The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E: I found the moire - big time!

tashley

Subscriber Member
OK, so I have taken maybe thirty shots of the facade of this building in the past two days with a variety of lenses, distances etc and this is the first shot with the D800E that has shown any moire despite my attempts at provoking it - but boy is it strong! You can just about spot it in review mode on the back of the camera so if you know it's a risk you can look for it and maybe take corrective action at the shooting stage..

Full scene (with 50 Cron R at about F5.6) then some 100% crops...

Crop from LR default. Ouch!

Crop from C1 defaults but with both moire reduction sliders full to the right:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Crop from Capture NX defaults (no extra sharpening) with no moire removal:

NX with no sharpening, Medium moire removal:

NX with full sharpening and medium moire removal:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey consider yourself lucky you hit focus and you have a sharp lens. LOL

I just bought a 90mm tech lens because it had moire in it. Seriously it told me it was one sharp lens. LOL

johnnygoesdigital

Tim,

The NX with sharpening / med. moire removal, does an acceptable post edit, considering the crop at this focal length. I'm curious how it does with a sheer fabric or silk, or even bird feathers at a more normal or portrait size lens.

danielmoore

Tim, to clarify, when you say 'You can just about spot it in review mode', this refers to fit screen review or fully zoomed in review?

ustein

Contributing Editor
You also may get the moire from the D800. Have seen enough moire from cameras with AA filter too.

V

Vivek

It is impressive. If you can see moire under what appears to be heavy overcast skies, I can only imagine how much more it would be under contrasty lighting. :)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hey consider yourself lucky you hit focus and you have a sharp lens. LOL

I just bought a 90mm tech lens because it had moire in it. Seriously it told me it was one sharp lens. LOL
I know! To be honest I don't think I can be bothered to worry about this: I was trying to make it happen and this sort of subject is prime territory - it took an exact combination of distance and a very sharp lens to do it and worst case, I'd develop one in NX2 and one in C1 and blend their layers in PS. It aint gonna happen often!

tashley

Subscriber Member
It is impressive. If you can see moire under what appears to be heavy overcast skies, I can only imagine how much more it would be under contrasty lighting. :)
Ah but you only see a rainbow when it's raining and sunny at the same time!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,

The NX with sharpening / med. moire removal, does an acceptable post edit, considering the crop at this focal length. I'm curious how it does with a sheer fabric or silk, or even bird feathers at a more normal or portrait size lens.

I've tried quite hard on all of the above subjects and failed to make it happen: I think it requires a very specific interference of pixel and subject frequency and I think that's gonna be quite.... infrequent!

Tim, how do you achieve critical focus with manual lenses?
Focus confirmation, live view, or is it possible to directly use the viewfinder.
Your images all seem perfectly focused.

"and I think that's gonna be quite.... infrequent!"

.....unless you do aerials:there is always a damned roof with the right pattern at the right
distance.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, how do you achieve critical focus with manual lenses?
Focus confirmation, live view, or is it possible to directly use the viewfinder.
Your images all seem perfectly focused.

Hi Sergio,

I just got to know the lens by trial and error, I don't have a tripod with me so these are all using my eye and the focus confirmation dot, plus a sense of the distribution of depth of field at various apertures... so far it's a good hit rate, probably better than AF...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think it requires a very specific interference of pixel and subject frequency and I think that's gonna be quite.... infrequent!
It does and it will be infrequent, but I can guarantee it will rear it's ugly head at the most inopportune times --it is Sir Ansel Murphy at work.

Stefan Steib

I have done a test yesterday on the PCP Show in Frankfurt where I happened to have my booth beneath Nikon´s. I used our Hartblei 4/40 IF TS on the D800E. I will link to full resolution JPG´s on my server, done with Lightroom 4.1 Beta (I have to say this new version really looks good to me , mostly it´s F_A_S_T !) The first shot _DSC5245.jpg is a closeup that shows what happens when you go to fabric with a really sharp lens (the Zeiss datasheet for our lens states 200 LPmm), we have a heavy Moiree here- I did NOT use any moiree correction to make it obvious. Aperture was f11.
The second image _DSC5250.jpg was shot a bit more backwards to show the scene, there you can also see the original colors of the fabric without moiree.

The settings for the JPG´s are: Quality 100 %/300 dpi/ProPhotoRGB.
I tried to get the "medium Format look" that some people describe with some finetuning, both images use the exact same sharpness and other settings.

http://www.hcam.de/downloads/_DSC5245.jpg
http://www.hcam.de/downloads/_DSC5250.jpg

In case it is of interest I can also put up the full NEF´s to my server.

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan