The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Someone had to do it

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Been doing these tests a lot myself where the Nikon lacks is mid tone contrast. Try a little clarity on the Nikon when your processing. Better yet apply it at 100 percent and watch it being applied . I found about 15 to be pretty nice. And yes it's a little tough telling them apart. The big difference right now is the tech cam just kills the Nikon in usage as the Nikons can't get close on the wide end of the world with shift, swing and tilt. So the beauty for me is having both.

Of course the Nikon smokes the tech cam in other areas. Freaking can't win need both systems. Lol
On the nikon forums it is generally understood that Nikon maps the tones to emphasize picking up detail in the shadows . This comes at the expense of compressing the midtones . This of course gives the Nikon files better high ISO performance at the expense of mid tone separation . This can be seen in any situation where Nikon shares a sensor with Sony . Same sensor different in camera processing .

fotografz

On the nikon forums it is generally understood that Nikon maps the tones to emphasize picking up detail in the shadows . This comes at the expense of compressing the midtones . This of course gives the Nikon files better high ISO performance at the expense of mid tone separation . This can be seen in any situation where Nikon shares a sensor with Sony . Same sensor different in camera processing .
I agree, having used the 24 meg D3X and A900 side-by-side with their respective 24-70 lenses. Midtone response and subsequent color separation of the Sony was clearly better than the Nikon in most shooting conditions, but at the expense of the higher ISO performance where the D3X smoked the Sony. The 24 meg A99 improved the ISO performance by around 1 to 2 stops but managed to keep the midtone response fairly consistent with the A900 (I shoot both together at weddings)

It'll be interesting to see how Sony will handle the A7R in camera processing verses the D800. I also suspect the A99 replacement will be 36 meg or greater.

- Marc