The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Experience with Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x Teleconverter for D800?

D&A

Experience with Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x Teleconverter for D800?
Uwe,

Specifically used on lenses along with the D800? I can't provide info as of yet as I've just begun testing lenses (w & w/o) teleconverters with the D800.

What I can say about the performance of this teleconverter, is that it's exceptional (optically speaking) with a fairly good number of Nikon lenses....such as all the Nikon supertelephoto's (200f2 thru 600 f4). Of course some lenses perform at a higher level than others. In some cases there is a lowering of both microcnotrats and overall global contrast, depending on lens and lighting conditons. It does very well on the 70-200 f2.8 VRII too and fairly well on the 300 f4 Af-S. If it's performance on a D800 is anything like that on a D700/D3s, then it's very worthwhile to have.

Dave (D&A)

mark1958

Uwe
I just got this TC and have tested it on the D800-300mm/4. I took a lot of handheld shots and very impressed with the ability to get very sharp bird images. I kept the shutter at 1/500 -1/1600 range. Very few missed shots. I was a bit surprised because I was familiar using the canon 300/4 IS +1.4x TC. The absence of IS/VR is really noticeable in the way the camera lens can be steadied in my hands--- but remarkably at the shutter speeds mentioned, I did well. I did not test my limits by using slower shutter speeds as of yet. The ability to lock focus seemed to be slightly slowed compared to the 300 without the TC but not by much. I am out of town but can try to dig out a few examples.

I have not tried on 70-200/2.8 as of yet.