The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Morning with the D800

ustein

Contributing Editor
This morning I wanted to photograph at a succulent Show in San Juan Bautista (10 miles from home). Because I could not tale a big bag i took kind of a minimal set for today:

- D800
- 50mm f/1.8G
- 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro
- 24-120mm f/4 VR

I planned a few stops on my way. The shots are in the order I took them (all handheld)

24-120mm

105mm Micro

50mm (actually from tripod for some HDR tests)

105mm Micro. There would be no way to use a tripod at the show so I shot all at f/8 (DOF is tricky) handheld.

Dan Bellyk

Very Uwe and sharp, as I sit and look at these I am debating on ordering the D800E, just wondering how much of a difference it will make as these look tac sharp and detailed.

Dan

ustein

Contributing Editor
>If you're shooting handheld then I doubt that you'll see any difference whatsoever.

Why that (assuming higher shutter speeds)?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
>If you're shooting handheld then I doubt that you'll see any difference whatsoever.

Why that (assuming higher shutter speeds)?
Uwe, you answered your own question ... and I'll wager that most folks shooting handheld will not shoot at 2x or 3x focal length speeds and then will wonder why they aren't getting the pixel-peeping sharpness that they expect.

Just saying ... :rolleyes:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
OT: I agree with Graham -- the difference is so tiny, at least given what we've seen so far to date from the E, that it will require optimal lenses at optimal apertures using optimal techniques to reliably "show" the 'advantages' in an image.

And back to topic: yes, VERY nice collection Uwe!

PS: Stay tuned folks! Uwe, Guy and I are working up a D800 processing challenge of sorts -- we'll present a raw file for folks to download and process however they see fit, and then post their results with an explanation of how, what and why they achieved their result. Should be a new thread for it online by mid-morning tomorrow!

Have a great day!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm not saying that the potential isn't there for acuity etc but I stand by what I said ...
OK, was responding to what you originally said. The qualified version, I agree fully with: I reckon with no VR you need at least two x in horizontal and three x in vertical with no grip...

tashley

Subscriber Member
OT: I agree with Graham -- the difference is so tiny, at least given what we've seen so far to date from the E, that it will require optimal lenses at optimal apertures using optimal techniques to reliably "show" the 'advantages' in an image.

And back to topic: yes, VERY nice collection Uwe!

PS: Stay tuned folks! Uwe, Guy and I are working up a D800 processing challenge of sorts -- we'll present a raw file for folks to download and process however they see fit, and then post their results with an explanation of how, what and why they achieved their result. Should be a new thread for it online by mid-morning tomorrow!

Have a great day!
Yup, great shots Uwe - I get blasé about your shots cos they're all so good!

Jack, that challenge sounds like fun... I have often thought that'd be a great idea.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I have often thought that'd be a great idea.

I had such challenges in the early days of Digital Outback Photo. I think the D800 and other new cameras really challenge all our processing at times. This is about sharing processing ideas and learning.

gurtch

sounds like my old PSA Camera Club days (I'm 75). A master printer/exhibitor would loan a B&w negative to a group. Each would make a 16"x20" from that neg, and put it in a mailing case with details on how he or she printed it. It would then be sent on to the next person (snail mail, of course), and the process until all in the group had made sprint, and returned to the master printer. He would then include hissing with written comments on all the other prints, and send them all out again, so all could see every O'Neill interpretation of a single. No two were ever alike!
GREAT idea,,,
Dave in NJ

gurtch

excuse the typos...on vacation using an iPad, and the damn thing interprets what I type if it does not recognize it as an every day thing, or something I previously corrected. My kid brother and wife Share the name O'Neill, so for some reason it stuck that name in my text!
dave