The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

etrigan63

Guy, I have a question for you: Is the quiet shutter mode on the D800 single-shot or continuous? The 5D Mk III boasts a continuous silent shutter (3 fps) and it is way quiet. Perfect for my ballet work but that would mean jumping ship for me.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Highlight control really knocked it down

For me the highlights are still too much blown. Can you please post the Raw?

routlaw

...Than Bob kindly reminded me after my frustrating moments last night with this that the D800 profiles are beta with the Camera Raw. Okay that settled me down some but folks with ACR and any image i suggest you try all the profiles and see what works best for that image until this is not beta any more.
Guy I'm not so sure this is correct info. Several camera iterations and LR/ACR versions back those profiles were provided as beta but not anymore with the D4 and D800 along with the newest iterations of LR and ACR 6.7 beta. Not sure where the D3s falls in line since I don't have that camera.

Regarding the profiles provided by Nikon, ie Portrait, Landscape et al. Its my understanding these are meant to be only suggestions for contrast for the appropriate usage. That said at least to my eyes all of them tend to have better color fidelity (assuming you have the right WB to start with) and are consistent from one profile to the next with color notwithstanding the difference in contrast. For sure their color accuracy seems much better than using Adobe Standard as the conversion profile.

But as you have discovered tweaking them does help.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, I have a question for you: Is the quiet shutter mode on the D800 single-shot or continuous? The 5D Mk III boasts a continuous silent shutter (3 fps) and it is way quiet. Perfect for my ballet work but that would mean jumping ship for me.
according to the manual. Its not Leica quiet that is for sure, not sure on canon but I can hear it easily

As for single frame except that noise is reduced by
disabling beeps and minimizing sound produced when
mirror drops back into place. Beep does not sound when
camera focuses regardless of setting selected for Custom
Setting d1 (Beep; 0292) and mirror does not drop back
into place until shutter-release button is returned to
halfway position after shooting, allowing you to delay
noise made by mirror. Mirror is quieter than in single-frame

Guy Mancuso

Guy I'm not so sure this is correct info. Several camera iterations and LR/ACR versions back those profiles were provided as beta but not anymore with the D4 and D800 along with the newest iterations of LR and ACR 6.7 beta. Not sure where the D3s falls in line since I don't have that camera.

Regarding the profiles provided by Nikon, ie Portrait, Landscape et al. Its my understanding these are meant to be only suggestions for contrast for the appropriate usage. That said at least to my eyes all of them tend to have better color fidelity (assuming you have the right WB to start with) and are consistent from one profile to the next with color notwithstanding the difference in contrast. For sure their color accuracy seems much better than using Adobe Standard as the conversion profile.

But as you have discovered tweaking them does help.

Hope this helps.

Rob
I'm not totally sure either it is a beta release though 6.7 so one has to wonder.

Guy Mancuso

BTW the last one I used live view. Like the Phase back or any live view you can keep it. I'm just not a big fan as some might be. It works its nice but its not my style.

FredBGG

Not Available
Looking very good. Those files processed in NX look great.

Guy can you comment on Live View focusing.

In particular the refresh rate when manually focusing with enlarged detail on the screen.

Also how good is the live view focusing.

Guy Mancuso

Fred its pretty good and don't want to downplay it too much. Its much better than my Phase that is for sure. Magnified view does work , its the refresh rate one must get used too. Let me play with it some more and see if it grows on me. It does work though

Guy Mancuso

I did finally get the chance to shoot the new 50 1.8 G which the cost on this is really low like 229.00. Well don't let the cost fool ya its pretty damn sharp.

3 images here at 3 different apertures 1.8,3.5 and F8

wide open at 1.8

F3.5

F8

At this price almost silly not to have it in the corner of your bag. You need sharp wide open this can do it. Its has no look to it except sharp but maybe nice to have reason i bought it.

bensonga

That's been my experience with the 50/1.8G on the D2X and D700 also Guy. I'm glad to hear it works pretty well on the D800 too.

Gary

routlaw

I got it further down but tried from getting it too wonky looking.

Here is the raw
What the heck I'll take a crack at it. This is one of those files I normally might work up a few times before really getting it right though.

Rob

ps, if you double click it you get a bigger image on a new page.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Interesting transformation here. Tried the 3d Lighting in NX than brought into CS5 and worked it.

default image

corrected

Pays to have those extra pixels to play with

Guy Mancuso

One way to ruin a image is put silly things in a historical site. This was the original jail in Jerome during the copper mining days many years ago. This was a great place to shoot but this ruined it. I do like how the Nikon handled the tones here.