The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yes, the renaming works without any problems, Uwe.

I just wonder why the files are renamed to the TIFF extension when I download them, but it's not a problem.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I just wonder why the files are renamed to the TIFF extension when I download them .

This is an interaction between Server and client (your browser). Which one are you using.

It is only a problem with non standard file types. The best way is to pout the files as ZIP on the server. Any browser understands this.

It did"t happened to me. Came as NEF.
I downloaded the 24PC with down shift and did not like the quality of that lens. I was thinking of buying it as I shoot architectural, but this is the second file that I try, other one from a fellow architectural photographer shooting with the D3X with all the possible care. Compare to the Canon is lame. ACH

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Compare to the Canon is lame.

You mean the 24mm second generation, right. The old one was not so great.

Exactly. As soon as the version II came out I bought it and is really good. Pity that Nikon didn't make it with that one.
For my new set up I'm still working out what I'm going to get in that range.. thinking Zeiss 21mm and correcting manually or shooting straight and cropping. Still not decided.
If you have any suggestions they'd be wellcome. ACH

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes the 14-24 is sold and I certainly gave thoughts to the 21mm Zeiss for sure a little wide for PR stuff. Here are my thoughts on this. I need a AF wide for the PR stuff so the 24 and 35 1.4 Nikons are the answer on that. Now for landscape shooting its another different bowl of wax here. If intended to do only landscape than i would buy either a Zeiss 15mm and 25mm F2 or a Zeiss 21 but I have a tech cam with a screaming 28mm on it that is a effective 19mm in 35mm world. Now lets talk about if i had the money and or not the tech cam here comes a interesting scenario . I would have 2 Nikon kits check this thinking.

Landscape Nikon kit D800E version and have all Zeiss manual focus glass , who cares your on a tripod anyway.

Now second kit Nikon wedding/Pr/Event/Fashion/Portraits and whatever kit

D800 and a host of Nikon AF fast glass and / or zooms

Now that is if I did not have a MF tech cam standing by. Heck you have a whole host of options here but if the 24mm works out I may just get a Zeiss 18mm manual focus just for the hell of it. LOL

Now say I was not a Pro and was not shooting for clients and a hobby like many of you all. Than I maybe inclined to have a combination here Zeiss 15 and 25 or 21mm than you could mix and match some Zeiss in here like the 100mm which is outstanding but have a couple fast Nikors in here like a 35 1.4 and or 50 1.4 or the 28mm 1.4 that is a screamer for street type work than a 70-200 for the long stuff. You have a lot of options here depending of what type of shooter you are or your interest but I would certainly be looking at some Zeiss glass folks for sure if I did not care about AF needs. No question

gustavo

The 24-70 not rated great at 24 or better I should say.
I`m learning a lot with all your comments. I`m fell to have found this forum.

Guy,
I`m learning a lot with all your comments, and some of them have showed me so interesting data and websites. I`m feel lucky to have found this forum. Thank`s.
The wide lens for the new d800e is still a big issue for me. I´m going to buy the 24-70, I´ve read very good reviews about its performance with the new d800, and I need to cover the mid-range with the good zoom.
I also need a very good wide lens for big architecture and landscapes prints. I know there some lens better than 24-70 at 24. The 14-24, 16—35, Zeis 21 2.8, could be better options, but is the 24-70 good enough for those big prints?
If not, is the 16-35 at 24, good enough?
Money issue is not a minor issue after the d800e, the 24-70, new memory, an extra battery, etc., so I need to take an efficient decision.

Guy thanks, I'll be interested to see what that 24 1.4 can do.
I was reading in Digilogs, that the Zeiss 21mm has a difficult distortion, strong wave-type distortion: first barrel distortion (bowing outwards), then reversing to pincushion distortion (bowing inwards).
So this makes me think on the 24 1.4 as well. ACH

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Damn I'm a really sick person. I think I'm going for the 24 1.4 and sell the 14-24. I'll list it in B&S. I may regret this but I need the speed in the Nikon kit.
I owned the 14-24 twice and while it is a great lens I found myself using it very rarely as opposed to primes. So I fully understand what drives you :)

Paratom

On my D700 (which is my only Nikon body left) if I use 24mm I choose most of the times the 24/1.4 (I also own the 14-24 and the 24PCE).
The 14-24 I find a bit big and heavy, the 24PCE I like the rendering a lot but the 24/1.4 handles best and then you have wide angle shallow DOF if you want it.

However, having used 21 and 24mm back and forth on the M9 I have to say that for me 21mm focal length works better. 24mm often feels like something in between. No real ultra wide, but also not the natural character like a 28 or 35mm fov.
Specially with the high resolution of the D800 I would probably avoid manual focus lenses, except I was planning to shoot mainly static subjects.

Guy Mancuso

Guy thanks, I'll be interested to see what that 24 1.4 can do.
I was reading in Digilogs, that the Zeiss 21mm has a difficult distortion, strong wave-type distortion: first barrel distortion (bowing outwards), then reversing to pincushion distortion (bowing inwards).
So this makes me think on the 24 1.4 as well. ACH
I owned this lens many moons ago and it is stellar but it has a nasty distortion to it that takes you out of normal programs to correct so it's not a simple check box in ACR to fix so it takes extra care.

The 24 on the other hand has a little more distortion than the 14-24 at 24 but again a easy fix with a check box in ACR.

Guy Mancuso

I owned the 14-24 twice and while it is a great lens I found myself using it very rarely as opposed to primes. So I fully understand what drives you :)
Yes anything that does not get used gets the boot out of my cabinet. Nothing bugs me more than not using something. I like that lens but I'm afraid it will sit

gustavo

Yes anything that does not get used gets the boot out of my cabinet. Nothing bugs me more than not using something. I like that lens but I'm afraid it will sit
The wide lens for the new d800e is still a big issue for me. I´m going to buy the 24-70, I´ve read very good reviews about its performance with the new d800, and I need to cover the mid-range with the good zoom.
I also need a very good wide lens for big architecture and landscapes prints. I know there some lens better than 24-70 at 24. The 14-24, 16—35, Zeis 21 2.8, could be better options, but is the 24-70 good enough for those big prints?
Money issue is not a minor issue after the d800e, the 24-70, new memory, an extra battery, etc., so I need to take an efficient decision.

Dan Bellyk

Think I will be heading to Toronto (3 hour drive) in a couple days to return the 500mm VR I have on loan from Nikon and will head to Vistek and give the Zeiss a try.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I read only great reviews about the 16-35 VR, so this is a fix starter for WA zoom for me. I am sure any prime will top it at 24, but the differences are not significant enough to justify carrying more lenses for this reason.

Total different thing is when I need 1.4 in any of the WA's. For this I will get a 1.4/24G as soon as I recover from the major system shift to Nikon and D800E :)