The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645 lens mount to Nikon converter/adapter?

Dave, I did the same image with and without. Aside from being a 1 stop darker with the 1.4 I did not notice any real differences in contrast or detail. I think this combination, although not recommended by Pentax, work fantastically well.

ACH

D&A

Dave, I did the same image with and without. Aside from being a 1 stop darker with the 1.4 I did not notice any real differences in contrast or detail. I think this combination, although not recommended by Pentax, work fantastically well.

ACH
It appears to have worked very well! The loss of contrast I have noticed with the 1.4x was with their use on the longer telephoto's....but of course it depends on the lighting.

I haven't yet tried it (the 1.4x) on the 120mm f4 macro yet.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave: Here is the Rainbowimaging adapter. I put an arrow pointing to what "looks like" the lever to close down the diaphragm. Looking at the back of one of my 645 lenses, and where the lens lever is, this adapter lever looks to be in the correct location to do what we want. For 40 bucks, I may just take a chance on it. I have a half dozen of their various adapters for my NEX 7 and the quality/workmanship are "OK" but they all work and focus to infinity.
Good luck
Dave

Last edited:

D&A

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the info. I believe thats the one and it does appear to have the lever that enables stopping down of the Pentax 645 lens. I just ordered one, so we'll see how it works. Interestingly, on the Rainbowimaging website, it says a feature of this adapter is that it has a built in tripod mount....LOL! I truly doubt that and think it was simply an error. Dave are you going to order one too? Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

right now!!!
Dave
Fantastic....we'll know in a few days how it is. Can you believe I ordered it late last night (Friday I believe) and in the morning on Saturday already received notice it's in the mail and on it's way, with a tracking #! That's what I call service :). I wonder if I'll receive the one with the built in tripod mount they mentioned....if so, can I hang the 600 f5.6 off of it...LOL!

Dave again and appreciate the heads up. They don't appear to list this particular adapter on eBay anymore, so I would not have found it, if not for your mentioning it where it was though on their website.

Dave (D&A).

gurtch

You are welcome Dave (D&A). As I mentioned I have some of their adapters,,,some have tripod mounts, and some do not, very inconsistent, and not always obvious from their web site. I agree, I have always been notified next day shipping priority mail. Great Service. They also have some VERY inexpensive "knock offs" of quick release plates (the long telephoto variety).
I ordered mine today (Saturday), it will probably ship Tuesday (Monday would not surprise me)
Best
Dave

D&A

You are welcome Dave (D&A). As I mentioned I have some of their adapters,,,some have tripod mounts, and some do not, very inconsistent, and not always obvious from their web site. I agree, I have always been notified next day shipping priority mail. Great Service. They also have some VERY inexpensive "knock offs" of quick release plates (the long telephoto variety).
I ordered mine today (Saturday), it will probably ship Tuesday (Monday would not surprise me)
Best
Dave
Dave, When I mentioned that they had noted that this particular adapter had a tripod mount, I simply thought it was typo since it sounded almost rediculous. Unless I'm miss-understanding something, how can a barely 1"-1.5" diameter adapter (or thereabouts) have a built in tripod mount.....unlees it's simply a screw threaded hole? I must be missing something in terms of trying to get a visual of this.

Regardless of tripod mount or not, looking forward to receiving it. Thanks again Dave!

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave: I have a half dozen "Brand X" adapters for my NEX 7. Here is a typical one: This one is for M42 to NEX. You can see what the tripod mount looks like. It REALLY is a plus for longer lenses. If the ones we ordered, do, in fact have this feature, so much the better. Here is a snapshot:

D&A

For some reason the file did not upload. Try again.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the image. I can see how that particular tripod mount might be useful or OK with small, light cameras and lenses...but not sure I would trust it with a 645 lens hanging off of it. Guess I have to see one first hand to make an assessment. The description on their website does indicate though it has the tripod mount. We'll know soon enough.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi Dave & All,

I just received my RainbowImaging Pentax 645 to Nikon converter. It was ordered late Friday night, shipped early Sat morning and arrived today (Monday). Could not have been any faster service.

The adapter's cosmetics have changed from the image posted on the RainbowImaging website. The shape is different, there is no tripod mount, and those alternating silver & black ribbing or lines on the circumference of the adapter are not there.

In any case, 645 lens mounts very smoothly to the adapter as does the adapter onto the Nikon body. Although a bit small and one has to press a little hard, the button to remove the 645 lens from the adapter works OK. There is the built in lever which allows stopping down the 645 lens aperture properly. It looks like its farily well built, but how long or well it holds up, time will tell.

I was indooors (it was night), so I quickly mounted the Pentax 75mm f2.8 645 lens on the adapter and then all onto the D800E. I focused on a item about 5 feet away. It focused perfectly and in "A" mode, the camera exposed properly to whatever the lens aperture is set to. The resulting shot was phenominal...beyond sharp...simply fantastic! If this is any indicator how saome Pentax 645 lenses are going to perform on the D800...I can't wait to shoot and test them out!

If there are any issues to focusing the 645 lens to infinity, I'll know more when I test during the daytime on a subject at great distance. I just hope the weight of a heavier Pentax 645 lens isn't too much for the adapter.

Dave, let me know when you get yours and how you like it. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

G

GeorgeBarr

My Photodiox pentax 645 to nikon adapter arrived yesterday and it has the identical lever, attached to a spring inside, so that the f stops work properly, now to get the 800e upon which to test it. It has the same code on the outside and I suspect is made by the same people.

I'm hoping the 75 and 120 will be up to the task, I suspect the 35 and 200 not but we'll see.

George

D&A

My Photodiox pentax 645 to nikon adapter arrived yesterday and it has the identical lever, attached to a spring inside, so that the f stops work properly, now to get the 800e upon which to test it. It has the same code on the outside and I suspect is made by the same people.

I'm hoping the 75 and 120 will be up to the task, I suspect the 35 and 200 not but we'll see.

George
Great George and thanks for the info. Some seem to be made by same manufacturer, some not. As for performance of Pentax 645 lenses on the D800, keep in mind that basically you"re using the sweet spot of the lens, so often even a medic ore lens might do alright. I was surprised how well the 75mm f2.8 did...beyond my expectations. As for the FA 200, I haven't tried it, but I agree, I"m not expecting a lot from it.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Hi guys:
Diglloyd gives the Pentax 645 200mm A lens high marks, so we shouldn't sell it short yet. He states:
"Conclusions

Providing you focus it carefully, the Pentax-A 200mm f/4 offers very consistent sharpness across the frame at f/4, reaching optimal performance at f/5.6. Given its compact size, this is definitely a lens worth having for the 645D."

He is a paid site, so I hope I don't make a problem for the direct quote.
BTW his site is great!!
Dave in NJ

D&A

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you! I assume you received your Rainbowimaging Pentax 645 to Nikon adapter? What do you think (see my comments above.

Early on I read Diglloyd's work with the 645D and lenses (some of the lenses lent to him by others for his assessment). For the most part I agree with much of his assessment but also felt he didn't go into depth with some of his testing as good as he is with methodology (and respect his work).

My experience with many samples of the 200 f4 is that it can be a good lens (depending on sample), but does lack the bite and microcontrast of some of the better Pentax 645 lenses and needs to be stopped down more than some.

So I'm not selling this lens short, but it's also not a standout as others often are (in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave:
I screwed up, and ordered the wrong adapter! I ordered the 645 to Pentax K adapter by mistake, but the order some how got screwed up. Paypal made the payment, but i have not received the adapter, and my emails have not been answered. Also, when i went to order the correct adapter, they are sold out. The Fotodox adapter is double the price!
Best regards
Dave

D&A

Dave:
I screwed up, and ordered the wrong adapter! I ordered the 645 to Pentax K adapter by mistake, but the order some how got screwed up. Paypal made the payment, but i have not received the adapter, and my emails have not been answered. Also, when i went to order the correct adapter, they are sold out. The Fotodox adapter is double the price!
Best regards
Dave
I am extremely sorry to hear of your issue. Interestingly, as soon as I ordered my adapter, it showed two remaining in stock. Then when you mentioned you ordered yours, it almost immediately showed one left in stock, so I assumeed your order reduced the # in stock. Guess as it turns out, it was someone elses order. Funny how these remained in stock for quite some time and then as son as it's talked about, they quickly disappeared.

I'm sure they will get more in stock and when you hear from them, let us know the status. Hope it gets worked out soon for you.

Dave (D&A)