The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 800E Milky Way Test

Tim Ernst

Just a quick test in the front yard early this morning with the new camera to see the Milky Way - 14-24mm lens at 14mm, ISO 6400, 10 seconds at f3.3, in-camera noise reduction ON. Converted to DNG, opened in CS6 with no corrections.

2000 pixel version, minimum output sharpening, save for web at high/60 quality - http://www.timernst.com/webphotos/041712MilkyWayTest2000pix.jpg

*UPDATE - the fullsize file has reached it limit of downloads and is no longer available.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim, no offense, but it's appears to be so noisy it detracts from the star field? That aside, it is cool that it picked up a hint of the color in the clusters. It shows promise for sure!

Tim Ernst

No offense taken Jack - I didn't build the sensor. There is no processing done to this file so it is what it is. I just put up a naked file to show what you get when you shoot at 6400 with this sensor...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No offense taken Jack - I didn't build the sensor. There is no processing done to this file so it is what it is. I just put up a naked file to show what you get when you shoot at 6400 with this sensor...
Tim, totally understood -- just wanted to make sure we were on the same page -- again, thank you for sharing the image! I do look forward to some ISO 100 shots done with great glass at f5.6 off the tripod though (HINT HINT HINT!!!)

:ROTFL:

eleanorbrown

Me too Tim. Just called B&H to inquire about the d800e backorder status and they have no idea when my camera will be delivered. Already have the Nikkor 14-24 and 35 1.4 and my zeiss 100 f2 arrives tomorrow ...just no camera for them. Would love to see one of your raws as download at base iso..:) Eleanor

Tim, totally understood -- just wanted to make sure we were on the same page -- again, thank you for sharing the image! I do look forward to some ISO 100 shots done with great glass at f5.6 off the tripod though (HINT HINT HINT!!!)

:ROTFL:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Me too Tim. Just called B&H to inquire about the d800e backorder status and they have no idea when my camera will be delivered. Already have the Nikkor 14-24 and 35 1.4 and my zeiss 100 f2 arrives tomorrow ...just no camera for them. Would love to see one of your raws as download at base iso..:) Eleanor
Me too Eleanor. I ordered from a local dealer that usually does very well in getting stock even for us non-NPS folks, and they have no clue. And I too have lenses pining away for a body, (also including the Zeiss 100, which I really want to see on the D800e)