The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E with 24mm PC-E

I know it is shift only, but has anyone used the Super Angulon 28 (which comes in Nikon mount)? And compared it to the Nikon 24PC-E?
I've used both, but not compared in any rigorous way. My impression is that th Schneider is better with a little bit of shift (5mm or less) and the Nikon is better with a lot of shift. Although Neither is great with a lot of shift.

T

tfmphotographics

Ive been using the Nikon PC-E 24mm with a D200 for a couple of years
and it has performed great...even at high rise and fall...
To be honest i have got some good results with the D800 as with this shot here
Overall i have not been blown away by this on the D800 yet but have not got off to the best start with the camera due to back focusing probs and not great image sharpness...
I have had one D800 returned and callibrated from Nikon and am currently testing the second one...

Tektrader

I sold the 24 PC-e I had. It was SOFT and the edges where fairly ordinary. I pondered what to do for a while.

Then bought a used 28/3.5 PC lens. It hasnt arrived yet. has anyone got an idea what I am in for? I usually only use it for architectural and some stitched landscapes.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I used the 28 and 35 Nikkor PC lenses several years back. On the 35's it really didn't matter much which version, they were all decent, not exceptional. On the 28's, the latest model was clearly superior to the earlier one -- again, I would say they were competent, not exceptional. Note they do not tilt, only shift. IIRC, mine worked best at f8/f11.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Update: Got my pre-owned, verified good-copy 24 PC-E late on Friday, did some quick tests with it yesterday. Simple net is that it is a very good copy. It is sharp corner to corner at f5.6, 8 and even 11 though diffraction is visible as early as f8. It performs better at closer focusing distances, or more accurately what I would call normal subject distances for this type of lens, say the 3 to 15 meter range. In this range, the lens can keep up with the sensor almost fully corner to corner when zeroed. As distances increase beyond 15 m, resolution falls off a little and while it's visible at 100% view, for all intents will be immaterial even for a large print. On a full horizontal shift, the last 4mm or so of the corners are mushy, but good enough for sky or irrelevant foreground, just don't expect to pull usable textures from there. I need to test more vertical shifting of a landscape orientation image, but it appears that is fully usable on this lens. Lens seems well-centered, perhaps a tad better on the RH edge than the left when fully shifted. Lens has some curvature which is expected and actually welcomed by me for most of my uses for this lens. Use note on tilts, a little goes a long way with a lens this short -- in most typical cases, 1 or 2 degrees will be all you ever use. In fact, I would reco that Nikon go to a finer adjustment design for the future version that would allow an easy input of a quarter or half degree of tilt. So at the end of the day I'm a happy camper with a very usable and welcome lens added to my stable, but the reality remains Nikon needs to refresh it for their newest sensors.

And please Nikon, bring on a fresh 17 PC-E!!!

Paul2660

Jack, does yours have the tilt and swing in the same plane? It's my understanding that Nikon can switch this like on the old Canon's.

Paul

ausemmao

Jack, does yours have the tilt and swing in the same plane? It's my understanding that Nikon can switch this like on the old Canon's.

Paul
They can, and when they do, if you're happy unscrewing things you can do the adjustment yourself afterwards as they put in a longer ribbon cable. I haven't tried opening mine myself yet though.

D&A

I'd have to go back and look, but with some focal length Nikon T/S lenses, as just mentioned, you can change the tilt and swing "plane" yourself, since the ribbon cable is long enough..but with one in particular (I believe it's the 24mm), a longer cable has to first be installed by Nikon.

Dave (D&A)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Paul
Mine is set up factory (perpendicular) and I have not opened it up to see if I can swap it to parallel.

Jack,

Why you are investing in 24 PC-E when you have technical camera with close to same focal length? Just asking.

Subrata

danielmoore

For those so inclined, there's no surprise jack-in-the-box inside the 24PCE, just a ribbon cable once the screws are removed. I was reluctant until Roger at lens rentals suggested I look inside during my rental with aperture recognition trouble. Turned out to be a simple fix.