance and do as well NOT get to the resolution(Nyquist) limit of the sensor I think the question for the Non AA version is answered- it is simply not necessary as the lenses will probably not run into moiree, or if any only under VERY uneasy conditions.

regards
Stefan

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Terry,

it is not only the high ISO capabilities, but also DR etc.

Listen, I am not arguing that it can replace a MFDB, but IMHO the quality is so good, that it is very close in many areas, especially when combined with the sheer never ending lens offerings, where MF is (and always will) lack behind.

I am excited about the D800E, will make all my photography much easier with still high IQ.

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not testing the D800 with the 14-24 kind of sums up dpreview for me. It's higher up the totem pole than he who I dare not mention (KR) but not by much IMHO.

Frankly you're only going to get acceptable results from the D800 I'd you use the very best Nikon glass. The 16-35VR is a very useful lens but not up to the PC-E, new wide G's & 14-24.
WRT 16-35 and the 14-24 I have a different opinion. Having worked with both, the 16-35 is very much on par with the 14-24, plus it is much more versatile and light and has VR!

LensRentals.com - “D” resolution tests

as it seems that the lenses do need about any bit of performance and do as well NOT get to the resolution(Nyquist) limit of the sensor I think the question for the Non AA version is answered- it is simply not necessary as the lenses will probably not run into moiree, or if any only under VERY uneasy conditions.
You really can't conclude this. The LensRentals.com tests showed MTF 50, which correlates vaguely with subjective quality in an unmanipulated image. It doesn't tell us anything about practical resolution limits, which are somewhere in the MTF 5 to 20 range, depending on noise performance.

Nikon's own samples show moiré potential with a number of their lenses, which indicate sigificant modulation at frequencies above 102 lp/mm.