The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nice Companion for a D800... a bit OT

FredBGG

Not Available
I just bought a nifty Samsung Slate Series 7.

It's a PC in a tablet body that comes with a pressure sensitive Wacom stylus.

It's a great tool for work out in the field.

Runs Windows 7 or Windows 8 consumer preview and I've seen one running the mac OS. It can also run Android apps while running windows.

Has a USB port to connect your camera.

11.2 wide screen

I know quite a few of you here have bought the D800 for field work and this tablet PC makes a great sidekick.

I am running photoshop and lightroom on it and it's remarkably fast for such a small device.

Lightroom lends itself to tough screen control and relatively small screen.

The screen is really nice, and being a windows machine my Data Color Spyder Pro 4 works perfectly on it. So nice to have a calibrated screen on a tablet.

The wide screen aspect ratio is also better got these apps as it leaves more room for the tool pallets.

It has a 1.6 Ghz dual core CPU 4 gigs of ram and a 128gb SSD drive.

Don't have my d800 cameras yet, but they should get on just fine.

Live view and camera control on this will be a nice thing to have.

Last edited:

FredBGG

Not Available
The screen resolution is lower. The Samsung is 1366x768.
More than that is IMO overkill on small screens, especially for running main stream applications because the controls and dialog boxes would become to small on screen.

Dan Bellyk

I tried tethering my D800 to my new iPad and it would not work as well as my laptop with Lightroom 4, not sure if it is supported yet.....Sucks
Looks like a nice Tablet, enjoy

yatlee

Nice tablet, Fred. I recently got the new dell ultra book with USB 3.0. It looks just like a MacBook air with decent battery life. I hope phase one can activate the USB 3 port on the IQ soon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very interesting alternative, Fred. iPad never did it for me, but this one might. Do you know if it has enough power to run a 2.5" backup HDD?

Ummm... it's almost as expensive and almost as heavy as my MBA 13.