The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Ron Pfister

@viablex1: I have also just purchased one of these lenses (latest version - awaiting delivery). The going rate seems to be anywhere between USD 2k and 3k. You have to look around (and ask around, too), checking back frequently. The sought after Leica-R lenses tend to sell very quickly these days, and this is clearly one of them. Far East ebay sellers tend to have very high prices, while you can sometimes find very reasonable prices from official Leica dealers, particularly in Germany. Good luck!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I got mine from a member in Denmark.

I had the 19 years ago with my Canons and I actually liked it better than the Zeiss 21. The only problem here is this mount change, shaving the shroud and no filter ring . So yea it maybe a hassle but I did like the way it renders. This focal length is important to me as us the 35 and 85. So I'm after the best I can get in these focal lengths. I need something now between 19/ 35 and thinking of the Nikon 28 as its also a PR lens so AF is a need . 19 is usually a tripod gig

Guy Mancuso

Very happy with the Sigma. Bottom line on the Sigma. Best 1.4 lens made at 1.4. Extremely sharp with no loss of contrast. Seriously I have not found a 1.4 lens in any flavor or mm that is that sharp at 1.4. Most 1.4 lenses deal with lens aberrations which also give it a certain look too and sometimes that is nice. For instance Leica R 80 lux maybe the worst technically at 1.4 but those same lens aberrations give it that nice look . The Sigma does not have those aberrations but still maintains a nice look to it, which is unusually to get a lens that sharp wide open but still look good without being clinical looking. Now I loved the 80r lens and at 5.6 it was biting sharp. I shot almost every Leica R lens and there are about 5 that are killer good and many that are very very good. Also some are technically amazing but with that comes a more clinical look. The S lenses are more technically correct but are also more clinically looking. Not that is bad but they're just not summilux looking since technically they are better than Sumiluxes.

Guy Mancuso

19r
28 elmarit very good
35 lux beauty look
35cron just sharp
50 lux maybe one of the best 50s around
60macro best ever in this focal
80 lux
90 cron biting sharp
100 macro good but than I jump to my favorite
180 F2 cron
180 2.8 a lot of folks like
Best zoom made in the day 35-70 2.8 extremely rare and expensive. If I remember maybe 50 made. I had one
28-90 zoom its replacement and exceedingly good

Some of the old dogs that shot many of them are here . Roger, Robert , Kurt , Woody, Mark and others and this all comes from late Canon days to we all moved to the DMR which we all loved. Also these folks are the grandfathers of adapters , lens shaving, mirror shaving and all these tricks that get talked about today. Which I'm sure all of us get a good laugh when the young bloods think they discovered a new trick. It really is kind of funny and at the same time rewarding to us as we paved a path in history. There was a great thread many moons ago that will. Live in the minds of many. It was called the DMR bible, maybe the biggest thread in history who knows. I started it and eventually deleted it and was banned from that forum. Asshole owner of that forum. I'm sure I get the same here sometimes. :grin:

Ron Pfister

Thanks, Guy! Reads like the perfect wish list... :)

As an aside: I have recently taken delivery of a Zeiss Sonnar 2,8/85 C/Y MM. First testing on the D800E shows that this lens definitely is a keeper. Excellent performance across the frame between f/4 and f/11. Therafter, diffraction takes its toll, but f/16 is definitely useable with appropriate sharpening in post.

Ron Pfister

The 28 2.8 and 35 f2 work perfectly with no mods necessary other than the mount conversion.
I just received my 28 (P/N 11 333), and the mirror of my D800E hits the mounting ring of the rear element when the lens is focussed at infinity. Does anyone else see this?

TIA,

Ron

Guy Mancuso

Is this with the Leitax mount.

Btw side note. If one did pay for. UPS shipping the extra 15 euros than how long did it take to get to states. My 19mm is on its way from Denmark and ordering the Leitax today. Looking forward to shooting the 19 again

Ron Pfister

Leitax, too - with dandelion chip. There are marks on the ring around the rear element where the mirror hits it. They are about 1/4 of the ring's diameter from the top (as seen when the lens is held with the mount in vertical orientation with the DOF scale facing up). The mirror is blocked anywhere between 10m and infinity focus. I'll post a photo later, but it might take some time...

Regarding shaving the mounting ring of the rear element, what is the best practice to avoid damage to the focusing mechanism? I'm aware how to protect glass and the inner workings of the lens from metal shavings, but I'm not sure how to grind (i.e. rear element up, using a file, or rear element down, using sand paper flat on a work surface). I've shaved a Zeiss C/Y lens before. In that case, the rear element could easily be removed from the lens for grinding, thus avoiding stress on the focussing mechanism.

TIA for any insights!

Ron

Edit: it's not 10m but 10 feet - actually when the focus indicator is aligned with the center of the zero of the 10ft mark, the mirror can still move freely. Any closer to infinity, and the mirror is blocked.

Last edited:
Ron, the ring shouldn't interfere with the mirror. This leaves 3 possibilities:
-for some reason, a different ring has been used during assembly
-lens focus excursion needs adjustment
-mirror position slightly moved from standard.
Probably better investigate before shaving. (rear element up, using a file is what I did
with the 19)

Sergio

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for your input, Sergio. I was thinking the same - I will definitely first check infinity focus before proceeding further.

A question with this regard to all users of this lens: how accurate is the infinity stop with your lens?

TIA,

Ron

Guy Mancuso

Wondering if anyone can do me a favor and take a few shots of the rear shroud and placement. I want to see how much to shave and exactly where. I done this before but hard to remover he details. Thanks in advance

19 mm that is. Also would love. To hear of some filter adapter setup

Ron Pfister

Ron, the ring shouldn't interfere with the mirror. This leaves 3 possibilities:
-for some reason, a different ring has been used during assembly
-lens focus excursion needs adjustment
-mirror position slightly moved from standard.
I just checked infinity focus with my 1:2.8/28, and it's pretty much spot on. That would rule out the second point in your list. I wonder if the mirror assembly of my D800E is out of spec. I'll post images of the lens rear element and the camera mirror box ASAP.

Wondering if anyone can do me a favor and take a few shots of the rear shroud and placement. I want to see how much to shave and exactly where. I done this before but hard to remover he details. Thanks in advance

19 mm that is. Also would love. To hear of some filter adapter setup
Guy, post 103 in this thread.

Ron Pfister

I'd like to add two comments regarding the images above:

Elmarit 2.8/28: you can see the strike marks caused by the mirror on the mounting ring of the rear element. The lowest one results when the lens is focussed at infinity. NB: in the image, the lens is *not* focused at infinity, but rather somewhere around 2m/6ft.

D800E: when the mirror is up, its edge is perfectly aligned with the outer edge of the foam damping strip attached to the frame of the focussing screen.