The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

The 24-70 seem very soft outside the central portion of the frame to me, too. Might have to stick to high end primes if ultimate resolution is important.
At all focal lengths? That lens generally has a lot of field curvature / soft corners at 24mm.

jlancasterd

I borrowed a D800 yesterday and took some quick shots to test my 24-70mm G. I used a tripod, mirror lockup, f8 and live view focusing. What is instantly evident when looking at the files is it's going to take a hell of a good technique to get the most from this camera. The 24-70 seem very soft outside the central portion of the frame to me, too. Might have to stick to high end primes if ultimate resolution is important.
Have you tried enabling Lens Corrections in LR4 with this lens? It certainly deals with both vignetting and field curvature on my 24-120 f4

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm suspecting some sample variation because lots of people seem to be saying how surprisingly good they're finding the 24-120 on the D800

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm suspecting some sample variation because lots of people seem to be saying how surprisingly good they're finding the 24-120 on the D800
I like mine a lot -- add the ACR auto corrections and I'm impressed.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Would be great to see an auto-correction shoot out between ACR, NX2, and DXO.

First we need DxO for the D800. Then we could do just that. Also throw the manual corrections of C1 into the mix.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just some worked up images i did in ACR in total.

Some images i shot last week in San Diego when I first got the D800.

85mm 1.4

35mm

14-24 at 14mm

14-24 at 24mm

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Speaking to an Empty Audience ...

AI-S Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 at f/5.6 - close focus

Link to the RAW file

80A_0099_85mmG_iso100_12bit_at_f5.6.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (6.5 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AI-S Nikkor 2.8/20mm • 12 bit 1/15 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

AI-S Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 at f/8 - distant focus

Link to the RAW file

80A_0100_85mmG_iso100_12bit_at_f8.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (6.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AI-S Nikkor 2.8/20mm • 12 bit 1/10 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

Thanks Steen, great file that actually shows great difference between highlights and shadows. In ACR I found to have lots of DR to play with and very clean results..
I corrected the highlights like you did, and even went further into pushing the shadows very much.
For the kind of work that I do, this is very significant, getting clean results.
ACH

Guy Mancuso

Morning everyone. Okay i have a lot to load up but I wanted to start with my morning bitch. Sorry but after looking at a lot of images and going through ACR with all the different profiles there just seems not to be one profile set for all images. I have looked at a bunch of images with different profiles and whats good for one is not good for another. Than Bob kindly reminded me after my frustrating moments last night with this that the D800 profiles are beta with the Camera Raw. Okay that settled me down some but folks with ACR and any image i suggest you try all the profiles and see what works best for that image until this is not beta any more.

Now the second frustrating thing is just flat out working with NX but the files look good in it and things look pretty darn clean. Im still working on the sharpening with it and getting around the software. I'm obviously waiting it out until C1 comes out but I did process all this in NX that I will post today. Just so i can get a feel for the program better and such.

But in this sample just for a comparison I used both ACR and NX , now in ACR i went with camera landscape which throws a lot of punch in the image so you need to back off contrast, saturation and vibrance but it looks pretty good but in camera standard it was flat as a pancake. So if your going to use ACR right now try different profiles and find what works the best. shot with the 14-24

Okay ACR image with camera landscape profile

This is the NX file with really not much done to it. It probably represents the subject the better of the two

Guy Mancuso

Shot with the 85 1.4 these two images processed in NX but the first one in ACR was really flat looking.

These are all with the 14-24 which i am falling in love with. One trick I found when carry on your shoulder with lens cap off go to the 24mm setting at the lens recedes in for some protection. I hate lens caps

Sharp or what

tashley

Subscriber Member
STOP IT GUY

it's just not fair to those of us who are waiting...

Mind you, when I get my E the tables might be turned. I will relentlessly post images that make those above look like you used a Coke bottle as a lens...

:grin:

Guy Mancuso

One more this one impressed me. Highlight control really knocked it down and recovery did a nice job of opening it up.