The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Jérôme.E

Remember i did all these shots handheld and D800 was not "set up" the way i like so i'm sure you could get much of this nice camera with more time and practice.

Regards

Jerome

Jérôme.E

That 14-24 stadium shot really shows off the dynamic range. That's midday sun, sunlit clouds, AND stadium shadow. Nothing looks blocked or murky. I do notice you don't quite get the grass texture in the crop... could be the lens, or it's just at the AA filter limit.
Jan,

I think it is the lens that need micro focus adjustments. LV would help in this case.
I was not expecting that much DR with the D800. I don't remember do anything with highlights and blacks with this shot (neutral - 2012 Process LR4)

Chris C

about 24" wide at 300 dpi (7360x4912 pixels)
Uwe - Have just got back to the thread. Thanks for answering my question about 'native' print resolution.

I'd still like to hear about the focus assist effectiveness with manual focus lenses though.

........... Chris

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn I'm a really sick person. I think I'm going for the 24 1.4 and sell the 14-24. I'll list it in B&S. I may regret this but I need the speed in the Nikon kit.

ustein

Contributing Editor
> I think I'm going for the 24 1.4 and sell the 14-24. I'll list it in B&S.

I king of understand but would keep the 14-24mm if you like the range. Why does the speed make that much difference for you?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For event work mostly and a lot of staging things. In 35 I'm a speed freak with glass. I know I am sick in the head. Also the 24 has great F2 look to it for the creative stuff. Now if I had 1 kit the Nikon I would probably keep the zoom but having the tech cam I have a effective 19mm lens that will do all the wide high quality images. With 2 kits I can blend them a little. this is a tough call since we know from images already how nice the 14-24 is on the D800. I have some technically great images from it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
For event work mostly and a lot of staging things. In 35 I'm a speed freak with glass. I know I am sick in the head. Also the 24 has great F2 look to it for the creative stuff. Now if I had 1 kit the Nikon I would probably keep the zoom but having the tech cam I have a effective 19mm lens that will do all the wide high quality images. With 2 kits I can blend them a little. this is a tough call since we know from images already how nice the 14-24 is on the D800. I have some technically great images from it.
I understand.

vieri

Damn I'm a really sick person. I think I'm going for the 24 1.4 and sell the 14-24. I'll list it in B&S. I may regret this but I need the speed in the Nikon kit.
Guy, you'll love the 24 f1.4 - I have a (very good) copy of it, and it's an amazing lens, FAST which is great especially for event work and if you don't need the zoom. Great drawing, if a bit soft on corners (it's one of those lenses where you might need to look around for a good copy, it seems) and - did I mention it's FAST!?!? :ROTFL::ROTFL:

charlesphoto

Practically the only reason I still shoot with a Nikon D3 vs only the M9 is the 14-24. It's a one of a kind lens and can't be replicated. I have the 24 1.4 and while it's also a great lens there's no getting around having that amazing rectilinear 14mm to work when things get tight. I won't ever sell it.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks for the links to the test shots, Jérôme :thumbup:

Strange thing is I get tiff files when I download them :confused:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
booze and bikes

one for Gary :)

while waiting at the airport, contemplating buying a Jack Daniels to win a Harley to carry my camera ...

couldn't really make it sound convincing though

Link to the RAW file

80A_0475_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (8.2 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 14 bit 1/125 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4

ustein

Contributing Editor
Steen, thanks for the raw. Your images have a certain something. Nice composition and clarity on top.

Tripod at the airport?

There is quite a bit CA in this shot. LR4 does not seem to fix this. What did you do about it? Or does it just not show in hte small web image.

Last edited:

bensonga

Re: booze and bikes

one for Gary :)
while waiting at the airport, contemplating buying a Jack Daniels to win a Harley to carry my camera ...
Nice! I'm more of a BMW/Ducati/Honda guy (I've never really had the urge to buy a HD), but I appreciate two and four wheeled vehicles of all types. Especially Godfrey's yellow MB. :)

Gary

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I agree with you, Gary, I have never been a Harley fan myself.

I have had a couple of Nimbus machines, old (very old) danish motorbikes, plus a couple of Honda and Yamaha bikes.

I just found the Harley tempting while waiting for a plane, or maybe it was the Jack Daniels bottles. Purely artistic of course :lecture:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Steen, thanks for the raw. Your images have a certain something. Nice composition and clarity on top.

Tripod at the airport?

There is quite a bit CA in this shot. LR4 does not seem to fix this. What did you do about it? Or does it just not show in hte small web image.

Thanks Uwe

No tripod on this one, I'm soo proud I (nearly) succeeded handholding it at a shutter speed of only 1½ times the focal length :D

I have never had a fast 85mm that did not show quite a bit CA in specular highlights in e.g. chrome.

Actually this AF-S 85mm G is the best I have ever had with regards to this, while e.g. my Carl Zeiss 85mm ZF is quite a bit worse.

I just live with it and I didn't do anything to remove it, and you are right it is just not so visible in the small web image.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I just live with it and I didn't do anything to remove it,

Would do the same but see you more to be perfectionist :).

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Whoa, I'll have to show that one to my wife :angel:

Actually I usually do very little in post partly because I'm not all that knowledgeable with regards to post processing and partly because I'm not a fan of overprocessed images.

But thank you for your kind remark, Uwe, I guess now that at least I may after all be doing something right ... :D