The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 28mm F1.8 anyone? (samples link)

Thorkil

hmm, some hot life going on here in Copenhagen I'm afraid...better stay home and do the calculating :) (almost too sharp :)
Do you just size down direct in C1, Steen, and post?
Guess you’re going for the distortion-festival then, in the inner city this evening, my kids too, but thanks god, I've got work to do….
Thorkil

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon 28mm f/1.8

Yes, I always do any optimization, cropping and scaling directly in the RAW converter it be Capture NX, Lightroom or Capture One

Thorkil

Your LR4 handled pictures seems to look sharper than the last posted from C1. Is LR more cleaver for posting on web?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Nah, I doubt that.

I guess it just has to do with the fact that the LR processed pictures were linked to full size conversions (though some of them somewhat cropped) while the C1 processed pictures only were linked to rather small, downscaled conversions so that you cannot zoom in to see the most subtle details.

Thorkil

ok, wasn't aware of the zoom-abilities before now. An awful lot of sharp details from the linked full-size!

kuau

Workshop Member
I just rented this lens from Lensrentals.com and tried it on my D800
I think it is a very good lens for landscape.
I did tests at F5.6 and F8 at infinity using LV for focusing.
I compared it to my old Nikon 28/2.8 AIS which is not bad for the money, yet the new 28/1.8 is sharper, I have one on order.

I also rented the 16-35/4 VR lens, I think its a dog.
I again did tests at 16,20,24,28 and 35mm at F5.6 and F8
used LV for focusing, I thought at all focal lengths the center is very good but the corners suck compared to primes.

Steven

D&A

I just rented this lens from Lensrentals.com and tried it on my D800
I think it is a very good lens for landscape.
I did tests at F5.6 and F8 at infinity using LV for focusing.
I compared it to my old Nikon 28/2.8 AIS which is not bad for the money, yet the new 28/1.8 is sharper, I have one on order.

I also rented the 16-35/4 VR lens, I think its a dog.
I again did tests at 16,20,24,28 and 35mm at F5.6 and F8
used LV for focusing, I thought at all focal lengths the center is very good but the corners suck compared to primes.

Steven
Thanks for your post Steven! As we've discussed in the past, our uses of lenses is often quite different. How was the 28mm f1.8 you tried at the more open apertures across the entire frame?

As for the 16-35mm f4, you may have noticed my previous postings regarding this lens, that for me personally, it was one of the more disappointing Nikon zooms I've attempted to photograph with. This was in part due to the outer zones you mentioned, but primarily for its extrodinarily high distortion at the wide end. This usually fixable distortion (in post processing), unfortunately could not be adaquetly fixed/eliminated for in the kinds of subjects I photographed. I often have a harsh opinion regarding this lens but do realize and respect it has it's legions of fans, who use it differently than I do.

On Nikon rumors, they showed that Nikon took out a patent for a design of a 20mm f1.8 and a 18mm f1.8 . Whether either one of these see the light of day, is anyones guess, but new single focal length high performance ultra wide i believe would serve them well. Thanks again Steven!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

bensonga

A couple of my first shots with the 28/1.8G lens and D800E on an overcast day (seems to be the norm here in Anchorage this "summer").

These were both shot at f4, processed from Raw in CS5.

Gary