The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50mm Summicron R on D800E?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I was thinking of getting a Leitax adaptor for my late version 50 Cron R (the one with the electrical contacts). It has always done nicely on the 5DII and I wondered if anyone has tried it, or has a view on it, on the D800 or E? It would possibly be instead of a Nikon or Zeiss mid range prime. I want at least one lens form the get-go that can resolve to the limits of the sensor: the only other lens I have for the D800E's arrival is a brand new 24-120 F4VRII...

Thanks!

Tim

Tim,
a long time from Kodak 14n!

Waiting for the d800 and a full frame live view, I bought a few Leica r lenses:
elmarit 19 II, elmarit 35, summilux 50, elmarit 60 macro. I think that all of them
out resolve the d800 sensor. I say this because I tested on a G1 Panasonic with
resolution targets,and all generated strong color moire and luminance aliasing
on a sensor (equivalent pixel density of approx. 50 MP on 24x36) with an AA filter.
MTF curves suggest that at least at 5,6 total field of sensor should be out resolved.
Splendid lenses, anyway.
Planning a visit in Italy?
Regards.
Sergio

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Sergio! We've come a long way since then haven't we! But I did love the files form that SLRn, it was the camera that first got me hooked on no AA filter.

So I will buy the Leitax mount and fit it until my new 'baby' arrives... and then if it doesn't work I will come to Italy and find you!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously I do come to Italy usually at least once a year: I did a language course in Florence a few years back ma ho dimenticato tuti!

Ciao il mio Fratello

T

Tim,
a long time from Kodak 14n!

Waiting for the d800 and a full frame live view, I bought a few Leica r lenses:
elmarit 19 II, elmarit 35, summilux 50, elmarit 60 macro. I think that all of them
out resolve the d800 sensor. I say this because I tested on a G1 Panasonic with
resolution targets,and all generated strong color moire and luminance aliasing
on a sensor (equivalent pixel density of approx. 50 MP on 24x36) with an AA filter.
MTF curves suggest that at least at 5,6 total field of sensor should be out resolved.
Splendid lenses, anyway.
Planning a visit in Italy?
Regards.
Sergio

S

ssanacore

I too have three Leica R lenses I use extensively for years on all my Canon bodies with superb results. I now have a D800E on order and would love to know your results. I can't imagine any other lenses will perform better than the best Leica R's. I have a 19 f2.8, 28 f2.8 and 35 f2 - all the latest versions and according to Erwin Puts - all the best versions of each focal length.

Now the question is - which adapter have you found to be the best?

Thank you and nice to meet your guys on here.

I too have three Leica R lenses I use extensively for years on all my Canon bodies with superb results. I now have a D800E on order and would love to know your results. I can't imagine any other lenses will perform better than the best Leica R's. I have a 19 f2.8, 28 f2.8 and 35 f2 - all the latest versions and according to Erwin Puts - all the best versions of each focal length.

Now the question is - which adapter have you found to be the best?

Thank you and nice to meet your guys on here.
I used leitax for Nikon, which are extremely accurate. Infinity is spot on the
mark on the lenses.
Problem with the elmarit 19 II : with FX bodies and even with my D2x, rear
part of the lens interferes with mirror. Solution indicated on leitax site.
Also, the adapter must be slightly filed in the area interested by the
aperture lever, to avoid friction.(10 holes type required)
I compared the 19 with the nikkor 17-35 2,8, and the 19 is substantially better,
at least on the D2x.

Regards.
Sergio

BSEH

Hi

My new D800 is backordered, and I wait impatiently to try the following Leitax conversions. Zeiss 28/2.8 - 50/1.4 and Leica 90/2 and Telyt 180/3.4.

It is not the "best" in resolution, but expected to keep up with the 36 MP. Especially Telyt 180/3.4 should be able to pull most MP out of the sensor.

But looking forward to hearing others' experiences while I wait.

Please, I't would be nice with a couple of photos here.