The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any D4 users?

Swissblad

Just curious to know if there were any D4 users in this forum...?
Seems like the D4 is being overshadowed by the D800...!
What are 1st impressions like?
Am particularly interested in AF capability with 2X with f4 prime lenses and high ISO.
Thanks, S :)

routlaw

Just curious to know if there were any D4 users in this forum...?
Seems like the D4 is being overshadowed by the D800...!
What are 1st impressions like?
Am particularly interested in AF capability with 2X with f4 prime lenses and high ISO.
Thanks, S :)
Sure enough the D4 and Canon 5D MK3 were not introduced in the last month or it wouldn't seem so, LOL. :rolleyes:

I have posted a few samples on the forum with my D4 and will say its a fabulous camera and a noticeable improvement over the D3 even though the pixel increase is only an approximate 25% increase . Image quality is much smoother and more refined than the D3 with noise well under control.

I don't do high ISO so not much help there. AF seems very accurate and very fast though I don't rely on this attribute much either. I have done some 4 and 8 minute exposures in pretty much pitch black night conditions and as long as NR is turned on within the camera the IQ is smooth as butter. Impressed the heck out of me.

Hope this helps, but not sure any of this addressed your questions.

Rob

routlaw

Thanks Rob - it does sound like a great camera.
Forgot one important aspect which I mentioned in another thread. Color balance is significantly improved on the D4 with remarkably accurate results with auto WB which is something I never rely on but… its really good.

I should have a loaner D800 to compare before too long. Am mostly curious to see how stitched frames hold up to the D800 in single frames especially with smaller apertures for better DOF.

Also have yet to run across moire patterns with the D4 with fabrics :clap: (knock on wood) which is something quite problematic with the D3 at times.

Swissblad

Thanks Rob,
Am more interested in the D4 than D800... bird photography is becoming quite a passion...:)
Best, S :)

fultonpics

Hey, I'm just a hack with a camera, but been using the D4 to cover local hockey team (just made playoffs!). Will be dragging to the sf baseball games next week. generally, it tracks super fast on a 400 2.8 and 70-200. my yield has improve quite a bit. if i can track hockey guys, you should easily track them birds. great camera so far. already had pics published from it--so it does the job