The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Jérôme.E

New 85 1,8 G
The lens is incredibly light. It works well and AFS is outstanding.
Like that cambo!

At infinity

Crop 100

Close focus

I would have had a friend for portrait - 3d look testing

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jérôme,

Thank you for the 24 PCE examples. I have wondered about that combination specifically, and they look quite good.

Best,

Matt

tashley

Subscriber Member
Grrrr. Now I want one even more and things have gone silent on the D800E delivery front. I'm going to pay a scalper on eBay....

Thanks for posting these shots - for me, the 800 files are like looking into the scene itself, even at screen resolutions, rather than looking at a scene reproduced by a camera...

Jérôme.E

Still 85 with High iso and dark focus "testing".
Focus is accurate in low light no problem.

100% with No noise reduction

100% with Dfine2 (auto)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree Matt good to see the 24 PCE lens here , thanks Jerome for posting these. I still want to test a few lenses out myself so all this data is good. I'm reading reports of left side AF being week on the D800 and I have not seen any of the issues i have been reading about yellow LCD as well. But I do want to double check my 14-24 again. I would also like to try the 24 1.4 G and the Zeiss 25 F2. Going to a camera store this morning and see what I can ask to try out. Hell I am even thinking of renting a few lenses for the day. Might be worth the 100 dollars to double check my 180 against the 70-200 and also test my 14-24 against a few. I'm totally happy with the 35 1.4G, 50 1.8 G and the 85 1.4 G. I'm just nit picky as hell so wanna make sure of the other two.

Jérôme.E

85 again lowlight and High iso.
1600 is very good, 3200 also and 6400 weaker for sure.
But because of the resolution I'm not sure is efficient to look at 100% noise regarding what size you print.
What about noise video mode at those Isos??

Jérôme.E

[QUOTEThanks for posting these shots - for me, the 800 files are like looking into the scene itself, even at screen resolutions, rather than looking at a scene reproduced by a camera...[/QUOTE]

Totally agree Tashley. It is really impressive.

MGrayson

Thanks for posting these shots - for me, the 800 files are like looking into the scene itself, even at screen resolutions, rather than looking at a scene reproduced by a camera...
Yeah. I'm beginning to think those weird colors in Arizona aren't the camera's fault! :ROTFL:

Seriously, I am impressed buy the files, but not yet moved by them. Of course, making a moving image is in no small part done in post, but some files make it easy and some make it hard. I'm trying not to be biased by "it's more expensive, it has to be better", difficult though that is to avoid, but while I see a TON of detail from the 800, I haven't yet had the "Yep, this is what it's like to be there." response. From the samples posted in these fora, and that means taking which photographers own which cameras into account, I'd say the MF Leica, Hasselblad, and Phase have more of that "you are there" feeling (in that order, but all really good). I *think* that this is mostly a subtle color issue, and not something magical about large sensors. Or maybe I'm just a snob. :loco:

Of course, 5 stops of usable shadow can go a long way to warm a photographer's heart. :cool:

--Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Why you have 2 systems. For me its not my tech cam look or quality and my tech cam can't shoot what the Nikon can. The Nikon is going to be my workhorse.

MGrayson

Why you have 2 systems. For me its not my tech cam look or quality and my tech cam can't shoot what the Nikon can. The Nikon is going to be my workhorse.
Guy, I totally agree. It doesn't stop me dreaming of a "one system does everything" solution. I'm trying to convince myself that only one MF system is enough :bugeyes: . IQ for technical, but it's a shame that all the SLRs it fits on are such beasts. :rolleyes:

--Matt

Jérôme.E

It is really impressive.[/QUOTE said:
For a 35 FF

Matt, for sure It can't compete with our MFDB for the "you are there" feeling.
The 3D rendering is there but still not as my Leaf.
I never believe about MFDB killer anyway.
As Guy said, a nice workhorse hard to beat... :deadhorse: :D

Jérôme.E

Someone ask for 105 VR at infinity...

Closer range... didn't like that much the rendering of that lens at this distance.
I didn't find any nice 3D macro subject to shoot with.

Crop 100

D&A

Jerome, thanks ever so much for posting these, especially the images taken with the 24mm PCE. Obviously impressive with regards to both the rendering and level of detail, and is something we haven't see from a Nikon DSR previously. I'm still trying to get a handle on higher ISO shots, such as those taken at 1600 and 3200....sort of the bread and butter ISO's I often use in low light theater production work. Would it be possible when time permits, to post a crop (without post processing noise reduction), of those the higher ISO (1600 & 3200) images you posted above? Maybe covering part of the print on the easel extending across the floor to part of the man's dark color suit? This would cover some of the deeper shadows and a bit of highlights, while in comparison, the upper part of the ceiling would approximate some of the midtones. Thanks once again!

Dave (D&A)

Jérôme.E

The last but the best i tried i think. 24 1,4 G
Sun disappeared unfortunately

Crop 100

Ps: All shots were done handheld, i try to keep a x2-x3 shutter speed/focal.