The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Why not? With Nikon you get the choice of Adobe RGB or sRGB

Does not make a diff for the NEF file. It influences the in camera histogram though. On hte we it is best to use sRGB only for JPEGs.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And I am shooting sRGB for the jpeg output . I shoot raws to the CF and (medium) jpegs to the SD -- makes for easy sharing with the family or wife's iPad :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Shooting Adobe RGB and at 14 bit but the jpeg in camera is really only for backup reasons. I will fill card than dump the jpegs after all the raws are secure. Nice having that second slot

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Nikon 800 with Nikon 14-24mm at 15mm
Handholding
ISO 6400, f/6, 1/160 sec
No crop
Quick processing from JPEG file

Regards,
Pramote

routlaw

Rob, when I took the very last trivial test shots of a corner without much light, I suddenly had a bright moment and remembered to take them in 14 bit mode as well.

But it's a far less challenging histogram than the 'grand piano in white room' shot, so I don't know if it is of much help for your DR investigations.

Here are the two test shots both of them at ISO 100 (here I have added 50 out of 150 sharpness to the jpegs in Lightroom, no other tweaks).
Interesting comparison here. While I could not visually detect any difference between the files I did notice the 14 bit raw file was some 10 mb larger than the 12 bit version. Bringing up the levels command on each I also did a screen grab of each levels window, then brought those two into PS layering the 14 bit version on top of the 12 bit version but reduced the opacity of the top layer (14 bit is lighter gray) to 50% to see if both histograms matched. As you can see from the attached file below which is a 200% view of the screen grab of the two layered windows they do not. Clearly the 14 bit file as indicated by the levels window has more data even if we can't detect it on a monitor.

Perhaps on some images the difference might show up more readily, but in any case it would appear the 14 bit path allows for more post production data to work with. With difficult images to edit perhaps this would serve some advantage.

Rob

Last edited:

fultonpics

i'm not as well versed as you guys on photography or these issues, but shooting sRGB vs Adobe for the jpeg is not even agreed upon to editorials submitting to top wire services--the other night i surveyed the folks in the press room and it was mixed....(oh, they were submitting the jpegs of course)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, does it even make sense to shoot sRGB anymore now that most web browsers support color management ?
It's a fair question, but I err to the side of caution. There are both devices and many monitors that are CM limited and cannot handle Adobe -- so to me at least for now, sRGB seems a little more safe. In a few more years, it will be different for sure.

Guy Mancuso

I usually send clients for viewing on there systems SRGB in one folder and in another for offset printers a folder with profoto full res tifs. Most monitors on folks desktops or laptops are more SRGB

D&A

Agreed with above posts...sRGB is safer for most clients although I now cringe a bit in still having to shoot and work in that color space, even though at best they are just back-up files. I suspect like many, there will be a day in the not too distant furture when the dominant color space for most devices including viewing will be the wider ganut of Adobe RGB.

Dave (D&A)

tjv

I downloaded the piano photo to see the noise for myself and honest I can't see what the fuss is about. it's certainly far better overall than the 5D MKII and no worse considering the huge increase in resolution than the D700 at base ISO. I'm making judgements based on using both of these cameras and processing the D800 sample as I'd do to get it how I like. If I shot this scene with tranny I'd be left with an almost two tone waste of film. I guess seeing as I primarily use film that is what really matters.

Paratom

Sorry if I ask again but could anybody comment on skintones and overall color of the D800 files?
And does anybody here uses bot the D4 and D800 and could comment on how they feel a) the files and b) the camera does compare?
I still have all that Nikon glass and my D700..
I am mostly interested about Color and overall look of the images of the new cameras.
Thanks for any feedback!

nikonf

More to come. Heading home and a lot to process but I'm pretty happy with it. For me you just don't know how hard that is for me to say about 35mm. LOL
I am amazed. I shot some basketball last week with my Sony A900 at ISO 1600 and the images are virtually unusable when it comes to my standards.
Nikon has done some amazing work with that sensor.
I am a large format fanatic, and I am impressed!

Guy Mancuso

Okay folks now for some images . I honestly did not do too much here as far as processing as I want you to see the images as mostly coming out of the cam not my processing expertise. Mostly just a little sharpening and exposure control. Nothing special as far as shooting I was in San Juan Capistrano mission with my wife spending the day together and it was overcast and a little ugly out but it is what it is and I got to work this cam a little. Before I go any further I am pretty impressed with it. It truly is the best 35mm Nikon/Canon I have ever shot.

I have a bunch so this may get spread out a little

This one with 14-24 at ISO 200 at 5.6

Same lens and ISO at 16mm at 5.6

This one with 14-24 at ISO 200 at 5.6
24mm setting

24mm at F11 this time. These are all handheld BTW

15mm setting at 6.3

19mm at 6.3

Change in lens the 35mm 1.4G this one shot at 1.6 ISO 200

35mm at F5 .

Guy Mancuso

BTW I am pretty damn smitten with the 35mm 1.4 G lens a lot like a Leica 35mm R 1.4 summilux but without the ghosting. Nice tonal graduation in the lens

Guy Mancuso

This is the 180mm at F5 and it still was not tuned perfectly which yesterday I got it all tuned dead on here it was 9 points off but still not bad. I am going back out and shoot some real images with it. Its really my only concern lens of my set which includes 14-24, 35 1.4 G, 50 1.8G which I have not shot yet, 85 1.4 G and the 180