The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800E vs Hasselblad unofficial unprofessional comparision

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David everyone likes to hear what Pros have to say as they are in the trenches with this stuff and this goes for many industries for sure. This does not exclude a lot of hobbyists though especially here on GetDPI as many of them are top notch shooters and very smart folks. I listen to everyone and filter.

fotografz

End of day and this is more important than many folks think. Hobbyist drive this industry we as Pros are very very much the minority . Lets be honest Phase, Hassy, Leaf , Leica and Pentax are supported very heavily by the the hobbyist and without them these companies would be folding camp. As a Pro myself i owe them a debt a gratitude for keeping it alive.
Me too. MFD was there and allowed me to compete. That is still the case, nothing has changed in that regard.

I got in when the enthusiasts' market wasn't such a strong influence, at a time when the cost was baked into any invoice as rental/digital capture fees ... a relatively inexpensive alternative to shooting film, processing and digitizing each image used ... So, my initial investment was recouped with-in 2 to 3 years. That is a BIG difference between my experience and someone popping for the whole deal with no recovery.

Plus, to build on Jack's post, I think we may over-estimate it even now ... there are so many specialty applications this stuff is used for that it's hard to determine what is what.

The market will settle any directional issues longer term ... one way or the other. These things tend to be cyclical, and impatience can be costly. I thought to thin down my H lens system to essentials, then Leica introduces their H to S adapter. :thumbup:

Most Pros I know do not have the latest-greatest. They use what they have to good effect, and don't worry so much about the next innovation be it MFD or 35mm DSLRs. Or they rent it when needed. A huge amount of MFD is used in more controlled environments for applications it was originally designed for ... that has always been my own basis, and that some MFD systems became more mobile was just icing on the cake.

-Marc

FredBGG

Not Available
I have a Hensel Fresnal on order ... which isn't like an Arri, it IS an Arri.

This type of lighting isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine ... so YMMV.

-Marc
Hensel has three nice spot options.

One is based on an Arri chassis with a 30cm fresnal
The other two are based on ADB Television Spots, both with 30cm fresnel

I have worked with and owned both of these in their original tungsten versions. They are very nice. The only limitation they have is that the fresnel is more sharply shaped than the lenses designed for strobe that Broncolor and Elinchrom use. This can lead to some banding on shadows created by using two flags or fingers very close together. Minor problem really, but does make a difference in projected shadows of hair if the model is right up against the background.

I like crisp light but also like the sort of enveloping "soft crispness" of using there large fresnel lenses.

I also make my own lights. Leko type lights and I am working on two giant fresnel lights. One a 70cm and the other a 165cm.

The 165 is quite amazing, but I have to figure out how to make it more maneuverable.

I shot this with two Elinchrom 35cm fresnels and an SL44 gridded "kitchen sink"

Toyo 8x10 Schneider 480mm f8.4 Symmar-S

This one is with a single Elinchrom Fresnel spot:

Fuji gx680 250mm f5.6

There is also a smaller spot called the Jinbei S-26 Spot-Box.

It is really nice with a 9 inch lens. They are about $200 and are available with various mounts. Nice build, light and also have a support for heavier mono lights. Very handy on location. They are also quite deep so they focus the flash nicely to a tighter beam letting you use them at large distances so as to look more like the sun.

Last edited:

FredBGG

Not Available
Now we can use all the H lenses on the S2 from 28mm to 300mm. So, in addition to the 120/2.5 and 180/3.5APO, we have the 100/2.2, 150/3.2N, and 210/4 to work with.

-Marc
Yup the S2 has certainly put itself in a nice spot. Great options for optics.
Leica and Fujinon.... does not get much better than that unless you use an 8x10 with the amazing 480mm 8.4 Schneider Symmar-S but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I just would like to see a larger sensor in the S2. Same MP count would do, but just bigger.

David Schneider