The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Processing Challenge: Nikon D800 file

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Converted to Lab color space and then the A channel is inverted in curves.

Thanks for sharing, not for me :)

Shashin

>Converted to Lab color space and then the A channel is inverted in curves.

Thanks for sharing, not for me :)
I have just started working in Lab and it is more than just the weird and whacky. It can get you out of some tricky mixed lighting situations fairly easily. Not a great image, but illustrative.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I couldn't resist... so I thought, well, it's very gray here right now and I'd love to be in warm sunny California, let's do a little bright fantasy.

I haven't executed it as well as I would if I had more time, especially the colour treatment, but here goes.

The process:

Import to LR4 with Camera Neutral and sharpening to 60, 1, 80 and 30 (the file is soft).

NR off altogether (with D800 sized files, NR is achieved by looking at the file at 50%!)
Lens correction at defaults.
Straighten.
WB 5200 +17
Exposure -0.1
Contrast +20
Black -11
Shadow -34
Clarity +22
Yellow Luminance -20
Green Luminance -20
Green Saturation +20

> Photoshop for cloning out of telegraph wire, yard junk right and OOF pole notice left.
> LR for...
Paint on an extreme balance of WB shifts with a local brush on the paintwork to change its colour. Then paint on some selective desaturation to some of the white frames and posts to compensate.

Looked a bit flat so

Green Luminance -67
Green Saturation +58

(might as well be cheesy if I'm going all out!)

-39 post-crop vignette
Contrast +19
Whites +27

Forgive me, everyone, for my multiple sins...

danielmoore

With a little less TV and a little less Coors, this place would probably be a little less decrepit. : O :watch:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This was interesting primarily because it reminded me how much information is lost when you aren't the one behind the camera at the moment of capture. Also, for all my hoops and loops, the PS version is only marginally "better" than what came straight out of C1.

I processed first in C1 with some white balance, 10 clarity, levels adjustment on a linear response curve. Then to PS CS5. A grab of the Layers panel gives some clues to the various steps.

Thanks for the opportunity to play with a D800 file!

Best,
Tim

Ben Rubinstein

My poor attempt:

Using ACR (process 2010) for pretty much everything including the custom B&W conversion, just some light tonality work in PS to give it some life, then my sepia reciepe from Silver Efex Pro 2 that I use on my project work. Have to admit, I processed it as I'm seeing things at the moment, with a more contemplative eye...