The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E and Leica R Lenses

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lens is here and have to say Don at DAG did a amazing job. He not only custom built the focusing arm back but its like butter and right on the mark. He also took apart the retaining ring and shroud and rebuilt both pieces . It looks like it was never touched. He also filed down the aperture arm on the inside so it don't rub against the mount. I just replaced the mount with the Leitax mount with the chip. Interesting the programming of that chip and need to ask a question. I got it set as a 2.8 lens and 19mm. But when I shoot at F8 it still says 2.8. I'm thinking it does not have a clue that I stopped down since its mechanical . I'm assuming that would be correct .

BSEH

Lens is here and have to say Don at DAG did a amazing job. He not only custom built the focusing arm back but its like butter and right on the mark. He also took apart the retaining ring and shroud and rebuilt both pieces . It looks like it was never touched. He also filed down the aperture arm on the inside so it don't rub against the mount. I just replaced the mount with the Leitax mount with the chip. Interesting the programming of that chip and need to ask a question. I got it set as a 2.8 lens and 19mm. But when I shoot at F8 it still says 2.8. I'm thinking it does not have a clue that I stopped down since its mechanical . I'm assuming that would be correct .
That's right - It's just using the max aperture to do the mat on exposure, there is no connection between the chip and the lens - and no mekanik coupling between the lens and camerabody - as the AI and up Nikon lens have. Thats why you just can set the non cpu settings on your D800E, as put on the chip. But now you don't have to remember to set the Non CPU setting every time you put the Leica lens on..:) Comfort..:)

ShooterSteve

I find myself always forgetting to dig into the menus and set it for the Leica lens I'm using. It's a new discipline I've yet to make a habit. It's wonderful that Lightroom has profiles for the Leica R's, as long as you remember which lens you were using.

Guy Mancuso

That's right - It's just using the max aperture to do the mat on exposure, there is no connection between the chip and the lens - and no mekanik coupling between the lens and camerabody - as the AI and up Nikon lens have. Thats why you just can set the non cpu settings on your D800E, as put on the chip. But now you don't have to remember to set the Non CPU setting every time you put the Leica lens on..:) Comfort..:)
Why I bought the chip. I'm lazy but I did notice it works with matrix metering. Exposures seem good too. I'm heading to Vegas and testing it out along the way. Hope to post something tonight.

Thanks . Just wanted to be sure I was not missing anything in programming. I do like to see at least it's the 19mm when processing. I use C1 to process and need to check PT lens plug in for this lens

Guy Mancuso

BTW shooting I found it no hassle to using stop down again. Especially something like a wide like this since I will be mostly tripod bound anyway with live view. I'm thinking the 28 is next. If I remember correctly they are all the same lens formulas just different hoods and such. I need to check into this first though . I do love the latest version with built in hood but have yet to see one at a reasonable price.

BTW shooting I found it no hassle to using stop down again. Especially something like a wide like this since I will be mostly tripod bound anyway with live view. I'm thinking the 28 is next. If I remember correctly they are all the same lens formulas just different hoods and such. I need to check into this first though . I do love the latest version with built in hood but have yet to see one at a reasonable price.
The latest version of the Elmarit-R 28mm has a different optical formula from the previous one: 8/7 against 8/8 and a floating element.

Guy Mancuso

Okay great wanted to make sure before I looked for one. Just shot a bunch of test images on the 19. Now for some driving fun with it

ShooterSteve

When I was hunting for my Leica R's I only purchased the latest versions of each lens. I believe if they are ROM versions, they are the latest. Stan Tamarkin was my best source of lenses and info in my quest a few years ago.

bayouboy63

Ron:

On your 28mm, the rear shroud should just unscrew. Underneath it is the cam that works the focus shifting of the rear group.
Rob,

Were you refering to Ron's image of his 28mm lens? The part that was hitting the mirror; does that unscrew? Can it be used without that part?

bayouboy63

Many thanks Rob! That did the trick - much appreciated. I have now ground down the shroud and will paint it tomorrow. Photo to follow soon.

I owe you a glass (or cup) of your favorite beverage!
Ron,

Finally saw this post. Have you posted a picture of the finished shroud?

bayouboy63

I have aquired a 100 APO lens. Have questions about focusing. At minimum focus distance and using live view the DOF is extremely narrow even after I stop down to f/16. I'm not use to a lens having a long focus throw. Focusing is very touchy. Is this normal for this lens? I also had to AF fine tune below -15 before focus comfirmation light in view finder confirmed. It seems this lens has very critical focusing adjustments. Do you have to stack photos to have a good DOF on subjects 1:2 mag? Would like to know other views on focusing with this lens. This is my 1st leica lens converted with a Leitax adapter.