The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E with 50 Cron R: match made in Heaven?

nikonf

Tim,
Thank you so very much for posting these lovely images!
I am now certain I made the right decision to wait for the D800E.
You are absolutely correct in your description of the 50 cron.
I only have the 100mm Macro-Elmarit now and I will certainly pick-up a Leica 50mm for use with my 800E.
It is an exciting time now and being able to use these wonderful Leitz optics makes things really fun again.
All the best,
Mike

BSEH

That's fantastic. Thanks Tim. It sounds like shooting with stop down metering isn't too big of a challenge. Any tips on adapter Series 6 to thread filters?

This latest shop is absolutely lovely. Love the colours! Was much post done to it?
If the stop down mode gives one a hard time, then consider replacing the focusing screen. On other cameras i use a Katzeye split screen, it does one nails it's every time. It can also be helpful to see when autofocus fails on your Af lenses.

hubertk

Hi Tim

Sorry I wasn't clear. With stopdown metering, I was mainly concerned about having to physically move my fingers to the aperture ring, after the focus is set. With this many megapixels, I wondered if the movement can cause negative impacts, especially in close distance from the subject, such as a portrait situation. I have never used any lens that requires me to manually stop down so it's all speculation. From what I have read so far, it doesn't seem to be as a big deal as I imagined it would be.

Series 6 is the type of filter size used for Summicron R 50, at least in the 2 cam and 3 cam version. I plan on using the R lenses for video as well so I am trying to figure out how I can adapt a standard thread ND filter (say 52mm) to Leica's Series 6. Is anyone has any tips it will be greatly appreciated.

BSEH

Hi BSEH

Did you find the Katzeye screens cause any metering problems?

Thanks!
Shoot with lenses from f/1.4 to f/2.8, i never had that problem, but depends on camera.

The D800 is not tested yet with Katzeye, but i really don't expect any problems - that problem is most common on entry-level cameras.

If any problems it's easy corrected on raw proces, with 1/3 - 2/3 stop EV exposure +/-.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,
Thank you so very much for posting these lovely images!
I am now certain I made the right decision to wait for the D800E.
You are absolutely correct in your description of the 50 cron.
I only have the 100mm Macro-Elmarit now and I will certainly pick-up a Leica 50mm for use with my 800E.
It is an exciting time now and being able to use these wonderful Leitz optics makes things really fun again.
All the best,
Mike
It really is fun - I am going to pick up some more R glass if I can, the D800/E seems to me to be quite an easy manual focus if you allow yourself a bit of DOF...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim

Sorry I wasn't clear. With stopdown metering, I was mainly concerned about having to physically move my fingers to the aperture ring, after the focus is set. With this many megapixels, I wondered if the movement can cause negative impacts, especially in close distance from the subject, such as a portrait situation. I have never used any lens that requires me to manually stop down so it's all speculation. From what I have read so far, it doesn't seem to be as a big deal as I imagined it would be.

Series 6 is the type of filter size used for Summicron R 50, at least in the 2 cam and 3 cam version. I plan on using the R lenses for video as well so I am trying to figure out how I can adapt a standard thread ND filter (say 52mm) to Leica's Series 6. Is anyone has any tips it will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Hubert - I have no problems with this but then I have been using manual aperture rings for years with the Leica M series. However, if you are shooting at wide open apertures you need to practice counting clicks on the aperture ring as you stop down after focus: on this lens, it's four clicks from F2 to F4 and I do it without moving the camera from my eye...

As for filters I am afraid I'm no expert... I haven't used one on this lens yet and would probably go no further than a polariser, UV or ND.

Hi Tim

You guys seem to be experts on Leica denomination. Can someone explain me whats the difference between 2 cam and 3 cam version and what is ROM ??
Thanks..
ACH

V

Vivek

You guys seem to be experts on Leica denomination. Can someone explain me whats the difference between 2 cam and 3 cam version and what is ROM ??
Thanks..
ACH
I am not and I only know that none of these designations matter while using these lenses on a non R camera*.

* R line is the Leica's orphaned reflex camera line. It was never really considered a "proper" Leica during its existence. Not much has changed after its demise either.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I am no expert either but the Cams are I think increasingly sophisticated ways of mechanically communicating lens with camera, the more recent ROM versions have a chip and electrical contacts for doing so electronically. AFAIK the glass is roughly analogous in performance and quality with the M line designations. But as Vivek says, there's no effective difference when adapted to Nikon though I think Leitax might make a chip adaptor add-on that allows more EXIF to be sent over. Otherwise, lens designs changed over time and as is usually the case with Leica, there are people who preferred the old ones over the newer or vice versa for particular 'look'...

bensonga

* R line.....It was never really considered a "proper" Leica during its existence. Not much has changed after its demise either.
I think there are many Leica R owners who would strongly disagree.

Personally, I think the rangefinder bias of some Leica owners (those who might declare that a reflex Leica is not a "proper" Leica) is rubbish.

To those folks, I suppose the "S" line is not a proper Leica either. Thankfully, Leica has seen fit to broaden it's base beyond the rangefinder world. I only wish they had continued development of the R series. I would love to buy a 36mp Leica R10 today and use all of my Leica R lenses on both a film and digital Leica R body.

Despite Leica's ill advised decision to abandon the R line, if there is one thing that has always set Leica apart, it's their lenses (whether M, R or S).

The continued appeal of Leica R lenses (such as Tim's 50mm Summicron) for use on non-Leica cameras is a testament to their enduring value.

Gary

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

BSEH

Thanks..
ACH
The purpose whit cam is to communicate the aperture information to the camera body.

2 cam versions is due to system change and maintain backward compatibility with older Leicaflex cameras, new lenses were released with two cams.

3 cam was because the new camera(R series designed in collaboration with Minolta) had auto exposure features, this meant adding another cam, bringing the total to three.

In the early 1990's, Leica decided to embed a ROM chip into each lens, to communicate electronically with the camera body, for flash control and exif data.

From the 1 cam to the ROM the lenses is optically identical. Some says newer and better coating on the ROM ver , other say it's :chug:.

Leica don't tell, so who really know what is the truth. I guess it's the same as Zeiss T* coating, newer lens has better coating due to better technique handling the coating ? :lecture:

But i really don't know :grin:

BSEH

I think there are many Leica R owners who would strongly disagree.

Personally, I think the rangefinder bias of some Leica owners (those who might declare that a reflex Leica is not a "proper" Leica) is rubbish.

To those folks, I suppose the "S" line is not a proper Leica either. Thankfully, L
Gary
+1

BSEH

So they are good glasses to work with no matter what denomination.
There is no difference between cam versions, only if you want to use it on an original camera.

When you convert it to the Nikon F, you remove Cam's and ROM electrodes anyway. And it's the same optical form, so there's only coating theories back.

Was Leica better to coat their lenses in 1986 than they were in 1964? Yeah sure, but hundreds or thousands of dollars worth? I don't think so.