The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 First Blush

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW another thing that occurred to me in Nikons defense here this is the 35 1.4 G at F9 which could be starting to get diffraction. In hindsight maybe 5.6 but I shot the 160 at F9 so i was trying to not bring aperture into play but now that I think about it diffraction could be setting in.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just another date point from D800E... look at the pigeon spikes (always rather telling)

The LR version first, with what I consider slightly excessive sharpening (60,0.7, 70, 20) - a level which is fine for a D800 file with a moderately good lens but slightly overkill for E with a great lens (50 Cron R here).

Then second the C1 version at default - which I think is waaaay to high.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
C1's default radius of 180/0.8 is a little strong for most D800 files I've played with. I find using that or slightly higher amounts at 0.6 radius renders a more pleasing effect.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well playing around this morning went back to some shots and reprocessed them in C1. Everything done in C1 except the jpeg conversion for the web. I did notice when I hit the statue inside shots taken at ISO 1600 C1 automatically had noise reduction built in for that ISO and it looks very good indeed so left it at the default . Ill put those two up first here.

These are just grabs along the way

Both of these using the keystone tool in C1 to get all lines straight and i also did bring these into CS5 and added the lens corrections to them.

kmstudio

Re: High Noon

So now the inevitable High Noon ...

... I mean high ISO, first the Scenery at base ISO 100 (added daylight WB, and '50 out of 150 sharpness' in Lightroom, no other tweaks)

ISO 100 provided a shutter speed of 1/6 sec. at f/8

Link to the RAW file

80A_0094_AIS_20mm_iso100_12bit.NEF

click for native size (6.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 • AI-S Nikkor 2.8/20mm • 12 bit 1/6 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4
Hello all.
Is it just me or do I see fringing on the right side windows.
I have the D800 and I must say I am not thrilled. Maybe I just have a bad body.
I have used my 24-1.4, 85-1.4, 24-70, 50-1.8 and several other lenses. The 24 & 85 fringe badly and my 14-24 is unreal. I have been using these lenses on my D3, D3s, D3x with great results. I did the AF fine tune and the numbers are not drastic. Any one have some help full hints, settings or suggestions?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

You are right, there's a lot of lateral chromatic aberration, and it's the lens, an old design from the film days.

I left the aberration there so that it was visible to everyone, but it is easily corrected in e.g. Lightroom 4 just by a single tick in a check box: >> Lens Corrections >> Remove Chromatic Aberration

(Don't know what the problem in your pictures look like).