The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D600

V

Vivek

It would be interesting to see the high ISO performance of this compared to the D800.

One would expect it to be better.;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No internal AF motor it says -- which would be stupid and make it a non-starter for me. Assuming it has an internal AF motor and better high ISO than the D800, it becomes a GREAT 2nd body option :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Sounds like the entry level FX camera I was waiting for, the D700 successor.

How silly they never reveal at least a short term road map ... :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

No internal AF motor it says -- which would be stupid and make it a non-starter for me. Assuming it has an internal AF motor and better high ISO than the D800, it becomes a GREAT 2nd body option :)
It is time that Nikon obsoleted the screw focus lenses. What a better way to do it than come up with a cheap FF camera!

With new lenses (28/1.8 AFS, for example) being released, it does not seem to be a problem.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It is time that Nikon obsoleted the screw focus lenses. What a better way to do it than come up with a cheap FF camera!

With new lenses (28/1.8 AFS, for example) being released, it does not seem to be a problem.
+1

should have happened long time ago!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If it's relatively compact, it will be a fantastic travel camera with the 28, 50, 85mm f/1.8 AF-S trio. Part of the low price would probably also be using an existing sensor as basis, which would mean the one from the D3X, maybe even a simplified version (lower frame rate, the A850 version?).

Steen, not having a road map seems to have been very successful, at least for Nikon. They did get your money for the D800, didn't they :ROTFL:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>No internal AF motor it says -- which would be stupid and make it a non-starter for me.

What lenses do you want to use that have AF but are not AF-S?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
>No internal AF motor it says -- which would be stupid and make it a non-starter for me.

If I look at myself, I would have to replace the 50 and 85mm f/1.8. Although that's not a fortune, it would cover part of the distance up to the D800. For those with more expensive AF and AF D lenses, it may soon become rather costly, and some lenses (105, 135 and 180) don't even have an AF-S equivalent.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

My 105DC for one ---

But the point is valid -- for the "savings" I could buy an 85G...

D&A

I'm probably in the minority here and of course eliminating the ability of using screw driven lenses helps in keeping costs down in this body....but I personally would desire that they don't eliminate this feature. As Jack mentioned, the DC lenses couldn't be used in their AF mode and if one actually uses the DC feature along with AF, the AF 85mm lenses are not a substitute, except for being a moderate focal length telephoto. Obviously image characteristics of both are different. Additionally many interesting legacy or "near legacy" and older lenses, including some 3rd party ones which don't have AF-S equivalents could only be used in MF. Admittedly, some of these lenses are not the most common or often used lenses but many are used and/or cherished by their users. Although manual focus could be employed, the convenience of using AF is certainly desireable. Except for the possible cost increase, having screw driven drive ability kept in a body, certainly doesn't reduce the capability of the body in any way. In other words, something to be gained and absolutely nothing lost in the camera body feature set.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

The 105 and the 135DC are, though namesake AF, need manual adjustments for the blur effect. They might as well could be manual focus lenses just like the PC/PC-E Nikkors.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have you been shooting your 105DC on D800 ? any picture here if you have ? and if, how does it perform - thanks..:)
Yes, posted two with the 105DC earlier in the D800 glass thread, one showing bokeh, the other showing zeroed (sharp) performance.

~~

Vivek, I use AF on my DC all the time, even with two clicks of right soft dialed in -- the focus point itself does not change except at very close distances (like under 1 m). Set up that way, it works great on the D800. So yes, I'd prefer NOT losing that feature.

~~

Dave, well said. But I understand Nikon's perspective.

V

Vivek

Yes, posted two with the 105DC earlier in the D800 glass thread, one showing bokeh, the other showing zeroed (sharp) performance.

~~

Vivek, I use AF on my DC all the time, even with two clicks of right soft dialed in -- the focus point itself does not change except at very close distances (like under 1 m). Set up that way, it works great on the D800. So yes, I'd prefer NOT losing that feature.

~~

Dave, well said. But I understand Nikon's perspective.
I will take a look at the samples you posted. Thanks.

Interesting way to use the DC Nikkor, Jack. :)