The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

At this scale the most noticeable difference is less saturation and a strong yellow cast in the Nikon. Would this be the camera, or just a quirk of the conversion software when you grab a white balance point and don't do any tweaking?

D&A

If folks want to share a link to other forums for friends to see than I suggest sending a link to the whole thread so they can follow all the great input from our esteem members. BTW thanks everyone for your patience and great input here. A ton of great data here.:thumbs:
Can't wait till I get back to a real computer later this evening in order to be able to view and closely examine the latest comparitive files posted. Completely agree with you Guy.....this has been an incredibly valuable thread regarding the D800 and the GETdpi community as a whole deserves a awful lot of credit for all their valuable imput and constructive comments.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
At this scale the most noticeable difference is less saturation and a strong yellow cast in the Nikon. Would this be the camera, or just a quirk of the conversion software when you grab a white balance point and don't do any tweaking?
Paul I'm leaning at the camera on the WB but I did not do any tweaking either. But do give it a run with the files.

I'm going to see if I can correct it.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

If you don't mind, for next time, could you find a store that has a ColorChecker in the window? :ROTFL:

Seriously, thanks much,

Matt

Guy Mancuso

LOL I have the frames before it. lol

I cooled it off. ROTFLMAO actually weird program no kelvin temp to go by some lame slider warm /cold for color temp anyway went 12 points to the cool side

eleanorbrown

Guy this last posted file looks a little too green to me on my apple 30 display...could you give us an idea which of the files...Phase or Nikon has the most correct color on the brownish wood?? I've been working on these RAW files in C1 and LR4 (don't have the Nikon software) and they both look really really good. I always look at the micro contrast. Some of the time I get tired of lugging my 65+ system around and was considering the D800e for use instead of the Phase, depending on where I'm going and what I'm shooting and how light I want to go. Thanks for posting the RAW's...this is really helpful! Eleanor

I cooled it off. ROTFLMAO actually weird program no kelvin temp to go by some lame slider warm /cold for color temp anyway went 12 points to the cool side

Guy Mancuso

I would say go by the Phase files in C1 Eleanor as being more true. I'm down to tech cam and the Nikon so i see exactly where you are coming from. Those white chairs are a good WB.

Guy Mancuso

I'm just wondering if Glory Bees is going to donate some free advertising money to the forum. ROTFLMAO

My eyes are green blind by now. I may go out and shoot something else this weekend. And it won't be GREEN

vieri

Guy, in case you missed it, you can set your WB using Kelvin on Capture NX: just check out the "Develop" tab on the right, then "Camera settings", the "Warmer / Cooler" slider should have a window on the right with the related Kelvin value, which you can click and change as well as the "Tint" below.

Guy Mancuso

Hell I'm glad your here. LOL

One thing to get a new cam another to learn a very strange layout raw converter. LOL

vieri

LOL Capture's interface could sure use one touch up or a thousand :D but the files come out pretty good, worth the pain IMHO

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In the two images Guy posted, the Nikon shot chairs look good,but the brown siding is definitely green. And not only green, two different tones of green -- top half is browner, but lower half is really green to my eyes. Guy, am I correct in assuming the Phase color is accurate and the Nikon is off? It looks to me like I'm going to need to profile my Nikon once I settle on a converter...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Uwe, looking good, but the older style 85/1.8 definitely has some funny bokeh in the specular highlights.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>looking good, but the older style 85/1.8 definitely has some funny bokeh in the specular highlights.

Can't wait till I get back to a real computer later this evening in order to be able to view and closely examine the latest comparitive files posted. Completely agree with you Guy.....this has been an incredibly valuable thread regarding the D800 and the GETdpi community as a whole deserves a awful lot of credit for all their valuable imput and constructive comments.

Dave (D&A)
Big +1 - thanks Guy!

eleanorbrown

This is Guy's D800 shot. I took the RAW and edited in Lightroom 4 and did a white balance on the chairs as Guy suggested and this is what I got for tones on the brown wood. Eleanor