The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack the bottom green is contaminated by the sand reflection light . Notice it's warmer than the top. So we should keep that in mind. I'm not that crazy about using this image so much for a real representation of a color test. I think I will go out in the morning and get something that maybe better and I'll put in my Macbeth chart in the shot. I'm almost thinking the Phase is a little warm. Looking at the front sand is a giveaway on that.

eleanorbrown

Agree, the blue sky needs adjustment...I was curious what Lightroom would give my just by doing a straight WB taken on the chairs. eleanor
Here's one with sky adjusted a little.

Eleanor, The blue sky is too funky for my taste in your version the rest looks fine.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack the bottom green is contaminated by the sand reflection light . Notice it's warmer than the top. So we should keep that in mind. I'm not that crazy about using this image so much for a real representation of a color test.
I understand it's reflected light, but the difference between how the phase renders is and how the nikon renders it is pretty huge. Plus the reflecting sand looks warm, so I'm not sure why the base of the building goes greener on the nikon shot - ? And I disagree, I think it is an excellent color test precisely because it is so difficult to render correctly. Color torture test :)

Agree, the blue sky needs adjustment...I was curious what Lightroom would give my just by doing a straight WB taken on the chairs. eleanor
Here's one with sky adjusted a little.
Still looks like a brindle green compared to the Phase version brown, at least to my eyes...

Guy Mancuso

Maybe something worth trying is setting the color temp for like 5k kelvin and tint the same to just see the difference between the two even though it maybe color off we can see what the difference in the files are and which color bias each one has or more what the Nikon has seems yellow to me overall

Guy Mancuso

I do have another test set that I will post with both the Phase with SK 28 lens and the NIkon with the 14-24 and the color checker is in the frames. I will upload the raws. I will just do the full frame shots of each similar framing.

This is a forum wide test. ROTFLMAO

Guy Mancuso

Same image in both ACR and Capture NX WB off color checker card. Lifted shadows to match. No Phase file here i need to reshoot a new set. Missing a LCC on the phase file and I have magenta cast since it was a 28XL so its not going to work accurately. Heading out in morning and shoot some more tests.

But here are the same file in different processors. Actually they look pretty similar

ACR

Capture NX

ustein

Contributing Editor
I had this too: The reds look more agressive in ACR/LR4 than NX 2.

But NX 2 is a pain to use.

Guy Mancuso

I agree it is really not a fun program to work with. The sky looks more like blue sky in the ACR from what I am seeing and in NX more to the magenta side.

Uwe love to hear your impressions so far. I need to catch up to your review as well.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Skin tones

Can anybody show some more skin tone from the D800? Whats your guys feeling about color and skin tones with the D800 - lets say compared to the D700?

found this, Tom

image samples at the bottom of the page

don't know if it's of any help, I guess not, only two of the 'skin' samples are processed from RAW (those with the red dots) and they are taken with some kind of studio lighting

Google Translate

V

Vivek

Sorry, Vivek, no f/1.2 shots, actually never owned a f/1.2 lens ... :rolleyes:
I regret having sold my 50/1.2 AiS. Now, I have the OM 50/1.2 and am thinking of putting it in a Leitax F mount. The lens is delicious, BTW. ;)

D&A

I agree it is really not a fun program to work with. The sky looks more like blue sky in the ACR from what I am seeing and in NX more to the magenta side.

Uwe love to hear your impressions so far. I need to catch up to your review as well.
Yes, NX isn't very much fun and when the number of files to process grow very large, well, I turn and run....LOL!

Guy, I am seeing the same thing in the last set of images you posted and also see a bit more saturation in general in the ACR image. I finally got back to a real computer (being on phone/ipad all day yesterday) and had a chance for last few hours to look at and play with all comparative files posted by Guy and tweaking by Elenore and others. From what I see, I completely agree with what's been observed and expressed here regarding differences between Phase and Nikon cameras and/or differences between post processing software.

In my personal opinion, what's difficult is there is often more than one set of simultaneous variables being looked at, at the same time, so it's hard to ascribe to what is responsible for what changes or differences we see in a comparative set of images. In one case it was Phase/IQ160 with Phase 28mm lens, processed in C1 vs. Nikon D800, with 14-24 lens, processed in NX. Determining which of the many image elements (hues/colors/tones) in a picture is more accurate, may simply change by changing out one of these variables....whether it be the lens, back (camera) or processing software, etc. Narrowing down which singular component(s) are for the most part responsible for what differences are being observed, can be quite important.

Additionally even if you used a coke can for it's representative colors to determine a standard for accuracy or comparison (even considering just the reds), what's not to say other colors go astray in the process of getting that element (the reds on the coke can) right.

These comparisons are immensely useful for determining what parameters and settings are needed to be applied to one particular system (camera/back and lens) with its resulting files processed by using a chosen post processing software in order to get as close a representation to a given scene as possible. Yet attempting to determine which system is able to reproduce as many elements accurately as possible vs. another system, would require the number of different variables being used in such a comparison, significantly reduced as so to equalize such a test (so to speak). I realize this is not generally possible, in a practical sense. This is not a criticism, as these tests have been extremely informative and very much appreciated by all, but simply something to think about when analyzing all these differences.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

TOTALLY AGREE. So many variables and also we can only assume as well that the Phase file is correct only because we know the system better but certainly does not mean accurate either. I'm heading out again and we can work on this more but every system will most likely never match another system. Even the glass is diffrent from diffrent countries not to mention the whole design of it as well. I seriously was not kidding this is like comparing a goat to a frog. It's that vastly different .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The problem with a Coke can or similar is it's a single color. It may look perfect in both images then you have wonky browns with one and not the other. My point earlier is it appears at first blush to be an out of whack profile issue; some colors fine while at the same time others are wonked -- and in this case it appears Nikon browns are off. And most important, the browns appear off to an extent I would not want to rely on this camera for shooting dark-skinned people until I got a decent profile.