The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Processing Challenge: Nikon D800 file

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So on the above:

RPP

Film Simulation Curve with slight increase in exposure, contrast and local contrast...minimal black point adjustment...decreased what seemed to be a slight magenta cast in the trees/roof.

LR

Temp +4 Contrast +8
Shadows/Blacks -6/-8
Clarity/Vibrance +4
Minimally Sharpened with small radius, detail and edge mask 24/0.7/64/22

Rotate 1.8

PS

Levels adjustment to slightly darken mid tones 0.97

Crop 2x3 format deleting Left Sided fence but maximum size otherwise.

Enough already.

Bob

BenH

Opened in LR4. Used adjustment brush on grass to reduce exposure, adjusted highlights then sent to OnOne Perfect Effects. There I made slight local contrast adjustment using the Tone Enhancer sliders. Sent to Photoshop to crop, straighten, some burn and dodge including burning the lower right corner of the roof, then converted to black and white in Silver Effects Pro 2.

docmoore

So here is a NIK SEFEX Conversion to BW

And were I to print: This is BW Conversion with 24% opacity

Bob

G

GregP

New guy here. I appreciate you allowing me to play along.

Edited in Lightroom 4.

Camera neutral, rotate +1.4, sharpening 25, radius 0.7, Luminance NR 20, exposure -19, contrast +60, highlights -100, shadows +75, blacks -20, clarity +80, vibrance +10, Curves adjustments, and color adjustments. Some light brush work burning and local sharpening.

I hope I didn't butcher this up too bad.

docmoore

Bob, can you share the Silver Efex Preset? SEP 2?
No preset...cook to desired temp....

This was a bit of increase in exposure and contrast...yellow filter at about 60% strength.

I then apply the appropriate Film type depending upon the file...this was Kodak Pan 32 X ... no change in grain or contrast curve...

Applied a tone of selenium #4 but decreased strength to 12....

Vignette of -4

Flatten and then adjust contrast and curves to desired affect.

Every file is a bit different so no saved presets...just work it to desired level.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

Uwe,

Love your site and pics...used to drive Pacheco Pass between Fresno and Monterey ... 18 years worth of looking at the Oaks on the hills near Hollister...brings back great memories.

On the SEFEX...I usually use Coffee or Selenium tones at low levels...then contrast and levels to effect.

Bob

archivue

Not impress by the file potential... and quickly process

Process in C1

alignement tool

curve hight contrast film
Color temp
underexpose
highlight recovery
+ clarity
+ luminosity... but not enough... i've didn't process it on my main computer and Eizo screen...

but i'm not use to DSLR files anymore, i've spend 3 years with only leaf files !

xpixel

You can also use the Photoshop CS6 trial and the camera raw plugin 6.7 to open the D800 raw files... :D

PeterL

A fun challenge :). Here is my take. Processed entirely in C1 6.4, output resize in CS5:

Exposure up: 0.2
Levels Black point: 5
Levels White point: 249
Levels Midtone point: -0.35
Curve: "Mid tone - darker" preset
Rotation: 1.37
Sharpening: 250/0.6/2.0
B/W conversion - Color sensitivity:
Yellow: -44
Green: -44
Cyan: -80
Blue: -80
Split Tones: Blue - Brown 1

Resized in CS5 with Jack's Web action (Over 20 MB - 1200)

100% crop

Shashin

I didn't understand the light in this image until I opened it. Processed in ARC. Used curve adjustment, sharping at 1 pixel at 50, and some touches in hue/saturation/luminance panel giving a little more saturation to red/orange and green with changes to luminance in the greens. And then a touch of sharpening in photoshop.

crs:SaturationAdjustmentRed="+8"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentOrange="+12"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentYellow="0"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentGreen="+7"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentAqua="0"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentBlue="+8"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentPurple="0"
crs:SaturationAdjustmentMagenta="0"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentRed="0"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentOrange="0"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentYellow="-11"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentGreen="-12"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentAqua="0"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentBlue="0"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentPurple="0"
crs:LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta="0"
And a B&W using the channel mixer in ACR for fun.

BenH

Really interesting to see the various ways the image is being processed by everyone.

My color version opened in ACR 6.7

Sent to OnOne Perfect Effects. Used the Tone Enhancer to enhance detail. Added presets and painted in or out, with masking brush, to accomplish desired effect. Sorry I cannot provide more detail on workflow used. I went through a whole lot of trial and error without taking notes.

Sent to Photoshop. Cropped and Straightened. Burned and dodged. Adjusted color, tonality, contrast and saturation through layer masking and brushing in where needed. Again, no notes and I can't remember all the steps.

Amin

Fun challenge! Here's my 2-minute version:

Steps:
  1. Processed to TIFF using default Lightroom settings except Exposure set to -0.5
  2. Opened in Photoshop CS5 and applied Alien Skin Exposure Ektochrome 100GX film simulation
  3. Noise reduction in Dfine using automatic settings
  4. Smart Sharpen radius 0.4 amount 70%

Shashin

This is fun. Going away from a neutral/natural type look to a richer look. And just for fun, the drought/fall look.