The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EN-EL15 battery recall

Oren Grad

Apologies if everyone knows this already, but it's important and since I've not seen it posted here yet:

Nikon EN-EL15 rechargeable Li-ion battery recall | Nikon Rumors

Although NR says there are no user reports of problems, Thom Hogan thinks otherwise and is urging all to take this one seriously:

www.bythom.com

Frankly, "service advisory" is too polite a term and too easy for people to ignore. This is a recall by any stretch of the imagination and should be labeled as such in the headline on Nikon's site. And to further label it within the text as a "voluntary" recall additionally softens the language. The bottom line is simple: continuing to use one of the affected batteries is a severe risk and should be avoided.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Oren, good data for sure. Need to check mine this evening.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have 1 out of 3 that fits the recall. Not sure though it actually came from the camera box, the V1 or one I bought. I put it aside for now.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

> I put it aside for now

Maybe we'd better get them out of our houses.

Thom Hogan has a Blog post about it: >> April 26

Thom Hogan's Nikon Camera, DSLR, Lens, Flash, and Book site

Quoting:

"The affected batteries are assumed hazardous.
You shouldn't be sending them willy-nilly through the post or shipping services.
Because the casing has deformed on some of the batteries and because a short circuit is involved, the batteries have to be assumed to be an explosion and fire hazard.
Lithium is volatile when exposed to air.
Nikon is trying to get the batteries back in a responsible and reasonable way, and as quickly as possible.
They can't just send you a new battery and ask you to dispose of the old one.
And you can't just stick these batteries in a box and put that on a plane, either.
Essentially, the recall forces the batteries to be treated as hazardous material, which they are."

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have one and havi g read the Nikon advisory I just carried on using it. To say that I am still here would be to demonstrate a misunderstanding of statistics as they apply to risk but I can't help but feel in this litigious world that if Thom is right and these things are about to start going off like fire crackers, Nikon would have stated the recall a little more explicitly?