The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 long exposures

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Na best i got this weekend was 6 seconds. Shot with the 180mm 2.8 lens at ISO 100 at F6.3 and 6 seconds shot in Raw and than processed in ACR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Early morning in San Diego from my hotel room. For reference Sea World is just to the right of this. This is with the 180 which is a older lens from Nikon that I wanted to try out.

routlaw

Any issues with "hot pixels" or white spots as reported here:

Nikon D800 – Long exposure issues «
From my perspective this is not a realistic evaluation. Running an exposure for 6 minutes like this without having in camera NR turned on is inappropriate at best. For that matter anything longer than 1 second maybe less should have this attribute active. Even Phase One cameras with their long exposure capabilities will do this.

Rob

Swissblad

Thanks for clarifying - I didn't see the bit about NR being turned off - doesn't seem like a good idea.

routlaw

Thanks for clarifying - I didn't see the bit about NR being turned off - doesn't seem like a good idea.
Yeah there was some discussion down in the text below the images, regarding his not running the NR. Indeed seems like a bad idea with poor results.

viablex1

I haven't used NR with my D700 and I get 10 minutes usually but then again I haven't printed any...it is a pain to wait on it..