The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 v D800E, chapter 6

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to update this thread for posterity. Today my friend Steve stopped by with his D800E. We went out and shot locally with both cameras. We just finished reviewing the files. Obviously we shot an identical set of images with each camera using the exact same lenses and the same tripod for positional equality.

For a summary of my findings, the bottom line result was exactly what I concluded at the start of this thread using Rob's images -- the difference is incredibly minor when both files are processed optimally.

To add more meat to that if you're still reading, I will share Steve's comments as we processed identical images from both cameras side-by-side in C1 on my big monitor:

1) After initial import with all files at the same exact settings: Steve says, "You can clearly see the D800E is sharper." I reply, "Yes you can, but watch."

2) I then dial up sharpening on the D800 to ideal. Steve comments, "Okay, but the D800E still looks a little sharper." I reply, "Yes it does, but it's contrast and micro-contrast. Look at these shadow areas in both images and you can see that the D800 regular is more open and the D800E is more blocked." Steve, "Oh... Yes, I see that now. The shadows are more open and the DR is better on the D800."

3) Then I dial clarity up 20 points for the D800. I don't say anything, I just look at Steve which prompts him to stuff his face in the monitor with his reading cheaters on. After 10 seconds of study he says, "That's remarkable. You've just shown there was no reason for me to spend the extra money on the D800E." Then he adds, "It isn't going to be worth the extra hassle for me to deal with the moire!"

4) I say hold on and scroll to a diagonal wire in the upper part of the frame and zoom in. Again I just look at him. He replies," What?" I say, "Look closely and you can make out the twisted strands of the wire a little better in the D800E file." Steve, "What effective size print would this be?" Me, "Probably about 7 feet wide." Steve simply laughs.

5) He then says, "There's really no reason for this camera." I say, "I disagree and look at it a little differently. Most of us are going to own two of these bodies anyway, so there's no reason one shouldn't be an E." He replies, "What will you use it for that you wouldn't be comfortable using the D800 for?" I start to answer and pause... "Excellent question, I really don't know." Steve says, "I shoot mostly models, and the lack of moire on fabric is enough reason for me to prefer the regular D800." I have no argument to give him...

Cheers,

D&A

Jack, this is not A comment regarding the results you outlined but something I've in one way or another expressed previously as have others. Either Nikon designed the AA filter of the D800 so exceptionally well, as to almost match what some refer to as the AA filterless D800E....OR...they designed the filter array ( or whatever terminology one wants to refer it as) to not be truly a AA filterless camera, but mimics to a degree the partial effectiveness of having a weak AA filter as so to avoid significant appearance of moire.

That may be one reason it's so hard to provoke moire in the D800E. These are two schools of thought why both camera output are close, right out of the camera. My money is on the day when someone has their D800 modified so that the glass filter array is removed completely and then the D800E will be to a greater degree than present, sharper with evidence of resolving additional real world detail when compared to the D800. At the same time though I believe the D800 AA filter has been tuned, so that it is somewhat weaker an AA filter than we're used to seeing in previous Nikon DSLR'S"s.

It may be that both theories have some validity and that each has been modified/tuned to a degree, so that they are within close proximity of one another. Sort of close to meeting in the middle, so to speak.

David (D&A)

gustavo

Wanted to update this thread for posterity. Today my friend Steve stopped by with his D800E. We went out and shot locally with both cameras. We just finished reviewing the files. Obviously we shot an identical set of images with each camera using the exact same lenses and the same tripod for positional equality.

For a summary of my findings, the bottom line result was exactly what I concluded at the start of this thread using Rob's images -- the difference is incredibly minor when both files are processed optimally.

To add more meat to that if you're still reading, I will share Steve's comments as we processed identical images from both cameras side-by-side in C1 on my big monitor:

1) After initial import with all files at the same exact settings: Steve says, "You can clearly see the D800E is sharper." I reply, "Yes you can, but watch."

2) I then dial up sharpening on the D800 to ideal. Steve comments, "Okay, but the D800E still looks a little sharper." I reply, "Yes it does, but it's contrast and micro-contrast. Look at these shadow areas in both images and you can see that the D800 regular is more open and the D800E is more blocked." Steve, "Oh... Yes, I see that now. The shadows are more open and the DR is better on the D800."

3) Then I dial clarity up 20 points for the D800. I don't say anything, I just look at Steve which prompts him to stuff his face in the monitor with his reading cheaters on. After 10 seconds of study he says, "That's remarkable. You've just shown there was no reason for me to spend the extra money on the D800E." Then he adds, "It isn't going to be worth the extra hassle for me to deal with the moire!"

4) I say hold on and scroll to a diagonal wire in the upper part of the frame and zoom in. Again I just look at him. He replies," What?" I say, "Look closely and you can make out the twisted strands of the wire a little better in the D800E file." Steve, "What effective size print would this be?" Me, "Probably about 7 feet wide." Steve simply laughs.

5) He then says, "There's really no reason for this camera." I say, "I disagree and look at it a little differently. Most of us are going to own two of these bodies anyway, so there's no reason one shouldn't be an E." He replies, "What will you use it for that you wouldn't be comfortable using the D800 for?" I start to answer and pause... "Excellent question, I really don't know." Steve says, "I shoot mostly models, and the lack of moire on fabric is enough reason for me to prefer the regular D800." I have no argument to give him...

Cheers,
Guy, I`m near to change my d800e preorder for a d800 preorder. Before that, please let me ask you –as your friend did-, after your tests, why are you going to buy a d800e body and no two d800 bodies?
Gustavo.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

I cannot disagree, but will offer my alternative component to your theory: First we agree that the OPLF in the regular D800 is probably as close to optimal as we've had in most any DSLR to date. The fact that we can get a shadowy hint of moire under ideal circumstances at times would support that theory. What I think is happening with the E is the simple fact that the pixels are so small, the lens itself becomes a quasi AA filter. (I note similar behavior from the IQ180 relative to teh P65+/IQ160.) We only see moire with the best lenses under ideal capture conditions. Get aperture too far removed from the f5.6 or faster aperture ideal, and moire disappears; change interference frequency marginally by moving closer or further away with the same lens and moire disappears. As such, I do not expect visibly improved performance if the existing self-cancelling OLPF assembly gets removed entirely. (Again, this postulate is drawn from my experience with the IQ180 which has no AA filter of any description.)

But I do hope somebody drums up the courage to try it and prove me wrong! :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, I`m near to change my d800e preorder for a d800 preorder. Before that, please let me ask you –as your friend did-, after your tests, why are you going to buy a d800e body and no two d800 bodies?
Gustavo.
First off I am Jack not Guy, though it's really easy to confuse us both online by our writing and in person by our looks. NOT!!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously to answer your question, I just took delivery of my second D800 non-E today. I will probably still get an E if one becomes available, but to be 100% honest, I really can not explain any logic behind it other than having one of each because they're slightly different.

If I were buying new and only buying ONE body, I *might* choose the D800E if I only ever shot landscape. I would DEFINITELY choose the regular D800 if I planned on photographing people at all.

gustavo

yes, sorry jack :):):).
I usually read both of you, maybe there was my error.
I will buy only one and I shot landscapes, architecture and people (portraits and rave parties). I should decide for one of both it was the d800e after your tests I`m not sure.

D&A

Jack I follow, understand and for the most part agree with all you expressed. Whether what you observed with the IQ180 can be extrapolated with regards to moire or lack thereof in the D800E, I honestly don't know. From what I hear from very reliable sources, Nikon was extremely hesitant early on in development to release a AA filterless camera along side a AA filter one due to their concerns for complaints from the greater general public at large with regards to moire. If these facts are correct, it possibly could be surmised that Nikon compromised and tuned the D800E to it's present form as opposed to a truly naked sensor with regards to no AA filter. What I also heard was that not all that long ago, sometime before the initial cameras were announced, they were close to a decision to make the D800E release only for the Japanese market.

***** hmmm, Jack, if I understand you correctly, if you get a hold of a D800E to go along with your present two D800 bodies, does that mean your D800E will be volunteered up for disassembly and modification...of course as part of the Getdpi educational tutorial series? :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

anGy

I could surely and easily believe all of those findings, Jack, but I'm confused as my findings (based on the downloaded raw files of Steen and on a D800E 5 minutes test) are the complete opposite.
The D800 files have that DSLR look I'm so glad the Phase don't have (lack of micro contrast and relief when zoomed in) and are not that exciting.
The D800E files are stunning when pixel peeped.
Of course there is way too many variables between the pictures I used for comparison but on the other side both the files from Steen and those I made are good starting points.
I know your point is certainly not to convince anybody but - with such statement - this of course will make people that have ordered a D800E think again.
It would be great - really great - if you could share both raw files with us so we could play with them and make our own conclusion based on our raw file development skills :too cool: :salute: :clap:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
yes, sorry jack :):):).
I usually read both of you, maybe there was my error.
I will buy only one and I shot landscapes, architecture and people (portraits and rave parties). I should decide for one of both it was the d800e after your tests I`m not sure.
Here is Jack's honest and most direct two cents on it: At the end of the day for 99.99% of whatever you shoot, regardless of what you shoot, the difference between the D800 and D800E cameras will NOT matter at all since you can tune either to look it's best identical to the other with a few keystrokes in the raw processor. I give the D800 regular a slight advantage for convenience, since you will not have to search and destroy moire in files containing people and clothing or fine architectural details. Next, all that is required for the D800 to look as sharp as the D800E is to increase capture sharpening a bit and increase clarity a bit, and you are done. In my case, I find the D800E needs NEGATIVE 10 points of clarity to look it's best and I find the D800 needs plus 10 points of clarity to look its best -- and with the added sharpening on the D800 and with the clarity adjustments, and with WB droppered from the same spot, the files look virtually identical after that. That's it in a nutshell, my honest .02.

PS: After I wrote the above I was talking it all out with Guy and I've decided I will NOT go for a D800E. My final logic was there is zero reason I should have two bodies that require different processing to get to the look I want when I can process both identically to get the look I want and at the same time have saved all the extra processing time...

PPS: The next body I am looking to is the D600 -- if it by any chance has superior high ISO due to fatter pixels, then I am all over it as my 3rd body :D

PPPS: If Nikon releases a 17PC-e on optical par with Canon's, and if they improve the 24 to match, OR IF A 3rd PARTY MANUFACTURER RELEASES QUALITY PC LENSES FOR NIKON, I am likely (not guaranteed, but likely) to sell off my remaining MF gear...

There you have it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I could surely and easily believe all of those findings, Jack, but I'm confused as my findings (based on the downloaded raw files of Steen and on a D800E 5 minutes test) are the complete opposite.
The D800 files have that DSLR look I'm so glad the Phase don't have (lack of micro contrast and relief when zoomed in) and are not that exciting.
The D800E files are stunning when pixel peeped.
Simple -- you clearly did NOT process them both out to their IDEAL settings, but rather processed them out to the SAME settings and compared them at that.

But if you want an E then by all means go for it! There is no downside other than a little more post effort when moire crops up. Just don't go for the E assuming you will gain a materially superior file over the non-E -- it will not be the case.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From what I can gather from Jack and talking to him and reading his writings is it basically comes down to micro contrast or more to the point. When your looking at a E files in comparision the clarity is already at a high level so your eye immediately is fooled into it is sharper which is natural but with that micro contrast or clarity comes slightly less DR and the shadows block up more. In other words its called PUNCH as the D800 non E is a smoother tonal range a little more DR as the contrast is less. You can get to the same E level but one must add clarity. Now here is the kicker which we all need to understand is Nikon/Phase on how they look at there customers. Phase is ONLY RAW and there customers will process in whatever there needs are , it will come in with even a very flat look to it which is actually DR range and operator will usually be adding bit of black level and clarity given the subject say like a landscape on a portrait we will not do that at all and if anything lower the clarity on a portrait. The D800 is acting in the same manor with a smoother range and flatter file. Now the D800 E model the clarity and contrast are already there at higher levels so in a portrait you maybe reducing this in great amounts both clarity and contrast. Now you ask why is Nikon doing this and really the answer is there customers and how they design and folks they are not tuning there files so much for RAW but out of the can jpegs. Most Nikon/Canon users will never shoot a raw image ever so they tune there cameras for out of the can pleasing look straight out of the camera. Companies like Phase/Hassy/leaf do not do that at all its all based on user raw processing and the files will be more flatter in look. Its up to us to make the needed adjustments given the subject.

Now what I am thinking and Dave alluded to it as well as Jack is there really is a AA filter on the E model but the setting is so low on it that the appearance out of the can is sharper with more contrast. What no one has done here is actually match the E model to the normal model and actually reduce clarity and contrast byline tuning it to the normal model , everyones is going from the D800 version to The E version and as Jack is reporting its simple a matter of adding sharpness and clarity to the file to match. Now take the E and reduce down and I bet it matches the D800.

Bottom line what Nikon is doing is saying we will make a normal camera D800 and have the AA filter at a point where it does filter out the moire and you get a nice even files across the board. Now we will give you a E version that might be right on the edge of just taking the AA filter out completely which in turn adds clarity to the file and micro contrast at a higher level out of the can. Thats really the big difference and now you have a different file out of the can based on Jpeg output and yes the raws will be different as well. But Nikon is basing all the design and algorithms on there biggest customers which is based on Jpeg. The jpegs have to be different and are by design and fine tuning the AA filters accordingly in each camera. So when you get to comparing raws it really comes down what Nikon did . Now you make adjustments accordingly to what you need and in this case by adding sharpness and clarity you can bring it to the same level as the E . Now by default by tuning the AA filter like they did in the E version it will appear and is a little better on micro contrast but the key here is will it become apparent in print and in this case maybe probably not ( or so very slight) and I did read somewhere you will notice it more in pixel peeping than you will in print.

I really think you need to understand what Nikon has done to each cam and how everything they do is based on Jpeg and end of the day they designed the E to have more PUNCH. This is what I am gathering. Given a MF shooter may understand this slightly better because our OEM's base everything by Raw and tune our backs for smoothness overall in both contrast, clarity and tonal range its up to us users to make those adjustments in our processing. Nikon designs opposite of that and is based more on out of the can Jpeg results since that is there higher user base.

We also as shooters need to getaway also from screen pixel peeping and rely more on whats coming off the printer as a more accurate comparison tool. I think there is a little disalusion on screen pixel peeping since in print these variances are not so gapping wide.

Now I could be wrong here but i do know 35mm OEMS and MF OEMS design differently for there sensors and that is something we have to think about.

Guy Mancuso

Simple -- you clearly did NOT process them both out to their IDEAL settings, but rather processed them out to the SAME settings and compared them at that.

But if you want an E then by all means go for it! There is no downside other than a little more post effort when moire crops up. Just don't go for the E assuming you will gain a materially superior file over the non-E -- it will not be the case.
I think this is the key if you want to match each other you will have to process diffrently . If you want the E to look better process them the same but you can take the D800 to the E level just with Clarity and sharpness. Heres the real issue in real world you won't be comparing cameras you will shoot one of them and in Raw processing making the most pleasing look to your eye , It really won't matter much which one your shooting. Here is when you take the science of it all and kick it out the door because you as the artist will determine what looks the best.

tashley

Subscriber Member
PPPS: If Nikon releases a 17PC-e on optical par with Canon's, and if they improve the 24 to match, OR IF A 3rd PARTY MANUFACTURER RELEASES QUALITY PC LENSES FOR NIKON, I am likely (not guaranteed, but likely) to sell off my remaining MF gear...

There you have it.
Exactly where I'm headed...

Guy Mancuso

Jack I follow, understand and for the most part agree with all you expressed. Whether what you observed with the IQ180 can be extrapolated with regards to moire or lack thereof in the D800E, I honestly don't know. From what I hear from very reliable sources, Nikon was extremely hesitant early on in development to release a AA filterless camera along side a AA filter one due to their concerns for complaints from the greater general public at large with regards to moire. If these facts are correct, it possibly could be surmised that Nikon compromised and tuned the D800E to it's present form as opposed to a truly naked sensor with regards to no AA filter. What I also heard was that not all that long ago, sometime before the initial cameras were announced, they were close to a decision to make the D800E release only for the Japanese market.

***** hmmm, Jack, if I understand you correctly, if you get a hold of a D800E to go along with your present two D800 bodies, does that mean your D800E will be volunteered up for disassembly and modification...of course as part of the Getdpi educational tutorial series? :)

Dave (D&A)
I think we should rip one apart but as you and Jack have been saying and what I believe is the case there still is a true AA filtering the E version. Nikon seems to just put it on the very edge in amount per say or level as to taking it completely out. Reason I say this is my best guess when we have seen folks hot rod there cams is the results are much stronger in sharpness and moire for that matter and the E seems to be just holding on to going over the edge , you will still get moire but there is still something there. Now I would love to be a fly on the wall given we ask these questions to the Nikon engineers. But my bet in some fashion they will say the same thing. And yes that was a non qualified scientific statement from me. :D

My famous out of that one is I'm just a shooter. LOL

In all seriousness it is nice shooting a 35mm again but this time getting some real results. Have to admit I'm having some fun.

gustavo

Here is Jack's honest and most direct two cents on it: At the end of the day for 99.99% of whatever you shoot, regardless of what you shoot, the difference between the D800 and D800E cameras will NOT matter at all since you can tune either to look it's best identical to the other with a few keystrokes in the raw processor. I give the D800 regular a slight advantage for convenience, since you will not have to search and destroy moire in files containing people and clothing or fine architectural details. Next, all that is required for the D800 to look as sharp as the D800E is to increase capture sharpening a bit and increase clarity a bit, and you are done. In my case, I find the D800E needs NEGATIVE 10 points of clarity to look it's best and I find the D800 needs plus 10 points of clarity to look its best -- and with the added sharpening on the D800 and with the clarity adjustments, and with WB droppered from the same spot, the files look virtually identical after that. That's it in a nutshell, my honest .02.

PS: After I wrote the above I was talking it all out with Guy and I've decided I will NOT go for a D800E. My final logic was there is zero reason I should have two bodies that require different processing to get to the look I want when I can process both identically to get the look I want and at the same time have saved all the extra processing time...

PPS: The next body I am looking to is the D600 -- if it by any chance has superior high ISO due to fatter pixels, then I am all over it as my 3rd body :D

There you have it.
thanks Im changing my preorder.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, I think you may be on to something with the jpeg comment -- clearly if you shoot in jpeg, then the D800E will generally produce a sharper image with more micro contrast as compared to the D800. :thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, what do you mean when you said "and with WB droppered from the same spot", thanks
In the raw processor, if you click the White Balance tool (WB dropper) on the same spot in the images, then the color is identical in both :)

Guy Mancuso

Guy, I think you may be on to something with the jpeg comment -- clearly if you shoot in jpeg, then the D800E will generally produce a sharper image with more micro contrast as compared to the D800. :thumbs:
Thanks bud and I think this is really how Nikon/canon design there cams. Bottom line they design for the fewest complaints and for results straight from the camera because the clientele is simply not going to shoot raw by a huge percentage. We all know most folks will shoot jpeg and nothing else. What your really seeing on all the forums is quite a small percentage of users compared to the what 30k units sold monthly on the D800 alone. That's a lot of folks usually just being soccer moms and such. There not shooting raw so Nikon is designing for them not us users who shoot raw and process. Heck you know how many wedding shooters alone just shoot jpeg only. Not sure I could actually capture that data but it's a ton.

And to add on your comment that's marketing 101 exactly how you phrased it and there selling point.