The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 200 mm F2 . I'm just asking

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW speaking of lens hoods and slightly off topic but I do not use any supplied hoods or caps with my lenses. Yes I am a risky kind of guy but I buy cheap on eBay metal hood screw in hoods and they just stay on no caps, no filter and go in my bag. Really nice just to throw on a lens and only deal with a rear cap which are all the same and don't matter if you mix them up. I have done this for years. It really makes changing lenses a snap. Just thought I would share .

bensonga

Whatever reservations folks may have about the D800, I'm going with this thought: if it's good enough for Guy to be "researching" a ~$5k lens to stick on the end of it, that camera is good enough for me. ;)

Gary
(thrilled to have a new 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor VR....now 'patiently' waiting for the D800E to arrive).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Pah! $5k, that's chump change if Guy gets the wildlife bug :eek: :D Ditto the wait too btw, after 10 months waiting for my 600/4 VR I actually ended up buying a used (basically new) one from one of the GetDPI members. Some of the glass is obviously hand crafted by maidens in Tokyo one by one but only when everything Feng Shui is in perfect celestial alignment.

Guy Mancuso

LOL Thanks Gary. I do like it a lot. What it does for me is give me back the file sizing that I need for clients that I could not get with other 35mm cams I had in the past. Main reason I went MF was I needed the horsepower. Now I went mostly with the tech cam for the ultimate images when the need arises but I still need a versatile system that can produce and this is starting to look good. I can get some really nice glass and play easier. I was also trying to reduce my systems and having 3 is just getting to be too much especcially with the costs of these high end lenses. Its really hard to support three and it bugs me to no end letting something sit on the shelf. So now I have a nice basic kit that I can build on and add some real nice Mojo lenses to it. If anything after all these years it is about the look of the file more than anything. And to be honest you all know it I am a huge lens whore. LOL

D&A

I know many of us have used and are used to big glass...like 300 f2.8, 600 f4 and some of the equivalents in Lecia R. Yet one thing I would strongly suggest Guy is why so many who love or have loved this lens (the 200 f2), eventually sell it. It looks size wise (especially without the hood) that one can grab it take it with them regulary and even hand hold it for a good many shots (if not with the monopod). The physical look of the lens is very deceiving, appearing to be a a very manageable size..yet due to its compact and dense physical mass, it's almost as heavy as the current 300 f2.8. Therefore when you think of grabbing it, like you would most any of the Nikon lenses you already own, you'll begin to think twice after a time. Most do (even though they think they won't).

If you have a shoot and a specific need for it, there are few lenses like it, and the way it captures unique and special images is extremely fine...but just think of it as a 300 f2.8 when it comes to the times you'll take it with you in your bag say on a general outing. So many love it, can't imagine being without it, but a large percentage of these same individuals do eventually find that the # of times they use it, doesn't justify the amount of $$ of it just sitting there and its then that it gets sold. My gut feeling is this happens far greater than any of the other big Nikon glass where expected use is different and quite predictable. Just something to contemplate and maybe prior to making the investment, rent it for a weekend. Some personal thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So many love it, can't imagine being without it, but a large percentage of these same individuals do eventually find that the # of times they use it, doesn't justify the amount of $$ just sitting there and then it gets sold. My gut feeling this happens far greater than any of the other big Nikon glass where expected use is different and quite predictable. Just something to contemplate and maybe prior to making the investment, rent it for a weekend. Some personal thoughts.

Dave (D&A)
:thumbs: I couldn't agree more. This is certainly the experience of not just myself but a number of my Nikon shooting buddies. Actually I'd rent it for a few weekends to be honest because the first weekend will have you fall in love, the next will have you start to feel whether you're going to get along or not and by the third you'll either be attached at the hip or looking for an exit strategy - hmm, just like dating. :facesmack:

FredBGG

Not Available
I have used both. VRII is better. It's noticable with higher frequency vibration, the type you get from a monopod. The monopod will do away with lower frequency vibration.
Also if you are going to do video go for VRII

Both lenses are very good. However the tripod mount is too tar forward and is not ideal for panning on a monopod. You sort of have to scoot your head around too much.

The place I rented it from recommended a tripod plate that placed the tripod further back. Way better.

Also using long lenses like this on a 25MP or higher sensor you really want to kill vibration. I used a very heavy monopod device with a rotation damper.
It was sort of a heavy duty one of these:

Manfrotto 560B1 4-Section Fluid Monopod, Tilt Top Head 560B-1

Guy Mancuso

Yea I hear you guys been down this path with the Leica 180 F2 and canon 1.8 it does get left in the dust sometimes. One way around it is I love the little Domke X5 bag which sometimes i put a big lens in keep it in the car if needed or sling it off the other shoulder but I hear your words and can relate very well to ah that thing is just a hassle. LOL

I'm chewing on it believe me. And yes renting it is a great idea but Dave i know exactly what will happen. ROTFLMAO

Guy Mancuso

I have used both. VRII is better. It's noticable with higher frequency vibration, the type you get from a monopod. The monopod will do away with lower frequency vibration.
Also if you are going to do video go for VRII

Both lenses are very good. However the tripod mount is too tar forward and is not ideal for panning on a monopod. You sort of have to scoot your head around too much.

The place I rented it from recommended a tripod plate that placed the tripod further back. Way better.

Also using long lenses like this on a 25MP or higher sensor you really want to kill vibration. I used a very heavy monopod device with a rotation damper.
It was sort of a heavy duty one of these:

Manfrotto 560B1 4-Section Fluid Monopod, Tilt Top Head 560B-1
Thanks Fred . Honestly not so worried about the VR part, I do use a monopod a lot and actually like working with one. I thought correct me if i am wrong would you not just turn the VR off when mounted to a pod. Seems kind of redundant.

D&A

Guy, if you do eventually decide to purchase the lens...many users remove the original Nikon tripod foot (takes but a minute to undo the small screws) and replace it with the RRS foot. From what I recall, with the original short Nikon foot and a QR plate, you cannot reverse the original hood for storage. By installing the RRS repalcement foot which is made specifically for this lens, and then adding a QR plate....you "CAN" reverse the original hood for storage. Additionally the lens comes with a extremely well made sling type over the shoulder Nikon bag and if you use the original foot with a QR plate it won't fit into this or similary sized bag. So 1st thing to do, is replace that original foot.

Lastly many do use VR with this lens when using a monopod and it works quite effectively.

Dave (D&A)

FredBGG

Not Available
Thanks Fred . Honestly not so worried about the VR part, I do use a monopod a lot and actually like working with one. I thought correct me if i am wrong would you not just turn the VR off when mounted to a pod. Seems kind of redundant.
I like working with a monopod too. However I have found that VR is helpfull with a monopod too as you can still have lateral shake. When using such a high defenition and "smallish sensor" vibration is more of an issue. You need to move an MF back twice as much to have the same problem.

But more important than VR is having a stand with a good amount of mass and solidity. I have done resolution test chart tests with the Fuji gx680 on a regular tripod and then on a really heavy studio column tripod. I did these at 1/60th. It is quite amazing to see the gain in resolution. Mind you the Fuji does have a rather slappy mirror.

I shot once with loud music in studio using a carbon monopod.... it was resonating with the music and I was not getting very sharp photos.
I put the camera on the column stand and problem was solved.

I think that the resolution of the D800 in such a small space 24x36 requires taking certain steps to make it work at it's best.

A friend sent me a couple of beauty shots shot with the d800. Big Elinchrom Octa, little makeup and natural skin. The tones, detail and color were just wonderful. Can't post them as they are for publication in a month or so.
It was nice to see the shots though. No fancy lighting scheme, no rim or hair lights, just nice simple soft light.

Anyway going back to the VR.... IF your not shooting video I think that saving $ 2,000 on a VR I lens instread of a VR II lens is a smart move if you are using a monopod and can add some weight to the monopod. But you know where that saved $ 2,000 is going to go already .. right.... how many lenses does Nikon make?:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Nice article . Pretty much what I would say been down this road with the Canon 200 1.8 and Leica 180 r F2 big bad *** lenses that nothing comes close to matching the look. To me it's ALL about look. I will get one at some point I know myself too well.