The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An interesting 5DIII / D800 read

Kirk Candlish

Thanks for sharing. The best review I read recently...
Yes Fred's real world comparison is remarkably lean on the pixel peeping and yet delivers a valid assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of both cameras. It's a pleasure when a review can be concise and informative without subjecting us to an inordinate amount of math and charts.

tjv

I really do wish Nikon had a stronger set of PC-E lenses, as he mentions. Other than that I'm really impressed by the D800, especially with regard to its useable dynamic range – something I struggled with when using the 5DII for finicky paid work. We really are lucky to live in an age with such amazing technology and choice!

Kirk Candlish

Bringing new PC lenses to the market before the new cameras wouldn't have served them well. Now that they have cameras that will truly be the DSLR of choice for many architectural and landscape photographers I think it's reasonable to expect lens updates to follow quickly.

Dustbak

Not so sure about that. Even though I certainly would like to see Nikon update the PC-E lenses. My main gripes are the fact you can not set the shift and tilt axis independent from each other. I also would love to have something like the 17mm made by Canon available for the Nikon.

Anyway, it took Nikon a long time to come up with the PC-E lenses after the introduction of the PC85. I somehow doubt they will be updating the 3 PC-E lenses anytime soon. I would love to be wrong here BTW.

jeffvk

Could someone that has access to this two wonderful cameras please make 20x30 prints or so of the same scene and tell us what you see? I'd like to know at the print level what difference you can actual see in the print (with dot gain, etc that comes from printing) not based on theory or screen resolution.

That would be amazingly helpful.

jeff

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Have never seen a worse review than this one!

This is about system and lenses, not about serious cameras. For example a person biased as much to a certain brand and using on the other brand third party lenses looses complete credibility IMHO.

But sure, one can always steer reviews in a certain way so a favorite winner comes out in the end, which was favored already from the beginning.

Too bad :thumbdown:

jonoslack

Have never seen a worse review than this one!

This is about system and lenses, not about serious cameras. For example a person biased as much to a certain brand and using on the other brand third party lenses looses complete credibility IMHO.

But sure, one can always steer reviews in a certain way so a favorite winner comes out in the end, which was favored already from the beginning.

HI Peter
I think we read different reviews!
I agree - Fred is a Canon guy, and there was only one native Nikon lens, but that Zeiss is no slouch . . . and the shadow noise test was nothing less than stunning.

If I was contemplating one of these cameras, then this review would certainly send me to Nikon.

Incidentally, nice to see a review with so many fine photographs - thanks tjv - I enjoyed that!

T.Karma

Surely, the Zeiss 21mm is a piece of crap, intentionally chosen to make the Nikon look bad. :loco:

I found the review very useful as it was real world and I thought he was really fair, especially showing the strength of the Nikon. So what did you miss in there?

To read numbers dpreview is probably the best, but then ... their gallery sample images so often somehow look the same, magically.

jlm

Workshop Member
jono:

i too liked the shots; usually yosemite is so overworked, but these had a freshness. I particularly liked seeing the stars in the sky.

that shadow test was surprising; be interesting to compare the Nikon to the Phase IQ in that respect. wonder if it is processing software dependent?

jonoslack

that shadow test was surprising; be interesting to compare the Nikon to the Phase IQ in that respect. wonder if it is processing software dependent?
HI There
I can't believe that was software dependent . . . the absence of noise in the D800 shadows was the most impressive thing I've seen so far (which is saying a lot).

I'm wedded to Leica for my serious photography, but Fred's review is the most compelling thing I've seen . . . . .

iwillnotgobacktoabigcamerakitIwillnotgobacktoabigcamerakit :bugeyes:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Jono, the shadow lift abilities are stupendous, like nothing I have seen... you want, trust me...

Rethmeier

I find similar shadow control with my D3x.Hence I'm not getting a D800.
I prefer to wait for a D4x,if that ever comes out.
I do agree the issue with the PC-E lenses.
The 85 PC-E is excellent though.
I read somewhere that Nikon is working on a 17 PC-E, however I would prefer a 35 PC-E
I find the 24 PC-E just good enough with the D3x.

jeffvk

Now that people are making big prints comparing the D800 and D800E, could someone throw the 5Dm3 into the mix? Maybe on the weekend workshop in Carmel? Those of us sitting on the fence would find that extremely valuable.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I may shoot pairs of shot with 5D3 and D800 today. Can provide raws but won't print.

macoberly

Uwe, I would be tickled pink if you would provide a couple of raws. I am thinking of adding a 35mm setup to my MF setup. Having used Nikon in the film days and and original 5d, I am very open to either camera setup. Resolution isn't the most important thing to me. I want a camera that performs well at high iso, and I also want good quality raws that can be pushed around a lot if needs be. I'm leaning towards the d800 because the shadow information seems to be very clean.

Thanks.

Mason.

jeffvk

Thanks Uwe- I will make the prints. I find you and Jack's opinions very insightful. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the differences, good and bad between working with the two systems.

ohnri

Very nicely done!

The best comparison review I have read yet. Well written, balanced and with plenty of pretty pictures. Also, it is fun to read what the serious landscape guys go through to get a shot.

I, too, have found that my D3x and D4 pull shadows like a tractor.

In fact, for my next cage fight shoot I'm taking my D4 and the 50 f/1.4 G and 24 f/1.4 G in lieu of my M9 and Noct f/1 and 21mm 'lux.

I expect a different look but should still be killer.

By the way, the D4 buffer appears to be bottomless.

-Bill

Fashion meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher |