The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please share your thoughts on the 36MP advantage

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here are some of my thoughts:

Lets assume for a moment I would be happy with good 16MP images. Still 36MP would have an advantage.

1. Any lens corrections degrade image quality. More pixels help.

2. An perspective corrections degrade also image quality. Again more pixels allow more latitude.

3. Downsampling seems to improve the look

4. Did I mention cropping?

Please add your ideas.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Binning for superior noise rendering in high iso shooting -- is a net file downsize though.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Binning for superior noise rendering in high iso shooting

How can you set this up? Raw?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would equate your #3 with Jack's comments. Downsample.

I would propose that the extra resolution would also provide potentially smoother subtle color gradations.

V

Vivek

Dense pixels forces one to use wider apertures. If one must stop down beyond the diffraction limits, one of the 3 main aspects that Nikon tout as essential (the camera, the lens and the NX2), the lens becomes less important.

danielmoore

We'll think twice (or much more) before we shoot, for obvious reasons. Taking one's time with digital will then borrow from film's often more thoughtful approach. (>36mp shooter's excused from rebuttal).

Paratom

Here is one more:
+ you have a good reason to buy a new computer
+ and a good reason to buy a bigger printer
+ and a good reason to buy new top of the line lenses
+ and a good reason to buy new and fast CF cards
:deadhorse:

Seriuously what I like about high MP sensor is that
a) I have the freedom in case I get a great great images I can print as big as I want
b) I try to frame as good as possible when taking the images, but sometimes things happen fast and its great to be able to crop afterwards. It is also nice if one wants to experiment with different side ratios.
c) memory is not expensive any more, and computers get faster anyway, so I see no real downside from that part. The other thing is noise behaviour - the Nex7 is a little too much pixel density IMO in this regard.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
>Binning for superior noise rendering in high iso shooting

How can you set this up? Raw?
I would equate your #3 with Jack's comments. Downsample.

I would propose that the extra resolution would also provide potentially smoother subtle color gradations.
Yes, I guess it is the same -- but specifically improves very high ISO.

I'd currently do it in CS, but when C1 can handle the D800 raws, it might work very well in its output scaling. Benefit of C1 is it is performed on the raw and you can get multiple versions (and sizes) from one processing set.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Hello Steen,

> I try to frame as good as possible when taking the images

I did that for many, many years and still most images are 100% not cropped. But lens distortion and perspective corrections change the parameters. Here you need to leave some room. Now I can waste 6MP and still have a nice 30MP image.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have no options here I need big files, clients just tear your stuff apart and they go big on you without you even knowing it. Been burned before on this. Its a matter of horsepower. Many other reasons also but more the main thrust.