The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

thanks for the download steen
Thanks for the downloads Steen - the quality is amazing!
Steen,
thanks for your helpful examples. 1600 ISO would be quite usable I think.

You are very welcome, folks.

And thank you for your participation in this meeting with a new generation of DSLRs.

Interesting times indeed.

Oh, and Matto (Dr. Viablex)

You obviously succeeded adding a lot of contrast and sharpness to the last frame.

But at the same time you got yourself some jaggies in some of the straight lines, maybe everything comes at a cost :)

routlaw

For sure, I should process with the manufacturer software -- know that lesson from trying to convince Phase shooters to try C1 instead of sticking with LR for their Phase files! :banghead: I'm just not in favor of purchasing a $180 software I cannot demo first and will likely not ever want to use anyway...
Jack I think Nikon now lets you download as a free 60 day trial Capture NX2, well that's whats on their website the other day at least. However I gave up on Nikon software years ago when it changed from NX to NX2 and have to say I have not missed it one iota. I do use Capture Control Pro almost daily which is great when shooting tethered. I don't necessarily agree with all due respect to others you have to have Nikons proprietary software to get the best from their cameras. Just my 2¢ worth. I suspect my workflow is quite a bit different than most photographers however.

Taken a step further the last time I demoed C1 and its been a couple of years now, also couldn't stand the raw conversion of Nikon files either. Given its popularity not sure what that says about me, LOL.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Another one with AF-S 1.4/85mm G

Link to the RAW file (if you post your conversion result please keep it here on this forum)

80A_0033_85mmG_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (11 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 12 bit 1/160 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

routlaw

Steen once again, thanks for the opportunity to examine and work with the D800 files. Decided to give this one a go, developed in LR 4.0 and worked up in PS CS 5. Not having been here at this scene hard to know exactly what the correct colors are let alone how far to take the edits so there is some obvious guess work on my part.

Rob

Last edited:

routlaw

and another

Oh what the heck here is another which was fun to play with. Nice samples Steen. Raw convert in LR 4.0, CS 5 edits.

Rob

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Quick shot from today . ISO 4000 1/40 F8 with 14-24 at 14 with lens profile applied . I also went in and raised luminance to 25 and color to 50. This is pretty darn good. Focus on front figure

Guy Mancuso

More to come. Heading home and a lot to process but I'm pretty happy with it. For me you just don't know how hard that is for me to say about 35mm. LOL

Guy Mancuso

This was with the 180mm handheld at 1/2500 wide open at 2.8 ISO 100. I added the vignette and i am using about 20 clarity and bumping the sharpening to about 90 in ACR. I do need to find ACR's happy spot with the D800.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) ISO 4000 1/40 F8 with 14-24 at 14 with lens profile applied . I also went in and raised luminance to 25 and color to 50. (...)

Those ISO 4000 shots look pretty clean with the luminance and color sliders raised a bit. Amazing what's possible.

And the 180mm gull shot looks absolutely great with regards to sharpness as well as the out of focus rendering in the background.

Interesting background by the way, with a nice graphic impact.

Guy Mancuso

That it is Matt and I'm kinda liking it. Im thinking of ordering a E version as well in a month or two.

Guy Mancuso

Couple more before I head out . This was the 14-24 at 21mm ISO 100 at F8

Posting this to show recovery slider we where pretty well backlit here. 35mm at F6.3

85mm at 1.8 ISO 320

14-24 at 14mm all lens corrections applied profile key stoning and such. Worked really nice the corrections