The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice work . Yes it's the micro detail that is a little hard to see until you get the Raws to work on it.

Guy Mancuso

Just some quick snaps from yesterday and reason for posting is i had to push the shadows pretty hard to get the hard shadow light opened up from the blazing sun here. Came out pretty good in that respects.

This one was tough

Does black pretty well here with good detail. Did not lift shadows

eleanorbrown

Guy are these from the 35mm lens? I hear that lens is first class but read of auto focus issues on review by digilloyd. Eleanor

Guy Mancuso

The 85 1.4g

Have not had any issues focusing the 35 1.4 actually have not noticed any focus shift either. These lenses in G flavor are silent and real fast

Guy Mancuso

The 35 1.4 reminds me of a improved Leica R 35 1.4 summilux without the ghosting aberrations at 1.4. Has a great look to it, so far I really like it. I'll go shoot some wide open shots with it this week. I did post a couple earlier a wine glass and menu wide open plus a lemon at 2.8 that I really like the look of it.

eleanorbrown

Have you ever had any experience with the 70-200 2.8II? Eleanor

The 35 1.4 reminds me of a improved Leica R 35 1.4 summilux without the ghosting aberrations at 1.4. Has a great look to it, so far I really like it. I'll go shoot some wide open shots with it this week. I did post a couple earlier a wine glass and menu wide open plus a lemon at 2.8 that I really like the look of it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have downloaded Guy's files (for which BIG thank you!) and Capture NX2 to try and have a comparative look. Unfortunately everyone is totally right about capture NX2, what a total pile of .... in fact, my version, along with updater to get it to version 2.3.1 is so terrible that it 'Cannot Load File' even when that file is a small jpeg, let alone a NEFF file from either D800 or D7000 or indeed any file whatsoever. Nikon support page has no indication as to why. I'm on a mac pro with 16GB of RAM, latest OS and loads of fast disc space...

This really worries me because if NX2 is the only way to get the best out of D800E files in particular, but is so badly sorted, then it's like buying a Ferrari and being expected to fill the tank with urine.

So I opened both the Phase and Nikon files in LR4 and bumped up sharpening a bit on the Nikon file. Then I put them in side by side windows and zoomed the Phase file to 1:3 and the D800 to 1:2 and Lo, there doesn't seem to be a great advantage to either.

However, I am now down to comparing apples to oranges at a pumpkin stand, due to the number of extra variables that not using the best RAW developers introduces...

If I assume that LR does both files an equal dis-service and that the D800E is worth 25 extra in sharpening and 10 extra in Detail (in LR4 terms) then for prints up to about 40" it might well be a wash.

However, that conclusion is so flawed with caveats as to be useless!

Damn NX2!

routlaw

.... Unfortunately everyone is totally right about capture NX2, what a total pile of .... in fact, my version, along with updater to get it to version 2.3.1 is so terrible that it 'Cannot Load File' even when that file is a small jpeg, let alone a NEFF file from either D800 or D7000 or indeed any file whatsoever. Nikon support page has no indication as to why. I'm on a mac pro with 16GB of RAM, latest OS and loads of fast disc space...

This really worries me because if NX2 is the only way to get the best out of D800E files in particular, but is so badly sorted, then it's like buying a Ferrari and being expected to fill the tank with urine.

Damn NX2!
FWIW in the conversation I have never felt NX or NX2 is the best and only way to get the most out of Nikon files and will be posting some samples of Guys images to provide proof. BTW, thanks so much Guy for allowing us to look at and work with these files.

Likewise Tashley I have been wrestling for the last few days with Nikon Tech support on the exact same issue you are experiencing. I gave up on Nikon software years ago other than Capture Control Pro which is a really good tethering program for those who need it. But the discussion recently and with new cameras picked my interest and like you downloaded the newest NX2 and PAID for the update to my older NX program. I have a Mac Pro, 19 GB of RAM running OS 10.6.8 and every file I try to open be it jpg, tif or nef I receive the same error message as you, cannot load file XXX. I also tried this on my MBP running 8GB of Ram same OS exactly and got the exact same errors. Yesterday morning I uninstalled everything, then went in under the hood and deleted every folder, file, plist what have you that had Nikon on the label, then reinstalled only NX2. All to no avail. At one point the tech support people told me that if the same computer had ever done the trial of NX2 before it would not work again even with a license such as my case unless all previous versions of NX had been removed. NOT!!

Thus far Nikon Tech support has been less than worthless and this with no less than 5 phone calls on Friday alone. At this point I feel like I have been robbed, holding out no hope for a cure from this awful software program.

tashley

Subscriber Member
FWIW in the conversation I have never felt NX or NX2 is the best and only way to get the most out of Nikon files and will be posting some samples of Guys images to provide proof. BTW, thanks so much Guy for allowing us to look at and work with these files.

Likewise Tashley I have been wrestling for the last few days with Nikon Tech support on the exact same issue you are experiencing. I gave up on Nikon software years ago other than Capture Control Pro which is a really good tethering program for those who need it. But the discussion recently and with new cameras picked my interest and like you downloaded the newest NX2 and PAID for the update to my older NX program. I have a Mac Pro, 19 GB of RAM running OS 10.6.8 and every file I try to open be it jpg, tif or nef I receive the same error message as you, cannot load file XXX. I also tried this on my MBP running 8GB of Ram same OS exactly and got the exact same errors. Yesterday morning I uninstalled everything, then went in under the hood and deleted every folder, file, plist what have you that had Nikon on the label, then reinstalled only NX2. All to no avail. At one point the tech support people told me that if the same computer had ever done the trial of NX2 before it would not work again even with a license such as my case unless all previous versions of NX had been removed. NOT!!

Thus far Nikon Tech support has been less than worthless and this with no less than 5 phone calls on Friday alone. At this point I feel like I have been robbed, holding out no hope for a cure from this awful software program.
How frustrating: I really feel for you. I have just downloaded and installed the exact same files onto my much more humbly specified MBPro and it is working fine - but of course that's not the machine on which I want to use the files... Grrr.

If the version that ships with my D800E won't work and if I feel that without it I can't get the best from the files, I'll just return the camera and kick up a stink. Honestly, if a company can't make software that installs and works, let alone with a decent UI, then I don't trust the rest of what they do...

routlaw

Looking at the raw files Guy provided for us to download something immediately looked awry compared to what I normally get with my D4 and D3 for that matter. One of the give aways in the ACR conversion was the overly cyanish blue sky and color pollution in the asphalt pavement compared to what I get with the D4 especially, being either too red or cool. The C1 file from the IQ160 struck me as being a bit too warm, albeit with subjectively the most pleasing or likable color over all compared to either of the Nikon files.

My hunch was that one important item was overlooked during those Nikon conversions in ACR and sure enough that was it. Effectively in the camera icon module (ACR) where the profile window exist, by clicking on this and instead of leaving the Adobe Standard as the profile conversion, choose one of the Camera profiles instead and in this case I kept it simple and straightforward by choosing the Camera Standard. Suffice it to say the differences are NOT subtle but more importantly this allows you to use the built in Nikon camera profiles as it was meant to be in lieu of any custom built profile such as X-Rite Passports. It matters not whether you choose 2012 or 2010 process the file will look the same assuming you do not mess with the controls for each one and in this case kept the adjustments at the defaults of ACR in all 3 of them. Once opening the files I left them as is with the exception of the store front at Easy Street which I did adjust the higlights in levels about 5-10 pts to more closely match the values in Guys rendition of NX2.

Here are the samples, all from ACR using Camera Standard instead of Adobe Standard, along with the screen capture of the camera profile window in ACR 6.7 PS CS 5.

Hopefully this will help all who are struggling with NX2 and doubtful about LR/ACR conversions.

Rob

Last edited:
Anyone have impressions of the quality of NX2's auto later chromatic aberration tool, and axial chromatic aberration tool?

I did not know software correction of the latter was even possible.

Just playing with NX2 now. Files look good. The interface is annoying. It's also very, very slow. I'm running it on an 8-core mac with 12 gigs of ram. It seems to scale all operation to all processors, but still takes several seconds for adjustments that Photoshop / ACR do instantly. Could this be a configuration issue?

vieri

I have downloaded Guy's files (for which BIG thank you!) and Capture NX2 to try and have a comparative look. Unfortunately everyone is totally right about capture NX2, what a total pile of .... in fact, my version, along with updater to get it to version 2.3.1 is so terrible that it 'Cannot Load File' even when that file is a small jpeg, let alone a NEFF file from either D800 or D7000 or indeed any file whatsoever. Nikon support page has no indication as to why. I'm on a mac pro with 16GB of RAM, latest OS and loads of fast disc space...

So I opened both the Phase and Nikon files in LR4 and bumped up sharpening a bit on the Nikon file. Then I put them in side by side windows and zoomed the Phase file to 1:3 and the D800 to 1:2 and Lo, there doesn't seem to be a great advantage to either.

However, I am now down to comparing apples to oranges at a pumpkin stand, due to the number of extra variables that not using the best RAW developers introduces...

If I assume that LR does both files an equal dis-service and that the D800E is worth 25 extra in sharpening and 10 extra in Detail (in LR4 terms) then for prints up to about 40" it might well be a wash.

Damn NX2!
Guys, I am using Capture NX's last version on a Mac Pro with Mac OS X 10.7.3 and 24 GB Ram, and haven't any of the problems you report. I hope Nikon will come through for you, and soon :D

routlaw

Just a couple of quick footnotes about gray or WB. I currently own some half dozen different versions of the X-Rite color check charts in a variety of sizes. Non of them match precisely and non of the gray patches are exactly even in their RGB values. I have measured every one with my i1 Photo Pro, but generally the 3rd from the left on the 24 patch chart has been slightly more accurate (for me) than the rest and so I used this patch for WB instead of the 2nd patch. Comparing the 2nd and 3rd patch on each of these 3 images rendered a WB about 100 K apart with the tint being very close at only a pt or two different. Using the WB "AS SHOT" in ACR rendered a 5050/+8 while the 3rd patch was closer to 4950/+14 give or take a smidge depending upon where the eyedropper tool was positioned.

At the risk of repeating myself for those wishing to obtain the most accurate WB the best card I have found is Robin Myers Imaging plastic gray card that measures about 160, 160, 160 with i1Photo. The beauty of these is they are indestructible being made of some high tech plastic very light weight, water proof et al. Highly recommended gray balance card for in the field or studio!!

Hopefully this helps.

Rob

vieri

Honestly, if a company can't make software that installs and works, let alone with a decent UI, then I don't trust the rest of what they do...
Tim, I feel you - Capture has one of the worse interfaces of any RAW processors I have ever tried and used (at least it installs on my machine, and it works pretty fast, too). However, Nikon has nothing to do with it (except choosing the developers, probably badly), those which products you don't want to trust are the Nik guys (ColorEfex, SilverPro, etc) :D

vjbelle

Effectively in the camera icon module (ACR) where the profile window exist, by clicking on this and instead of leaving the Adobe Standard as the profile conversion, choose one of the Camera profiles instead and in this case I kept it simple and straightforward by choosing the Camera Standard. Suffice it to say the differences are NOT subtle but more importantly this allows you to use the built in Nikon camera profiles as it was meant to be in lieu of any custom built profile such as X-Rite Passports.
Rob
First of all thank you for all of your very informative and helpful posts regarding the 800. Can you please clarify the above?...... are you saying that ACR has a built in profile for the 800 that was supplied by Nikon? Its a big improvement.... just very curious.

Victor

ustein

Contributing Editor
>along with updater to get it to version 2.3.1 is so terrible that it 'Cannot Load File' even when that file is a small jpeg, let alone a NEFF file from either D800 or D7000 or indeed any file whatsoever. Nikon support page has no indication as to why. I'm on a mac pro with 16GB of RAM, latest OS and loads of fast disc space...

I had exactly the same issues. Switched NX2 to 32 bit and all was fine.

D&A

All expressed above regarding Capture is why I continually avoid using it at almost all costs. Sure if I have a particular file where there is some aspect where running it through Capture provides some distinct advantage, I"ll hold my nose and proceed...otherwise I'll accept certain small compromises and run large # of Raw files through something else.

You think the current version is bad now...some here should have been around using it in the earliest days when it wad first released. It was truly a nightmare and Nikon has had all these qqqyears of feedback requesting the program match the quality of their cameras. To their credit, they did make major upgrades to the prrogram, rendering it from unusable and near worthlessness to it"s present incarnation.

Dave (D&A)