The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

ShooterSteve

This a bit discouraging . With the Canon bodies it used be that the mirrors had a wide variance (tolerance) ..some worked and others would not . Sergio posted some examples using his 19 . Anyone else using a 19 and been through the shaving process. I would hate to buy one and shave it to fine it would not focus to infinity without hitting the mirror .
If I didn't already have the Leica 19, I would probably pick up the Zeiss 18 and save all the trouble. But I would love to see a comparison between the two on the D800/e - anyone out there have both??? I'm going to get back to work on my Leica 19 next week and see if I can't get it to work. I'll let you know.

robsteve

Subscriber
With my 180mm f3.4 APO now sold, I decided to try the Leitax mount on an old 35mm Summicron I have. Just playing with it this evening, it looks promising on the D800E.

Here is my dog Bea with her favorite stuffed toy. It was pretty dim and easy to focus if she stayed still. This was the 35mm Summicron at F2 and 2500iso.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is the dog in action again with the 35mm Summicron-R, shot at f2. I might have processed it a bit too cool.

robsteve

Subscriber
Rob looks pretty good in the centre, how about edges?
Its very sharp in the center, the edges need it to be stopped down. I think there is probably a bit of curvature of field and for scenic stuff, you would probably have to as Sergio suggests, focus on the edges and use the DOF to get the center.

I also have the 21-35mm and in comparison to the 35mm Summicron and the 28mm Elmarit, the 21-35mm has better performance out to the edges on the D800E. It is also very good at the 21mm setting and unless you need the speed of the 19mm and the wider angle of view, the 21-25mm can replace all three lenses. The 21-35mm is also a lens profile supported on Lightroom, which makes me think it will work well on the new M.

robsteve

Subscriber
Here is a test shot I made yesterday morning with the 35mm Summicron. I was counting click stops and forgot it was a F2 lens, so this was at f5.6. It would have been a little bit better on the edges at f8. Don't use the tree brance at the very left as a guide, because it was a tree on my property and not too far from the camera, and out of focus. Use the edge of the lake and the grass, concrete as a guide.

There was frost in the grass sublimating (look that one up), so some parts of the image in the center in particular have this mist killing some of the sharpness like a heat haze.

From the left side of the image.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Impressive manual focus for DIF (Dogs In Flight), and sports ... :thumbup:

Enjoy your optical viewfinder while you have one.

ShooterSteve

Sergio

Yes Thanks. I can see now that you also had to grind down the rear optic ring a bit too. That was what I was thinking had to be done.

Appreciate the new detail.

Wish me luck!

Steve

robsteve

Subscriber
I just ran a few tests with the Nikon TC-16A 1.6x AF converter. Though it works don't think it is a very high quality converter. The images are sharp, but are missing the fine details and they have a bit of a glow to them. I was using it on the 400mm APO.

S

sunsetnoir

I'm new here, i just convert a R 35mm cron on my D800E, here are some problems:
1, I have to change aperture on the lens ring.
2, I can't focus on small aperture low light.
anybody knows why?
some pictures here, thanks

Leica R lenses on D800 are completely manual, there is no link to the auto aperture lever,
so you change aperture with lens ring and expose with stop down metering.
Focusing is best done with the lens wide open, or maximun 2,8/4.
Otherwise use live view.
Wellcome!

Sergio

S

sunsetnoir

Sergio Thanks!
I have another question, I have to turn reverse direction to focus, is that a problem?

-Ray

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunsetnoir/

Leica R lenses on D800 are completely manual, there is no link to the auto aperture lever,
so you change aperture with lens ring and expose with stop down metering.
Focusing is best done with the lens wide open, or maximun 2,8/4.
Otherwise use live view.
Wellcome!

Sergio

Last edited:
S

sunsetnoir

thanks a lot! Sergio, you answered all my questions! now I am happy with my DIY L-N work now! the cheaper RainbowImaging adapter actually works fine. cheers! have a nice day!

sc_john

I am considering using Leica R 80-200/4 on D800E vs Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II (or new 70-200/4 VRII). For my type of work, I am very comfortable with manual focus and not having VR. So, I am really asking about overall lens quality (and practicality of R interface with adapter).

Thanks.

John