The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lens came . Da anyone have a extra rear element. Just joking

Modified, painted and waiting for Leitax mount, its going to be a very very very long weekend and longer. Damn what do I do now. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Okay my patience has run out. Bought a cheap 25 dollar mount from amazon just to use until my Leitax gets here. I also modified mine like Rogers that Dag did for him on his 19mm . What I did was file down the other ring to meet the inner ring all around than just filed down the inner ring a little on the top. I did a nice job but the permanent marker I used did a okay job. It's like it should be primed first than apply the marker. Interested to hear what others may have used.

ShooterSteve

Not a Leica but has anyone tried the Nikon 105 2.8 VR Macro? I'm trying to decide between the Nikon and the Zeiss 100f2 at twice the price. I've been very impressed with the sharpness of the 60mm Nikon G Macro. All opinions welcome.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Steve, 5 years ago Ray Harms compared those two lenses, see post # 82 - 99 in this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/1225-zeiss-100mm-2.html#post19322

I for one have the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF and it is indeed a great optic.
Still, today I think I would just go with the Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR for exactly the reasons Ray mentioned in his comparison back in 2008: autofocus, 1:1, VR and price.
I should point out that I have actually never tried the Micro Nikkor myself, I have just seen many fine results from others using that lens.

You can see some of my macro shots with the Zeiss ZF 100mm in this old macro thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/1812-macro-thread-everyone-5.html#post235900

And now back to Leica :)

BSEH

Okay my patience has run out. Bought a cheap 25 dollar mount from amazon just to use until my Leitax gets here. I also modified mine like Rogers that Dag did for him on his 19mm . What I did was file down the other ring to meet the inner ring all around than just filed down the inner ring a little on the top. I did a nice job but the permanent marker I used did a okay job. It's like it should be primed first than apply the marker. Interested to hear what others may have used.
Birchwood Casey Flat Matt Black Touch up Pen for Gun or Rifle dit the job for me.. No priming and the matte black kills refleksion

sell online, Ebay - Amazone ..and more..... and your local gun shop might have it to..

Guy Mancuso

Okay I got this cheap mount and I got it working but the aperture sticks with the arm to the mount which I'm not concerned about. I can get to about F11. I really just want to see if everything is working until my Leitax mount comes. My real worry is I filed down some more as it was hitting. Now I'm at the point where I can almost get to infinity before it hits. I may just leave it alone until I get the Leitax mount as I'm not sure I want to file anymore or I need to with the Leitax. Ill give it some marker on it see where it's hitting and go from there. But I took a break from it until morning. Don't want to rush this.

Guy Mancuso

Well hate to admit but I was within minutes of having it ready but I snapped the internal connector on the focusing ring. Called DAG and its being FedX ed as we speak to fix that for me. Its my fault it got a little tight from grinding which BTW was FAR MORE than I had to do with my Canons and it got a little too tight and stupid me I forced the issue. **** happens to good people. Color me stupid on this one.

Thanks Roger for your help

woodleica

Anyone tried the 80-200 f/4 R converted on a 800/e? I have the lens and instead of springing for the Nikon version was wondering about how the Leica performs. I also have the 100 apo, 180 apo 3.4 and 50 cron that I'm thinking of converting.

ShooterSteve

Well hate to admit but I was within minutes of having it ready but I snapped the internal connector on the focusing ring. Called DAG and its being FedX ed as we speak to fix that for me. Its my fault it got a little tight from grinding which BTW was FAR MORE than I had to do with my Canons and it got a little too tight and stupid me I forced the issue. **** happens to good people. Color me stupid on this one.

Thanks Roger for your help
Okay I got this cheap mount and I got it working but the aperture sticks with the arm to the mount which I'm not concerned about. I can get to about F11. I really just want to see if everything is working until my Leitax mount comes. My real worry is I filed down some more as it was hitting. Now I'm at the point where I can almost get to infinity before it hits. I may just leave it alone until I get the Leitax mount as I'm not sure I want to file anymore or I need to with the Leitax. Ill give it some marker on it see where it's hitting and go from there. But I took a break from it until morning. Don't want to rush this.
Hi Guy, I had the same issue with one of my Leitex conversions. I just filed the lever down a bit until it didn't rub on the mount.

Guy Mancuso

Yes when it comes back that's what I plan to do. Ill switch with the Leitax but save that mount maybe for a 28mm which I would like to get also. Just a little grinding is all it would take for the aperture connection no to rub on the inside mount.

I also bought a Dremel which I always wanted to have around the house anyway

ShooterSteve

When I had the same problem, I preferred to grind the mount.
Now that you mention it, I may have done that first but the mount material is much stronger than the little arm material I think. Hard steel mount vs. soft aluminum lever. The amount you need to remove is so minimal I don't think it would effect the operation of the lever.

Guy Mancuso

I have the Leitax mount now, just waiting for Don to fix my focusing connection and ill see what needs to be done. Hope I get it soon , got 2 gigs in Vegas next Sunday and like to bring it with me to test.

Guy Mancuso

Looking forward to getting it back. Its a unique piece that broke but DAG said very soon. He has a rush on it for me.