The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

ShooterSteve

I have no doubt that if you can find a Leica R in excellent optical condition, it will out perform any other brand in most focal lengths. I have three and would like a few more, but the prices are very high and they are hard to find - which I guess explains the high $$$.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Here is the dog in action again with the 35mm Summicron-R, shot at f2. I might have processed it a bit too cool.

Whoa... that's some serious field curvature! (Good shot!)

I found Leica R coatings often reproduced a bit cool, or cyan for the older luxes.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Is that Newbury Street in Boston, or somewhere in Brooklyn? I assume Boston since the cab outside isn't yellow. I use to live on Boylston St and later Beacon St near Mass Ave in the early 90s. (When I worked at the Free Software Foundation, back then housed by MIT at 545 Tech Sq in Cambridge.)

The double image in the window is kind of confusing yet adds an interesting dimension.

S

sunsetnoir

Thanks, Yes, That is Newbury St. in Boston.
I was trying to find a different viewpoint on the street other than shoot those beautiful brown house and fancy shops.

Is that Newbury Street in Boston, or somewhere in Brooklyn? I assume Boston since the cab outside isn't yellow. I use to live on Boylston St and later Beacon St near Mass Ave in the early 90s. (When I worked at the Free Software Foundation, back then housed by MIT at 545 Tech Sq in Cambridge.)

The double image in the window is kind of confusing yet adds an interesting dimension.

Ron Pfister

Hi all!

A very interesting thread with many instructive (and some beautiful) images. Thanks a lot!

I recently purchased an Apo-Elmarit 180, and am still waiting to receive the Leitax mount for it. If there is interest, I'll be happy to post samples later on.

I'm also interested in the Summilux 80, and was wondering if anyone here has used it with the D800/E. I'd be primarily interested in feedback regarding performance at wide apertures.

TIA,

Ron

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi all!

A very interesting thread with many instructive (and some beautiful) images. Thanks a lot!

I recently purchased an Apo-Elmarit 180, and am still waiting to receive the Leitax mount for it. If there is interest, I'll be happy to post samples later on.

I'm also interested in the Summilux 80, and was wondering if anyone here has used it with the D800/E. I'd be primarily interested in feedback regarding performance at wide apertures.

TIA,

Ron

The 80/1.4 was the first Leica R lens I converted to the Nikon mount . Used if for two years on the D3X and then now on the D800E . It is almost exactly like the 75/1.4 on the M body . At its widest apertures it is soft,lower contrast and has some of the Leica glow . The downside is that it will not render the fine detail that the D800E is capable of resolving when shooting wide open. Stopped down to f2.8 and then F5.6 is becomes very sharp . I like the flexibility to use the character of this lens . A great lens for new baby photography. :)

If you really want strong IQ at f1.4 (and aren t speaking to the aesthetic ) the 50 /1.4 R summilux 60MM version is much better .

Ron Pfister

Roger, many thanks for your input! Soft wide open and sharp stopped-down sounds like an interesting combo. I've got 50 and 100mm covered with Zeiss MPs, and I'm looking for an interesting lens to cover the middle ground.

From different samples I've seen, I don't really care for the way the ZF.2 Planar 1.4/85 draws at wide apertures. The bokeh is a bit too busy for my liking. That and focus shift at close range made me look elsewhere. The Lux seems smoother from what I've seen, but I haven't seen any direct comparisons. I would appreciate any comments on this.

As an aside, I'm also considering the C/Y Sonnar 2.8/85 as a travel lens. Small, light and sharp even wide open....

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ron

I tried the 85/1.4 zeiss and agree with your observations. The 85/1.4 is an excellent travel lens with all the zeiss pop . It seems better at distance than close up and as you noted the bokeh can be harsh at times .

The Leica 80/1.4 is completely different ..wide open its all about the bokeh and the color is excellent but soft compared to the Zeiss. Stopped down the resolution and contrast are surprising ..excellent .

Keep in mind that Leica R images will not pair well with the ZF 50 and 100 ...the differences in rendering can be distracting . This is why I went with all Leica R glass for my D800E ..they were a better fit with the aesthetics of my M gear .

Shame that neither system seems to have a complete set between 21 and 180 . I like the zeiss wide angles 15/18/21/25 and the Leica 50/80/100/180 . So I went with the 19/28 R to complete the R kit . Zeiss does a really great job of color matching because of the use of the same glass in cinema mount sets .

Ron Pfister

Keep in mind that Leica R images will not pair well with the ZF 50 and 100 ...the differences in rendering can be distracting . This is why I went with all Leica R glass for my D800E ..they were a better fit with the aesthetics of my M gear .
That's a really good point - thanks! The thought never crossed my mind, but I guess I'm on the right track regardless: most of my M-lenses are Zeiss, and I'm very happy with them (I'm using them on NEX-7 and NEX-6). But I do already have a mix, using Leica at the long end of the range for both M and R and CVs on the wide end for M.

I'm currently chasing an 80 lux that looks good (ROM version, latest coatings). I hope it works out...

vonalpen

Hi Roger
Can you comment on the qualities of the Leica R 28mm and 19mm on the D800E, are they the newest versions?
I'm using the Leica R 2,8/180mm APO and the 100mm APO-Macro with great success on the D800E and am now considering these wides.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

Jost

Fotografie: Jost von Allmen
www.jostvonallmen.com
Switzerland

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The 19 and the 28 were my two picks for the wide angles . 28 is my most used FOV for travel and street .

The 19 is away at DAG getting shaved and converted to a Nikon mount . I had it before and found it superb but remember my context is street and travel ...not a good test generally for a landscape or architectural photographer .

The 28/2.8 R latest version with pull out shade is exceptional . One of the last R lenses to be updated and it has the floating elements . For my use its near perfect ...getting close for environmental portraits is important on the street . The FLE keep the performance at the top even close and wide open .

The lens does suffer from field curvature ....which can be frustrating for landscape photographer ..edges may not be sharp near infinity unless you stop down a lot . (this of course on a D800 takes you out of the optimum f5.6 range ) . Rob had some excellent examples of field curvature with the 28/2.8.

Color matching and consistent aesthetic are important to me (the concept of having a color matched set of lenses similar to video requirements ) ..the 28/2.8 R works really well with the 100APO . There is a few examples of Leica R bokeh on this thread and the 28 has consistent and excellent bokeh .

If your primary use was landscape and consistent color and aesthetic were not really important (my work is a collection ,an essay ,a book , an exhibit ) ...if you want a fine art print ..each print may stand on its own ..so consistency isn t critical .........
I would pick the Zeiss wide angles for landscape 15/18/21/25 and I may give the 25/2 a try for street work as I miss having a fast wide angle.

Each system has its own finger print and working with the 100 and 180 app s I would think you will be very happy with the 19 and 28.

robsteve

Subscriber
I am considering using Leica R 80-200/4 on D800E vs Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II (or new 70-200/4 VRII). For my type of work, I am very comfortable with manual focus and not having VR. So, I am really asking about overall lens quality (and practicality of R interface with adapter).

Thanks.

John
John:

My best guess is the Leica will be sharper out to the edges than the Nikon. I don't have the Leica 80-200mm anymore, but when I compared it in the film days to the 105-280mm, the 105-280mm was slightly better. I have shot the 105-280mm versus the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II using a D800E and the Nikon is not sharp to the edges.

Here is a link to my test shots.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/472383-post18.html

sc_john

John:

My best guess is the Leica will be sharper out to the edges than the Nikon. I don't have the Leica 80-200mm anymore, but when I compared it in the film days to the 105-280mm, the 105-280mm was slightly better. I have shot the 105-280mm versus the 70-200mm f2.8 VR II using a D800E and the Nikon is not sharp to the edges.

Here is a link to my test shots.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/472383-post18.html
Thanks. That is quite a difference in the corners. Now my only decision is whether to convert the R 80-200/4 ROM to Nikon mount now or wait until M-240 is available for use with R:M adapter.

John

Ron Pfister

Hi all,

A quick question to those of you who have experience with both the AE180/2.8 and the AT280/4: I currently have the option to buy an example of the latter model that has recently been to Solms for CLA. Compared to my AE180, I noticed that the focusing ring requires quite a lot of force to turn and seems rather 'sticky' if it hasn't been turned in about half a minute or longer. Is this normal? I should add that my AE180 focuses very smoothly and easily, allowing focusing with just one finger.

Many TIA for your input!

Best,

Ron

A pair of notes on the elmarits 28 and 19.
The slight 28' field curvature is not concave, as happens with most lenses, but
convex, so the little trick to have an image completely in focus at infinity is to
set the lens between the 5 meters and infinity marks, and stop down. 5,6 is enough in most cases.
The 19 is a spectacular lens, at the same time sharp and with delicate Leica color rendering. Mustache distortion was the limit, but now ACR profiles provide
for perfect correction.This has added great value to the lens.
An example (a much bigger jpg on Flickr)

_DSC2014r by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
A quick question to those of you who have experience with both the AE180/2.8 and the AT280/4: I currently have the option to buy an example of the latter model that has recently been to Solms for CLA. Compared to my AE180, I noticed that the focusing ring requires quite a lot of force to turn and seems rather 'sticky' if it hasn't been turned in about half a minute or longer. Is this normal? I should add that my AE180 focuses very smoothly and easily, allowing focusing with just one finger.
When I had the APO 280/4 it was super light on the focus. Maybe not quite one finger, but more like two due to the sheer amount of weight shifted. Nothing you'd ever characterize as sticky or tight. Sounds like they didn't lube it quite to factory spec during the CLA. Mine was bought new.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi Sergio, if you get a chance can you take a better photo of the rear of your 19 2.8? I have the same lens and am so far, unable to remove enough of the rear of the lens to clear the mirror on my D800. I have the latest ROM version. Is that what yours is?

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Just a few follow ups . I sent my 19/2.8 v2 to DAG along with my D800E and for a very small charge he changed the mount and shaved the lens . Its so perfect that you would have to know what to look for to see it was modified . Highly recommended approach

Now I am after the 35 1.4 summilux but david at Leitax tells me ..while it works with shaving on a D700 ..it may not on the D800. This is disappointing as I am really looking hard for the 35 summilux . I don t want to get into shaving the mirror . Anyone have any experience ?