The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 28 3.5 PC lens

Tektrader

Has anyone got any real world experience with this lens?

I had a 24 PC-e lens that was soft. I sold that one and bought the 28 which is winging its way to me as we speak.

Mainly interested in resolution and corner/edge sharpness.

Last edited:
D3 + PC 28mm f/3.5
I used this lens for several months. The critical point is to reduce the aperature down to f/11 then the quality at edge and corner will be maintained when you shift the lens to adjust the distortion.

DDudenbostel

I used one for years and loved it. Fine lens. Haven't had it for several years but don't remember any issues. I used it on film when I owned one so no experience with it on digital. I went to canon FF when canon went digital and curriny have the 24 tse and have thought of picking up a Nikon 28 for it. I do quite a bit if architectural work for clients and feel a 28 would be a good mid range wide. Also may buy a 35 pc Nikkor.

Tektrader

thanks guys Nice photo. The light stars look great :) Are they aperture only or did you use a filter?

If I can get what you have out of it I will be wrapped. Hope F11 isnt too stopped down for a sharp D800 capture.

thanks guys Nice photo. The light stars look great :) Are they aperture only or did you use a filter?

If I can get what you have out of it I will be wrapped. Hope F11 isnt too stopped down for a sharp D800 capture.
It's the effect from f/16, only a UV filter.

Rethmeier

Just sold my 35/2.8 PC. I've been told that the 28/3.5 PC has some odd distortion going on.
Not recommended for architecture.
My 24 PC-e is sharp and so are my 45 +85 PC-e lenses

aboudd

I shoot architecture and I've used all of them. The 24 PC-E, the Schneider 28, the Nikon 28 & 35 PC and the 45 & 85 PC-E as well. The 28 PC is a fine lens. I have not had any issues and the sharpness is comparable to the 24 PC-E ... in most cases. CA, controllable in CS5, can be an issue, resolution has not been. I've had two 24 PC-E, the first one was weak, the second near perfect. Like everything else, there are sample to sample variations. Unless you need the wider angle of the 24 PC-E (at about $1700 used) you can save a bucket of money and buy both the 28 & 35 PC lens for under a grand.

Tektrader

Thanks for taking the time to reply Aboudd

Thats good news. I paid $445 for the 28mm PC which if it lives up to your rap is really a bargain.

28mm should be fine for what i do. lets just hope it very very sharp unlike the 24mm PC-E I had.

Any other pointers to using it?

aboudd

Hi Tektrader,

I am finishing up an assignment for a web site for a apartment building. They needed a shot of their rooftop pool. I shot this with the 28MM PC this morning. A little brush adjustment in Lightroom and curves corrected, but that is it. As far as tips on using it go, meter in neutral position, then shift. Sweet spot seems to be middle apertures, up to F11, at least on my lens.
There was no lens correction done on this image, so as you can see, if your are perpendicular and parallel to the subject, you won't have distortion at this range. Up close, within say 8 feet, you might get a drop of barrel, but it is easily fixed in CS5.
Do I need to tell you it is best to use this puppy on a tripod? ;-)

One more thought, the perspective of the 28 is more natural than the 24, although the 24 is great for tight interiors in particular. At some point you may want to add the 35 PC to your arsenal.

You got a great deal on your lens, baby it.

Last edited:

Tektrader

Cool,

Will definitely be on a tripod. I have actually just bought L brackets and panoheads to use with this lens.

My use will be for 6-8 shot panno's with the thinking that I should be able to vertically shift for the second row using the lens shift function. So shift 5mm down from neutral or so for the bottom row and 5mm up for the second row. Using the D800 I have coming should make for awsome 100 megpixel+ raw files.

So it will be mainly landscape panoramas this is used for, printed up to 2 metres wide. I dont forsee much of a loss cause I cant tilt the lens.

I am looking for a 35mm one now, tryng to get the latest model one with the black adjustment handle for the right price looks like an interesting exercise.

Thanks for your help. :)