The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dust Protection and the D800

A

Alexander DeVoe

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has a good method for dust-proofing a camera for a very tough week in a camera hostile environment. I will be using a D800 and a 14-24mm and 50mm 1.4G. I found some generic waterproof bags, but I doubt they will fit the 14-24, given that it is such a hog. I haven't been finding an answer that quite solved my problem.

Does anyone have any experience shooting in a dusty desert/lake bed environment? I have a fairly limited budget after all my camera/lens/support gear, and seeing as this will be just a one time deal, it doesn't warrant a full housing purchase. Hopefully someone knows! Also, time isn't an issue, as this is a far in the future event.

Thanks!

-Alexander DeVoe

robmac

Maybe try ThinkTank

Camera Rain Covers

If sunny, I'd be tempted to cover any dark cover with something reflective to keep the heat down.

Porta Brace (direct in US or thru B&H) also makes come camera covers that might work - one in white IIRC for hot environments to keep the heat down.

Haven't used either firms covers yet, but might be an option. Good luck.