The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E vs Hasselblad unofficial unprofessional comparision

donaldt

so went out to test the newly bought D800E against my Hasselblad H3Dii-50
in short, the D800E was not even close to the Hasselblad when it comes to portrait
went out before sunset with a Profoto B2
under the same setting except the D800E being native ISO 100 and Hasselblad ISO 50
the Hasselblad gave a much more desirable skin tone and a much more 3D feel to it
it went back to the micro contrast that have been debated over and over again
the D800E even without the AA filter still gives a much flatter feel overall
there is highlight and there is shadow, but its what between them that makes all the difference

however if all you are after is detail, the 36MP is holding up very well comparing to my 50MP back

so if you already have medium format, stick with it, if you dont, be happy with the D800 its still great

sorry no photos to show because the model was my girlfriend

johnnygoesdigital

That's interesting, what lens did you use for portraits? There have been reviews that have made that distinction too. I don't know the dimensions of the H3DII/50, but i'm sure there's a nicer, more shallow DOF from the MFD, that might add to the 3D effect. Also, with my H models and M9, I've never found moire, only some small color artifacts in shiny areas.

For me, the D800 is kinda of like a Swiss Army knife of cameras, good for most applications, but MFD is best for 3D.

FredBGG

Not Available
What lenses did you use? And what f stpos for each lens?

Also what software did you use for the processing?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe we don't want to see. Lol

I'm just joking . Hungover a little here. 3 days of golf really makes you wonder if anything is pretty again. Lol

donaldt

I was a good boy and listened to Nikon advise to use a Nano Coated 24-70
but I am looking to try other lenses like the 200 f2 (mine is without N coating) and other older lenses like Angenieux 180 f2.3
however I think the better lens will certainly give a more 3D feel to it but the change from highlight to shadow is just not the same
bigger is still better

perhpas I should go shoot a few more pictures to show when I have time

Lee Love

I really love the hassy but lets be honest. If all you are getting is "micro contrast" for 7 times your investment then the D800 wins hands down.

Let me be clear, I like shooting with MF for a number of reasons. But, this kind of comparison is like comparing a Ferrari to a Camero and saying the Ferrari wins because it has 3 more layers of clear coat paint.

An H4D-40 body @ $17,995 vs a Nikon D800e @ $3,300 better give a working (business owner) photographer a hell of a lot more than "micro contrast".

Frankly I am concerned for the future of MF market. It seems as MF owners all we keep getting are new fancy touch screens and bells and whistles while the 35mm companies are making dramatic leaps in IQ and better and better ISO performance. With 14 stops of dynamic range and iso 6400 (not at the same time of course) its only another 24-36 months and this micro contrast advantage will be disappear as well.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Frankly I am concerned for the future of MF market. It seems as MF owners all we keep getting are new fancy touch screens and bells and whistles while the 35mm companies are making dramatic leaps in IQ and better and better ISO performance. With 14 stops of dynamic range and iso 6400 (not at the same time of course) its only another 24-36 months and this micro contrast advantage will be disappear as well.
Frankly, if and when I see the IQ I'm looking for, I'll be all for jumping back into the 35mm world. Maybe it'll be 24-36 months ... maybe not. In the meanwhile, however, I can have what I currently see in MF ... today. So I'm committed to it.

Some folks want to push aside the whole micro contrast difference, but for me, that's why I went in the MF direction. There is a flatness to D800 files that leaves me ho-hum (I shot with a D3 for over a year so there is on prejudice against 35mm or Nikon.) The D3 helped me complete jobs for clients, but when I look back on the images, I'm left with a feeling of ambivalence compared to the images I've shot with MF gear.

FredBGG

Not Available
I always find it a bit funny that when it comes to 35mm DSLR vs MF Digital comparisons there are nearly never images to back them up. This is because the difference has pretty much fizzled away.

Same thing goes for a lens test comparison that was posted on mamiya's website. All sorts of claims were made about mamiya superiority over Hasselblad H (Fuji) lenses, but no images were posted to support those claims. What was really funny was that it was claimed to be an independent study while the author of the study had consultant for mamiya USA on his linkedin resume...

tjv

What lens did you use on the 'Blad? Did I miss that part? I might also suggest that the Nikon 24-70mm G, while better than the Canon MKI equivalent, is in my opinion pretty average, especially on the extreme end of the range.

I have not used the Hasselblad H system, but I understand that the zooms are very good, especially the 35–90mm, although it's considerably slower than the Nikon at f4-5.6.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
And whose set of eyes are going to be the judge of those comparisons? Some see more there and some not so much. I'd love to reduce my gear overhead, I just haven't seen what I'm looking for. So far, I've mostly seen stopped down shots of landscapes. That's great for the tech camera crowd, but I'd like to how shallow depth of field and portraits look.

I'm interested in seeing some of your shots with the camera, Fred. You have a certain aesthetic you are looking to achieve, especially as it is influenced by your work with MF.

torger

I too find it a bit frustrating that the claimed tonal range 3D-ness etc superiority of the MF systems is never demonstrated in pictures... I recently got an MF system myself (for different reasons than "dimensionality and clarity") and I've tried to see something special other than superior resolution, but I can't really see it. But then again I shoot landscapes, not portraits.

It would be really interesting to get to see image A from a DSLR and B from a MF system of the same scene (probably a short DOF portrait, it seems that is were the MF shines the most, except for the resolution part that is) and someone that points out which things that are better in the MF picture.

It sometimes feels like back in my audiophile days when people claimed to hear very large difference between different (superexpensive) cables, and I didn't hear a thing different... I'm not saying that differences don't exist but it would be nice to know if it is the kind of differences similar to that audiophile situation, that is only a small set of people can see it...

Last edited:

rayyan

so went out to test the newly bought D800E against my Hasselblad H3Dii-50
in short, the D800E was not even close to the Hasselblad when it comes to portrait
Thank you for your observations.

2008: Hasselblad H3Dii-50: Price US$ 39,995.00

2012: Nikon D800/D800E : Price: US$3000/3200..( rounded figures ).

2012: Hasselblad H3Dii-50, 50 mp sensor maker in bankcruptcy.

I am sure the Hasselblad H3Dii-50 takes very good portraits.

Enjoy.

fotografz

I really love the hassy but lets be honest. If all you are getting is "micro contrast" for 7 times your investment then the D800 wins hands down.

Let me be clear, I like shooting with MF for a number of reasons. But, this kind of comparison is like comparing a Ferrari to a Camero and saying the Ferrari wins because it has 3 more layers of clear coat paint.

An H4D-40 body @ $17,995 vs a Nikon D800e @ $3,300 better give a working (business owner) photographer a hell of a lot more than "micro contrast".

Okay, I lied. :) Probably shouldn't but I will ...

There is more than Micro Contrast. That you can't see the difference, doesn't mean others can't.

I do not equate more meg with Image Qualities ... Image Qualities are a function of an entire imaging chain, not just a higher res. sensor.

Each one of these systems has a signature look and feel to some degree or another. 3rd party lenses, and post work may mitigate that, but you don't suddenly alter the over-all signature in post without an enormous effort that varies form one shooting circumstance to the next. That is one reason I sold my Nikon D3X ... way too much work to reach its potential ... a look I was after that I could get immediately with a Sony A900 sporting the same meg count.

After working with just about every 35mm system out there, at length, for 10s of thousands of shots each, I'm no longer so arrogant as to think I can alter the basic signature with superior post skills, like I once did. Canon looks like Canon, Nikon like Nikon, and so forth.

So, we each select the imaging aesthetic that appeals to our eye ... if someone like Fred likes the aesthetic of the D800 and large format film then that's his path ... and he's willing to pay the price in time and effort to work with LG format film to get it.

So far, I do not like the aesthetic presented by the D800, and see a dramatic difference in image qualities compared to MFD. I can't be definitive about that since I haven't shot with one at any length. However, playing around with large files provided hasn't changed my opinion, and reinforces my learning curve regarding signature look. To be clear, I am not just ambivalent about it, I REALLY do not like the look and feel ... which would dismay me if I rushed to pay $15K+ for the D800 system elements I'd need. Value is not just a function of numbers, it is one of satisfaction in the results. So, buying 6 D800s to 1 H4D/40 is irrelevant.

The often quoted "80% to 90% of MFD" buzz word seems odd to me. First off, I don't buy it because it is an empirical number trying to measure an aesthetic human response. Using the same reckoning and applying my own criteria, I'd place the D800 aesthetic at about 1/2 that of my S2 if even that ... miles apart if compared to my H4D/60 which delivers even more of that over-all MF look and feel than the S2 does.

In short, if someone like Fred finds his creative needs met with his path, nothing anyone says will alter that creative opinion. I'm no different.

It all is what makes photography so intriguing. Personal, human reactions color our preferences as we struggle to express ourselves, and NO ONE ELSE is seeing through my eyes except me. So, I don't care if I'm the last man standing with a MFD camera in hand. I think I'll stipulate that my ashes be interned inside a Leica S2 lens instead of a vase ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guys,

Can't we all just agree that:

For the price of admission, the Nikon D800 is an attractive camera, and that as good as it is, on several counts current and prior generation MF are still notably better. And let's face it, regardless of pixel count, there is a "look" to MF that is not present in smaller frame captures. Whether or not the subtleties of that are worth the price of admission is up to the end user IMHO.

What bothers me -- and I believe it bothers most MF shooters and tends to incite the passionate responses -- is a system getting repeatedly dissed by somebody simply because they can not or choose not to spend for it. I can appreciate a Ferrari even though I'll likely never be able to own one, I don't point out all of its foibles and idiosyncrasies and then compare select parts of it to those on a Jetta...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Guys,

Can't we all just agree that:

For the price of admission, the Nikon D800 is an attractive camera, and that as good as it is, on several counts current and prior generation MF are still notably better. And let's face it, regardless of pixel count, there is a "look" to MF that is not present in smaller frame captures. Whether or not the subtleties of that are worth the price of admission is up to the end user IMHO. (...)

+ 1

Yes - pleeaaase ...

Format and / or brand comparisons are only interesting when illustrated in a way so that we can see and judge for ourselves.

And often it's more about 'today's technology compared to yesterday's technology' than about brands or formats as such.

For me a larger sensor area will always mean room for larger photosites, i.e. larger wells gathering more light.

And that goes for the entire range of digital formats:

Tiny sensors >> Four-Thirds >> APS-C >> 35mm >> Medium Format >> ...