The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

V

Vivek

I am not kidding. If the same 36MP sensor is in a NEX body, it will be even more amazing and I am positive the price will be better as well.

Besides, there isn't a need to buy the NX (I have it somewhere but when NX3 rolls along I will have to pay for it).

Canon, who? :rolleyes:

Lee Love

I don't want to derail this thread but you are comparing Apples and Oranges. The Sony is a toy compared to build quality of the D800.

I don't get people that buy the NEX and then stick a huge lens on the front. Not only does it look stupid but it defeats the entire purpose of a small camera. Then I hear people wishing the NEX was weather sealed.

For a hobbist the NEX is a nice camera BUT its not a system. Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Phase are camera systems and you can walk into any real camera store and get a host of accessories to complete an assignment. Sony can't even get the hotshoe right.

So Vivek to see a post about the price of the D800 is totally off base, and then to compare it to the NEX really misses the target market of the D800. Nikon will sell every one of these cameras they can build.

V

Vivek

I do not disagree with a lot of things you say.

The F mount has been around for a long time. It would be shocking if there aren't accessories/lenses available for the D800/E. The Alpha E mount is a ~2 years old?

Sony is rumored to be supplying 30,000 (36MP) sensors a month to Nikon. That is a lot of professionals. :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Morning everyone just a little update . I am relentless so bear with me , I just don't quit. With that I did go back to ACR and used the Camera Standard profile and these look much closer to reality. Did a little work on it but not color just went with the WB tool in each and this is a great starting point but would not hurt to actually profile our cameras for the absolute best results but these look good.

V

Vivek

Guy, Have you tried the Corel Aftershot Pro? Before Corel took over Bibble, that (Bibble Pro) was a preferred alternate RAW converter to many Nikon users.

jonoslack

Guy, Have you tried the Corel Aftershot Pro? Before Corel took over Bibble, that (Bibble Pro) was a preferred alternate RAW converter to many Nikon users.
. . . or has anyone tried using Aperture - which now supports the D800 and D800E?

Guy Mancuso

No never gave that a try. Seriously I'm buying time until C1 comes out with a update. LOL

I'm a junkie and totally admit being a fanboy of C1. Been using it since the Canon 1DS so quite awhile now it went south for a time there but has gotten much better.

I'm really thinking of getting the E version as well. Starting to like this cam.

Any word on C1's schedule?

I'm espeically curious to know how C1 and ACR handle lens corrections (nikkor and 3rd party) compared with NX2.

I can't begin to tell you how helpful this thread is. Thanks to everyone's efforts workshopping this camera, it seems like when mine shows up all the hard questions will already be answered.

Of course by the time mine shows up you guys will be hard at work test driving the d900 ...

D&A

Guy, from a quick look of the images (the 1st two you just posted), they do look better than the previous posted versions. I too have been playing around and using the Camera Standard profile, which always results in better and more accurate representation of colors/hues etc. A camera profile for the D800 would be of great benefit, in my opinion.

Although subjective, the 3rd image down (2nd from last) looks a bit "hot" for my taste but the last image most definitely so. Just a bit of feedback from a quick look at these images.

As an aside, Bibble was always excellent-superb with Nikon Files, but I haven't used it since they (Eric) sold it.

Dave (D&A)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had played with all the ACR profiles last week and frankly found I preferred the Adobe standard. Yes, skies go more cyan with it, but I found skin tones most pleasing with it -- seems the Nikon red/orange is still a bit funky. Bottom line, I am waiting until C1 updates to the D800, since I can easily make a solid camera profile in it with their color editor. In the meantime, I will build a quickie ACR camera tweak for color. FWIW, I had to do this for the S2 when it first came out too.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Bottom line, I too am waiting until C1 updates to the D800,

You maybe missing the distortion corrections for the 24-120mm (CA maybe ok).
Let me know when you made a tweak.

I made a Colorchecker Passport profile and it does not look better (normally it does).

Guy Mancuso

The thing is and maybe we are all seeing it in some form or another and trying different things. I'm still looking for a little Mojo in them. I agree with Jack maybe the best solution is custom profiling our cams.

sflxn

I am not kidding. If the same 36MP sensor is in a NEX body, it will be even more amazing and I am positive the price will be better as well.
Are you so sure? NEX-7 is $1200. Throw in FF, the price will definitely be in the $2-3k. Also, APS-C lenses for NEX are already lacking. How would a FF NEX work with lenses? I'd sure love a NEX-9 with this sensor, but I think it will be quite a while if ever.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
>Bottom line, I too am waiting until C1 updates to the D800,

You maybe missing the distortion corrections for the 24-120mm (CA maybe ok).
Let me know when you made a tweak.

I made a Colorchecker Passport profile and it does not look better (normally it does).

Good point -- I like the automated lens corrections in ACR. So what I need to experiment with is editing the ACR output tiff in C1 to correct color -- that I can do right now, but it means a double processing. The big issue is getting sky, skin, reds and greens optimized. (tall order :bugeyes: )

sflxn

My current post processing step with Nikon is to use NX to apply profiles and lens correction, then export to TIFF. From there, I use Lightroom to do all post work. Not ideal, but like all of you, I detest working in NX.

In the past, I've noticed Aperture also does a good job of rendering NEF, but I would rather stick to one organizing software, and that's Lightroom for me.

vieri

My current post processing step with Nikon is to use NX to apply profiles and lens correction, then export to TIFF. From there, I use Lightroom to do all post work. Not ideal, but like all of you, I detest working in NX.

In the past, I've noticed Aperture also does a good job of rendering NEF, but I would rather stick to one organizing software, and that's Lightroom for me.
Same here - getting the files through NX with basic adjustments, then Photoshop. Have been doing so for the D2x, D3, now D3x and will probably keep doing so with the D800 when I'll finally be able to put my hands on one :D

tjv

I borrowed a D800 yesterday and took some quick shots to test my 24-70mm G. I used a tripod, mirror lockup, f8 and live view focusing. What is instantly evident when looking at the files is it's going to take a hell of a good technique to get the most from this camera. The 24-70 seem very soft outside the central portion of the frame to me, too. Might have to stick to high end primes if ultimate resolution is important.