The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

eleanorbrown

Thanks Uwe, but when I Click on the link I get a big page of jumbled code. Would love to see the RAW! eleanor

I don't have a newer 85mm lens but use the 105mm f/2.8 VR. Here is a raw file close to infinity:

http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/public/1204D800_0439.NEF

The link may expire in some days.

This is a cropped version:

Sorry for the large copyright mark. But this is a link to my Field Report gallery with also higher resolution versions. Download the Raw and try yourself.

Gary,
You may be right, but when I look at very large images then I'm not so impressed: http://www.naturalart.ca/images/test_shots/_D800771_ColumbiaRidge_24-70@24_FullRes.jpg
Just too much CA for my taste. Also the loss in sharpness post f8 is disconcerting.
At the moment I'm sticking to my HB - and if anybody wants to trade their CFV-50 for a D800 - just contact me:)
Have a good Easter up north!
S:)
Swissblad, I don't think that image is a good example of post processing, not that I would trust Zoom lenses on such a camera, except maybe by the 14-24.
Try looking at the images posted in this thread. ACH

bensonga

Gary,
At the moment I'm sticking to my HB - and if anybody wants to trade their CFV-50 for a D800 - just contact me:)
S:)
No, no....me first! :ROTFL:

Actually, the MF digital backs I had in mind were the older 16-28mp HB, Phase, Leaf etc which might have sold for $3-5k in the pre-D800/D800E market. Knowing that I can use my HB lenses on the D800E, plus all the good Nikon AF glass, Zeiss ZF etc etc.....would I personally buy my used CFV-16II or similar backs for $4k today? Probably not. I just think the D800/D800E is a real bargain, all things considered.

Listen to me.....talking down the value of my own gear! :facesmack:

Gary

Swissblad

Swissblad, I don't think that image is a good example of post processing, not that I would trust Zoom lenses on such a camera, except maybe by the 14-24.
Try looking at the images posted in this thread. ACH
Don't take my comments too seriously.... truth is I also want one...:)

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Guy,
Thanks again for all the efforts and information, just one question:
Is the quality of 2x2 stitch with 85 mm comparable to IQ 160.
________
Manouch

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,
Thanks again for all the efforts and information, just one question:
Is the quality of 2x2 stitch with 85 mm comparable to IQ 160.
________
Manouch
It would get closer but even when I cropped from the 160 to D800 3:2 ratio the Phase had more detail. It's the micro detail is what would count here.

olaf

Hi Guy
A quick question if I may. I notice in post 23 you said, "Okay I had a bad feeling on those files posted and after a check my 14-24 is off by minus -14". I've just got my D800, 35mm f1.4 and 14-24mm zoom. The 35mm is bitingly sharp but it looks like my zoom is soft as well.
How did you determine the 'minus 14'? Is this something we can do ourselves or does it need to be returned to the dealer or Nikon?

I'll also join the other voices saying thanks for this thread and the fascinating contributions here!
Olaf

Guy Mancuso

What I did was mount camera on tripod about let's say 4ft high pick a subject at a angle like a corner of a table and focus at wide open with a single AF point and see if it targets the front part of it. Than if back focused it will mean start going in the minus direction until you zero in on it. See if I can give you a sample image of something to use for this

Guy Mancuso

Not the greatest example but something like this

See i focused on the vertical wood this way I can see if I am hitting in front of it or in back of it. So something like this angle to determine that.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks, Vivek, it's been a pleasure :salute:

I am impressed by this new camera, but at the same time I think it is important to mention that I do find it rather difficult to handhold.

Not a minor problem in my opinion (though of course it's me being the problem, not the camera).

Any camera shake seems to be revealed by this high resolution and so far I have trashed a lot of captures because of that.

I'm doing better with my F3 cameras ... :rolleyes:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Any camera shake seems to be revealed by this high resolution and so far I have trashed a lot of captures because of that.

That is why I like VR lenses. I know you pay the price with not so great quality by some zooms. The 105mm Macro being an exception. I had mine no on the tripod yet (except for a video tests). May also not be that picky for sharpness though.

Lars

An aspect that hasn't been discussed much so far is the dual personality FX/DX. For my own photography I could see the need for DX 16 MPx in social settings, using much cheaper DX glass. Any comments? Is the viewfinder frame good enough for DX shooting?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>For my own photography I could see the need for DX 16 MPx in social settings, using much cheaper DX glass. Any comments? Is the viewfinder frame good enough for DX shooting?

This is a crop and the pixels are still small but of course it uses more the center of the frame. I think the viewfinder frame is ok.