The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 3200

Terry

But this is the entry level dslr so I'm sure there are some other limitations with regards to handling that the companies impose on their lower end models.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But this is the entry level dslr so I'm sure there are some other limitations with regards to handling that the companies impose on their lower end models.
Of course there are limitations, but the only thing that would matter much to me is the small viewfinder. Compared to the D800? 80% of the linear resolution for 20% of the price? Yes, I know, that comparison will bring on even more differences, but will they affect my photos?

There are no WA primes available for the D3200, but there's the "primish" Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, a truly excellent lens that will be available in F-mount with a motor later this year.

20% of the price? Do I really need that full frame thing?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nikon is lately going the right route!

They are not only pushing the limits in FF DSLR with 36MP, they are also pushing the limits of APSC DSLRs combined with a very attractive and competitive price. I expect to see some other 24MP models above the 3200, like maybe a D7200 which then brings Pro level handling and AF to the APSC segment.

They are pretty smart and worked nicely and quietly in the background in order to get their act together with high resolution image processing as well as excellent high ISO performance - Expeed3 I would call this in combination with the sensors of course.

Only weak point in this are still some of their lenses, especially in the DX area. If they manage to improve this then I would call their lineup pretty much unbeatable :D

RichA

Nikon throws down the gauntlet for the pixel emancipation of the downtrodden working class!! :)

They also throw down the gauntlet on creating the most confusing product line imaginable. Can anyone make sense of the different levels / product names / numbers?

Why are they making a 24mpx consumer class dslr for $700, but continuing the semi-pro d300s, at 12mpx, for over $1000? This is not an isolated example of weirdness.

I suppose it's refreshing to see a company with more brains in engineering than in marketing, but it would be nice if they took a breather one of these days and cleaned house.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D300s has probably been out of production for months already. The little they sell is old stock. But for those who need the AF, the viewfinder, the build quality, the buffer depth or the ergonomics of the D300, the D3200 wouldn't be an alternative even if it had 200MP. Newer cameras will often have more megapixels, not because they are more suitable for serious work, but because they are newer.

But for those who need the AF, the viewfinder, the build quality, the buffer depth or the ergonomics of the D300, the D3200 wouldn't be an alternative
Oh, I agree completely. Just saying that by neglecting certain product lines, and upgrading lower ones superior specifications, they create a frustrating and confusing range of cameras. Why hasn't the d300 been replaced by a higher spec, semi-pro, dx camera? My d5000 (itself an old model) has a better sensor than the 300, but has an annoyingly amateurish design.

V

Vivek

Oh, I agree completely. Just saying that by neglecting certain product lines, and upgrading lower ones superior specifications, they create a frustrating and confusing range of cameras. Why hasn't the d300 been replaced by a higher spec, semi-pro, dx camera? My d5000 (itself an old model) has a better sensor than the 300, but has an annoyingly amateurish design.
The replacement of the D300 is the D300s.

Remember D70? 6 Mega pixels (D1x was the flagship at that time)!

V

Vivek

Yes.

I will check the that kitzoom (no VR 18-55) on my NEX-7.

The 10.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye Nikkor (it is a telecentric lens) does wonderfully well on the NEX-7.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The lenses do need to resolve even more than on the D800 I think.
They will, and some of them don't. I looked at some samples on Flickr posted by Nikon France, Flickr: Nikon France's Photostream. They mostly look good, but there are clearly weaknesses that I can't see that can be blamed on anything but the lens, unless there's something in Flickr's compression algorithm. The landscape shot in particular is lacking detail.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
>The landscape shot in particular is lacking detail.

Could be also a higher f-stop.
It's taken with the kit zoom at f/8. The aperture should be ideal, the lens is not. With the kit lenses, this is hardly a 24MP camera. Tokina 11-16 and the new f/1.8 trio from Nikon, 28, 50 and 85mm, would be an excellent travel kit.