The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A gallery of D800 shots

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's where I'm banging them up:

Tim Ashley Photography | D800 | _DSC2342

All available to download at 50% size (too many to upload otherwise, and I think that's a great size from which to assess them anyway)... and at a whole variety of apertures, focal lengths on the 24-120, and ISOs so that people can see what the rig does under a variety of circumstances.

Processing is different for each one, but in a quick and dirty way makes them look about right.

I will add results with other lenses as I acquire them (next: Zeiss 100 Makro and Nikon 24 PCE) and also with the D800E when it arrives.

I posted some from yesterday in the Nikon Images thread but here are some I quite like from today. No high art, just snappy snaps...

J

johann

hi Tim,
thanks for loading this up. they look great. I was just about to ask the question how the D800/D800e would perform with the PCE 24. I have the canon 5d mkII+ ts-e 24 II combo and that's a winning team. what's your guess with D800 and PCE? I would use it mostly for ineteriors and shifted.
your images look very promising.

would be happy, if you would share your findings.

best,
johannes

tashley

Subscriber Member
hi Tim,
thanks for loading this up. they look great. I was just about to ask the question how the D800/D800e would perform with the PCE 24. I have the canon 5d mkII+ ts-e 24 II combo and that's a winning team. what's your guess with D800 and PCE? I would use it mostly for ineteriors and shifted.
your images look very promising.

would be happy, if you would share your findings.

best,
johannes

Hi Johannes,

I've spent weeks looking at reviews and samples and opinions and for now I've decided that my kit will be the 24PCE and the Zeiss 100Makro, because they are both useful focal lengths and very fine lenses that people are finding really nice on the D800. Also a Leica R 50 Cron with Leitax mount, because I already own the lens!

J

johann

Hi Tim,
thanks for your quick reply. is thera any CA on the Leica lens visible?
seems indeed a great alternative!

thanks,
Johannes

S

Shelby Lewis

Hi Johannes,

I've spent weeks looking at reviews and samples and opinions and for now I've decided that my kit will be the 24PCE and the Zeiss 100Makro
Exactly what I'm going to go with to start as well...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just got an email saying my adaptor is in the mail from Spain, so I guess I'll be reporting back soon!

BSEH

Hi Tim

Nice work, but i don't quite understand how much PP you dit on the pictures showing up here.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim

Nice work, but i don't quite understand how much PP you dit on the pictures showing up here.
All shot RAW, processed in LR4 with Camera Standard profile, lens corrections with CA reduction, sharpening to 60, 0.7, 70, 20... Then season to taste, which is generally not very much but varies from picture to picture.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim D-lighting on or off?
Active D works only in JPEG and I only shoot RAW... But from what I am seeing, as long as you don't clip to the right, you can be your own active D! There's so much info in the files that you can pull details out like rabbits from a hat!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim
Looks like you're having fun (I'm jealous)
all the best
You know what? I really am! It all just works, no problems, no returns, no niggles. I love the files' flexibility in PP and the lens is an unexpected treat. I have a Zeiss 100 Makro and a Nikon 24 PC-E and my Leitax adaptor for the 50 Cron R arriving in the next day or so and am going to take them all off on a trip next week... Finland, Marrakech or the Black Forest, not decided!

All round, this is probably the single best camera I've ever owned...

:):):)

jonoslack

All round, this is probably the single best camera I've ever owned...

:):):)
Shhhhhhhhh - but have a great trip anyway.
My camera playing time was all in China, and I had a lot of M fun there. Now I have to catch up for the next trip (Cornwall at the end of May, then a couple of festivals, then Greece I think).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Shhhhhhhhh - but have a great trip anyway.
My camera playing time was all in China, and I had a lot of M fun there. Now I have to catch up for the next trip (Cornwall at the end of May, then a couple of festivals, then Greece I think).
I was single handedly responsible for the end of the Cornish heat wave ten days ago. Whenever I arrive, it freezes over! Regarding M fun, love the lenses as I do, I can no longer deal with their lack of ability to hold a steady relationship with the body. They drift all the time and I can't be arsed to keep iterating adjustments any more... I am so over it!

jonoslack

I was single handedly responsible for the end of the Cornish heat wave ten days ago. Whenever I arrive, it freezes over!
No No - that was our fault for coming back from chilly China.
We were going at the end of next week, but weather and work has meant that we've put it off until the last week of May (we really must meet up there again one day).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim

By the way I love your Kastrup shots... That place would really work as part of a long run series I have been doing. I used to spend a lot of time in Denmark, I love it! I might have to return...

tashley

Subscriber Member
No No - that was our fault for coming back from chilly China.
We were going at the end of next week, but weather and work has meant that we've put it off until the last week of May (we really must meet up there again one day).
We must indeed. You can play with my D800 and pretend not to be alpha testing anything exciting!